Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help please: sizes for 1982 Specialized Expedition?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 05:20 PM
digitalbicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm corresponding w/a seller about a 1982 Specialized Expedition. I asked him for a center-to-top seat tube measurement, and he told me 27", then changed it to 24.5", and I'm not sure I'm going to get a really accurate measurement from him.

Does anybody know what sizes were made in 1982? I've tried searching several places, including this site and the Miyata/Specialized touring owners listserv on Yahoo, but haven't found anything.
Old 05-14-08, 05:31 PM
int19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should still have the original catalog that came with mine, (an '84) I'll check tonight and tell you the sizes if you think it will help.
Old 05-14-08, 05:41 PM
digitalbicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by int19
I should still have the original catalog that came with mine, (an '84) I'll check tonight and tell you the sizes if you think it will help.
That would be great, thanks very much. I'd love to know the sizes and also if they're center to center or center to top.
Old 05-14-08, 10:57 PM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't help with the Expedition sizes, but I've found it's easy to judge a bike's size by the length of the headtube - specifically the gap between the top and down tubes. Take a look at bikes known to be your size and you'll quickly learn what looks right. That's assuming you have a photo of the Expedition, of course.

Note: This works best when judging road bikes sized about 50cm and above. Anything smaller, road or mountain and you'll have to consider the top tube slope too since there won't be a gap in the HT.