Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

bike handle bars ?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

bike handle bars ?

Old 06-08-21, 11:30 AM
belatedbiker

Bikes: cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike handle bars ?

Hi everyone! Not sure if this exactly fits in this thread, but I was wondering if the handlebars of a road or hybrid bike make much of a difference when cycling? I've only ever biked with horizontal/straight handlebars on a cruiser, but I've been thinking of purchasing a used road bike with curved handlebars. Is there much of a learning curve or issues with proper form when using either? (I have terrible core strength so I'm worried about my back)
Old 06-08-21, 11:43 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 548 Posts
Personally, I think a road bike is easier on the back than a bike where you sit upright but not all agree. Road bike handlebars offer several different hand positions and that can reduce hand/wrist pain/fatigue. If you ride on the lower portion of the bars (the drops) you may have some neck soreness for a while but you can limit your time in the drops or not use them at all. One thing about a road bike is that it needs to fit your body so do some research on the bike you are interested in and see if it will fit you OK or can be made to fit you by changing the stem and making adjustments. Getting something too big or too small will make it less enjoyable.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-08-21, 11:44 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Drop bars give you a number of different hand positions.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-08-21, 12:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
When I got my first road bike in 2017, which has Shimano STI levers, the key difference was learning how to brake from the hoods, because one is pulling the brake levers at a point much closer to the pivot of the lever compared to a flat bar bike.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-08-21, 12:21 PM
belatedbiker

Bikes: cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you for the info everyone! I'll def look more into the fitting threads or getting measured at a bike shop
Old 06-08-21, 01:37 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Some of us take to drop bars like ducks to water...others don't It can be a little bit of trial and error with bar width, reach, drop...all the metrics Getting a bike fit or doing a bit of research can't do any harm. Over the decades my fitting requirements have changed several times, depending on the bike and my diminishing flexibility
Likes For Bob the Mech: