Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXVI

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXVI

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17, 04:40 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Ai, yai, yai! Extreme hotness.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-29-17, 04:45 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
eBay score?
Correct. A couple years back someone on the 41 posted a crumpton , same color, and I was smitten. I am not proud my friend, I lusted and coveted said bike. I looked it up , saw the price and the listing and stopped. I wonder, is this perhaps the exact bike? Anyway two weeks ago I receive the news that my Merlin had expired, it was dead, it breathed no more , it was a dead Merlin. I truly was sad, all day I thought of that bike, I knew there was no way my wife was going to allow a similar value purchase. What to do. Ideas flitted through my mourning brain, I considered a new Bianchi from the LBS, yes that LBS. how to pay without upsetting mi espousa. I thought sell my new outback Subaru, we payed cash for it, no loan. Then take 8 k and get the bike I want and get a quality used car with the remainder. My fevered brain was working like Ralphie's in " A Christmas Story". So deluded was I that I mentioned this plan to my better half when I got home. So deluded was I that I actually thought she would see the brilliance of my plan.
"Are you out of your frikin mind?" She had done some research too I discovered and found a Trek on Craigslist for 500. "You can put your new Zipp's on it". I looked at the image. Now it was my turn. "Are you out of your Frikin mind? It has dork discs. It has a kick stand. This belongs outside a college fraternity house, not locked, rusted, and in a snow drift". So onto eBay I went. No, no, , no, maybe, hey wait a minute is that it? Is that my lover I lusted after, what perfection, look at that translucent clear coated magnificent beauty, look at those lines, that horizontal top tube, the absence of tackiness, just high brow beauty". All this mind you, on the very day I was told of Merlins death. So mi espousa considered plan number two, wrestled with the numbers and gave the papal nod.
But espousa is still not happy, irritated a bit. No irritated a lot. It is 9 pm and she states "through all this moaning, conniving, dealing, haven't you horgotten something?" Truly confused I think feverishly, cost? Check, garbage out?check, dog fed and walked? check, dishes done?check. "What, to say thank you and I love you?"
" IT'S MY BIRTHDAY you JERK". Oops,
Old 07-29-17, 04:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Nice score, Stoney - I love the cf frames with the weave peeking through a translucent, tinted finish
Old 07-29-17, 05:05 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Correct. A couple years back someone on the 41 posted a crumpton , same color, and I was smitten. I am not proud my friend, I lusted and coveted said bike. I looked it up , saw the price and the listing and stopped. I wonder, is this perhaps the exact bike? Anyway two weeks ago I receive the news that my Merlin had expired, it was dead, it breathed no more , it was a dead Merlin. I truly was sad, all day I thought of that bike, I knew there was no way my wife was going to allow a similar value purchase. What to do. Ideas flitted through my mourning brain, I considered a new Bianchi from the LBS, yes that LBS. how to pay without upsetting mi espousa. I thought sell my new outback Subaru, we payed cash for it, no loan. Then take 8 k and get the bike I want and get a quality used car with the remainder. My fevered brain was working like Ralphie's in " A Christmas Story". So deluded was I that I mentioned this plan to my better half when I got home. So deluded was I that I actually thought she would see the brilliance of my plan.
"Are you out of your frikin mind?" She had done some research too I discovered and found a Trek on Craigslist for 500. "You can put your new Zipp's on it". I looked at the image. Now it was my turn. "Are you out of your Frikin mind? It has dork discs. It has a kick stand. This belongs outside a college fraternity house, not locked, rusted, and in a snow drift". So onto eBay I went. No, no, , no, maybe, hey wait a minute is that it? Is that my lover I lusted after, what perfection, look at that translucent clear coated magnificent beauty, look at those lines, that horizontal top tube, the absence of tackiness, just high brow beauty". All this mind you, on the very day I was told of Merlins death. So mi espousa considered plan number two, wrestled with the numbers and gave the papal nod.
But espousa is still not happy, irritated a bit. No irritated a lot. It is 9 pm and she states "through all this moaning, conniving, dealing, haven't you horgotten something?" Truly confused I think feverishly, cost? Check, garbage out?check, dog fed and walked? check, dishes done?check. "What, to say thank you and I love you?"
All of us with any marital experience can recast your fanciful story more in line with the true events and come to the obvious conclusion. You are one lucky SOB. Good story though. IIWY, I would stick with it. Oh, and nice bike.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-29-17, 05:06 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Nice looking bike, Stoney. Enjoy it.
Old 07-29-17, 05:08 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
What is up with front tire, it looks like it is touching the downtube. If that is the case; it might be problematic.
That's just my crappy photo skills. I hope.
Old 07-29-17, 05:13 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Thanks. 2007 Crumpton. Pristine condition.
Wait. The fork is 10 years old then. So you are going to replace that, right?

Seriously, what group is going on it??
Old 07-29-17, 05:56 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
How did you guys get the photo.
You posted a link to the pics on Flickr which allowed us to see. On a normal machine, not mobile device, the program has an arc-shaped arrow at the bottom right to the right of the star that allows you to output the picture with bulletin board tags. It also allows you to resize the pic.

Have been never been able to get the same option on their mobile app.

Anyway, here's part of a screen grab.

stone by trsnrtr, on Flickr

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 07-29-17 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-29-17, 06:40 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Epic story, Stoney, and a beautiful frame. Looking forward to seeing it completed. Also, my condolences on the Merlin.
Old 07-29-17, 06:57 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Lol never forget the birthday. That's worse than forgetting the anniversary.
Old 07-29-17, 06:58 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by datlas

I know where he can get one. Hardly used.
Old 07-29-17, 07:00 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Weekend activity. All invited.

Now I know what to do next time I'm in Tenn.
Old 07-29-17, 07:01 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by Heathpack
You need a kickstand...
Old 07-29-17, 08:12 AM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by datlas

Super Record 10 speed from the Merlin.
Old 07-29-17, 08:17 AM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Ai, yai, yai! Extreme hotness.
Indeed! The vagaries of fate are interesting. A few months back I ordered a new chain. Some how I missed that the color of the chain interlocking links were pink. Now that chain will look much better on the Crumpton.
Old 07-29-17, 08:28 AM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
PFD's =good.

My lab wanted to walk out onto the water while the boat was going about 30 mph. Never let go of the collar.
PFD's very good, even for excellent swimmers. Two weeks ago sister of mine was visiting from FL. We go to a lovely little beach on lake Michigans east shore and this was my sisters first view of the Great Lakes. She was stunned, unused to anything but the ocean looking like this. Anyways, we take the canoe and go out a ways for a couple of miles, maybe a half mile off shore. Being the excellent swimmers we are PFD's unnecessary. We capsize in the waves, no PFD's and swim to shore pushing the canoe with us. Stupi stupid stupid! Never again. It. Became abundantly clear as we were swimming, the canoe full, seemingly getting nowhere, that this is how people die on lakes and oceans, this scenario plus just a wee bit of panic that grows and exhausts. Well we did fine and as we got closer to shore an armada of paddle boaters and kayakers met us saying, we had your back man, we were watching you.
Old 07-29-17, 08:37 AM
surgeonstone

Saw Dunkirk last night. Perhaps the best movie I have seen this decade.
Old 07-29-17, 08:44 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
The Crumpton is hot, Stoney. Really hot. I've loved that bike for years as well. If I could post photos, I would post that Crumpton with Enves that was at NAHBS years ago. Sexy.

Great score. Sad to see the Merlin go, but not when it's replaced with a Crumpton.
Old 07-29-17, 08:45 AM
sbxx1985 

Super Record 10 speed from the Merlin.
Excellent.
Old 07-29-17, 08:54 AM
sbxx1985 

It does bother me they took that photo with the fork backwards.
Old 07-29-17, 09:05 AM
sbxx1985 

Hey LAJ - Keith went down again last Saturday. Surgery on Tuesday and released from the hospital yesterday. Washed out on some sand on the way down Flagstaff. Broke his shoulder, collarbone, and destroyed the socket. Broke his Prevail in three places but miraculously only a mild concussion. He's really ****ed up though. His back looks like a great white bit him.

He's done riding bikes. Selling all his stuff.
Old 07-29-17, 09:34 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Hey LAJ - Keith went down again last Saturday. Surgery on Tuesday and released from the hospital yesterday. Washed out on some sand on the way down Flagstaff. Broke his shoulder, collarbone, and destroyed the socket. Broke his Prevail in three places but miraculously only a mild concussion. He's really ****ed up though. His back looks like a great white bit him.

Holy crap, sbxx. Please wish him my best.

Sometimes I wonder if some people are snake-bit, then when the situation is analyzed, there is some logic or an underlying "thing" that can be found. Of course, the Lucky Pie crit can't be explained, because even changing the course, folks went down like dominoes last week. That pos really is snake-bit, and I was sad, then relieved that the Mile High Nationals took me away from that mess on Sunday.

Keith has had a tough road, which is a shame.
Old 07-29-17, 10:01 AM
sbxx1985 

Originally Posted by LAJ
then relieved that the Mile High Nationals took me away from that mess on Sunday.

Keith has had a tough road, which is a shame.
How'd it go on Sunday?

Likely ends the firm's sponsorship of the team.
Old 07-29-17, 10:16 AM
BillyD
Administrator

PFD's very good, even for excellent swimmers. Two weeks ago sister of mine was visiting from FL. We go to a lovely little beach on lake Michigans east shore and this was my sisters first view of the Great Lakes. She was stunned, unused to anything but the ocean looking like this. Anyways, we take the canoe and go out a ways for a couple of miles, maybe a half mile off shore. Being the excellent swimmers we are PFD's unnecessary. We capsize in the waves, no PFD's and swim to shore pushing the canoe with us. Stupi stupid stupid! Never again. It. Became abundantly clear as we were swimming, the canoe full, seemingly getting nowhere, that this is how people die on lakes and oceans, this scenario plus just a wee bit of panic that grows and exhausts. Well we did fine and as we got closer to shore an armada of paddle boaters and kayakers met us saying, we had your back man, we were watching you.
I love love love the water. But I can't swim a lick. So whenever I'm going out on the water I have on a PFD, religiously. I don't care how hot or awkward it makes me or how uncool it looks, I'm wearing it.

Many people are stunned to learn I scuba dive yet can't swim, not realizing that a PFD is standard equipment. I have no fear with a PFD. Plus with the big fins, threading water is 10x easier than unassisted feet. Even the wet suit provides buoyancy. In fact without the weight belt it's very difficult indeed to offset the buoyancy and dive, maybe impossible.
Old 07-29-17, 10:18 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by sbxx1985

Damn! That's sad to hear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.