Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Would you ride a frame with this damage?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-08, 06:09 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

My hopes of flipping this and retiring now dashed, I've decided to give this Miyata 610 frameset away free. However, I don't want to give it away to anyone if the consensus here is that it's dangerous to ride.

The bike came to me with the originally equipped Miyata rear rack. I can't figure how the seatstay was damaged like this unless the rack was impacted somehow. But it shows absolutely no damage itself. The front right handlebar is also bent, but I can't find any evidence of a frontal impact on the frame.

I don't see any cracks at the seatstay rack mount. I don't see any cracks at the joint between the seatstay and the seat tube lug.

I've also included a photo of the opposite seatstay, because it is swayed slightly. I'm wondering it it wasn't designed with a slight sway.

So what say ye? My thought is to offer it free and give the name of the only LBS proprietor I know of in the area who has any know-how regarding steel frames and the equipment to repair them. I'd also suggest it be used as an around-towner, not as a loaded touring bike - unless it is evaluated and repaired by an expert.

On the other hand, I don't want any lawsuits!

Old 05-18-08, 07:40 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
That would be fun. The problem is clamping. To set that frame, you'd have to move it past the original alignment and let it relax back. And you could probably do one at a time.... The proper way appears to be to hook to the rack eyelets and back out the force in the opposite direction. but without some really ingenious clamping, you'd likely break the seat stay welds.
Old 05-18-08, 07:58 PM
coelcanth
hunter, gatherer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
steel is great for it's repairability
this looks like minor damage to me

i would straighten and align it and ride it for sure

i whish i still lived in northern nj because then i could do it for you
Old 05-18-08, 08:03 PM
SoreFeet

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Visit the yellow jersey website and search the repairs section. I don't have exact link but you if you view all the repair work they have done that looks like a walk in the park. You might have a cosmetic blunder but it can for sure be aligned.
Old 05-18-08, 08:08 PM
stevendavid75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride on I say
Old 05-18-08, 08:25 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Well, it's a bit small for me at 57cm, and I really don't need another project. I'm just afraid if I give it away free, someone may ride it as is and risk injury, although I'd bet it could probably be ridden without incident the way it is.
Old 05-18-08, 08:52 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Looks like minor damage to me but ask over at the frame builders subforum and see what they say.
Old 05-18-08, 09:04 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
Well, it's a bit small for me at 57cm, and I really don't need another project. I'm just afraid if I give it away free, someone may ride it as is and risk injury, although I'd bet it could probably be ridden without incident the way it is.
I can barely ride without incident on a new bike..
Old 05-18-08, 09:35 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Way back when, when I was working at a bike shop, a kid brought in a Trek that his mother had run over with her car. The kid was so upset and thought he would have to find another bike, but had no money for one. The seat stays were pretty mangled and the rear wheel was toast. I took the rear wheel out, stood on one seat stay and yanked on the other one. With just some brute force and leverage we aligned the bike in just a few minutes. The kid was estatic, he couldnt believe we could fix his bike so easily. Sold him a cheapo rear wheel and sent him on his way.

I think you can find some sort of leverage point and bend that frame back to straight. No big deal. Go for it.
Old 05-18-08, 10:19 PM
Mike552
Padovano

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, if it was aluminum I'd say no way, but considering it is steel... go for it.
Old 05-19-08, 05:19 AM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Must be something about Miyatas. I scrapped this City Hybrid frame with similar damage. It probably would have been fine if I were keeping it, but since I was planning to flip it, I didn't want to take the risk it would fail on the next guy. Ended up with some real nice components though!

Old 05-19-08, 09:02 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Thanks for all the responses. I would ask on the framebuilders forum, but since I never post there, I'm sure it would be similar to all the 'what's it worth?' threads here.

Assuming the brazing at the seat cluster doesn't pop, won't bending the stay back fatigue the steel? Does straightening it offer any strength advantage? Is it more likely to fold as is?

It doesn't appear to have affected the alignment of the rear DOs, at least to my untrained eye, and a wheel can easily be centered.
Old 05-19-08, 11:53 AM
tolfan
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The owner of the lbs here is also an expert frame builder . I think he could fix that no problem. He has set worse problems strait for me. Hint Hint.
Old 05-19-08, 03:35 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I don't see anyone clamoring to purchase this jewel....

Whatsamattah? Maybe no one remembers the things we did to bikes just to keep them working.

Am I the only one who had a vise grip seat post clamp when I was a kid?
Old 05-19-08, 03:39 PM
tolfan
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
look at the post before yours
Old 05-19-08, 04:18 PM
Kinetikx
Eater of carbs

Bikes: 1989 Trek 330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My pretty much uneducated gut feeling is that it should be fine. That area has plenty of bracing around it. The only thing that gives me pause is that it's an area that has been brazed so it might already be fatigued. I would give it away with the caveat that the new owner looks at it after every ride for signs of more damage. And maybe have them sign an "I'm not responsible if this thing breaks and you die" sort of release?
Old 05-19-08, 08:00 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
My Raleigh Gran Sport fixie has worse damage than that - which is why I fixied it rather than a proper restoration. I've ridden it in one incarnation or another since 2005, and it's done just fine.

I will not sell it however.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 05-19-08, 09:11 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Doesn't seem too bad. I'd try to straighten it laying two wooden blocks on the floor, putting the stay's ends on them and stepping carefully on the bend.
Old 05-20-08, 01:17 AM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bending the stays back will work harden them.
You can always just get them replaced if the idea of bending them back makes you nervous.
Old 05-20-08, 04:20 AM
urodacus
Large Member

Bikes: 05 Giant TCR 0; 94 Le Mond Alpe d'Huez; 83 Colnago Saronni; 81 San Rensho Katana Super Export track bike, #A116-56; 97 GT Zaskar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
work hardening doesn't happen appreciably after one cycle. it takes hundreds or thousands to crack something.

trust me, i've walked a long way in crampons before they've broken. if you had to reset the stays every ride, that's different. but one cold set more or less won't really break the camel's back, surely.

try it with a paper clip, and tehre you're bending the iron through nearly 180 degrees each time...

anyway, who's gonna buy your bike. I mean, it's so OLD. :grin:
Old 05-20-08, 07:26 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I'd align the rear dropouts as best as possible and leave the rest as is. Looks like someone 'flipped it' doing a wheelie rf it was hit by a car....
Old 05-20-08, 08:55 AM
mrmw

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Super Sport S/P, 1984 Miyata 610, 1985 Panasonic LX 1000, Centurion Pro Tour 15 1983

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoreFeet
Visit the yellow jersey website and search the repairs section. I don't have exact link but you if you view all the repair work they have done that looks like a walk in the park. You might have a cosmetic blunder but it can for sure be aligned.
+1. Experienced, professional, competent and reasonably priced.