Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bearings Vs. Loose Balls

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bearings Vs. Loose Balls

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-08, 06:00 AM
morten_beta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearings Vs. Loose Balls

Hi All!

I am currently fixing up an older road bike. Doing a single speed conversion and giving it a full cleaning, lubrication, painting the frame and replacing worn our parts. It is a mid 80ies Peugeot. Currently the headset has a Ball Bearing on top and loose balls on the bottom, however I lost a couple of the loose balls, and now I need to replace them, but I am wondering if I could put a bearing on the bottom to?

I tried just placing the top one on the bottom and I thought it gave a smoother feeling, but I am wondering if the bearing can handle the pressure, or if that is why there are balls now? Any insights?

I read somewhere that bearings give a larger contact surface on each balls, which should be an advantage. But my logic tells me that balls will be able to hold mere weight!?

Anyway, help or advice wanted.

morten_beta
Old 06-22-08, 06:36 AM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I think you're confusing loose balls and caged balls. Loose is better. (unless you're running a bike factory)
Old 06-22-08, 07:00 AM
turtle77
break-beats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, replace all of the bearings, both loose and caged, with loose bearings. And don't just repack the old loose ones as they ovalize with use and once they are even slightly out of their original position, they'll never quite work right again. Don't skimp here, it's not an expensive investment.
Old 06-22-08, 08:53 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by turtle77
Yeah, replace all of the bearings, both loose and caged, with loose bearings. And don't just repack the old loose ones as they ovalize with use and once they are even slightly out of their original position, they'll never quite work right again. Don't skimp here, it's not an expensive investment.
More importantly is never to mix and match bearings. What the OP planned to do was replace the one he lost, bad idea.

Buy bearings in whole sets, install them in whole sets. NEVER mix them with old ones, or even new ones bought at a different time or place.
Old 06-22-08, 01:15 PM
evan_phi
iPwn.

Location: Sackville (School)/Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Bikes: 2004 Norco Wolverine (Blue) set up with Semi-Slicks. Mid-1970's Raleigh, converted to single seed, (soon to be) all white.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they both said everything before me, but I will just add to check out sheldon brown's site on bearing sizing, etc.

good stuff.
Old 06-22-08, 01:24 PM
morten_beta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to replace all the balls, with either all new balls or caged balls, was'nt planning on mix match. So as I understand, I replace both the top caged, and the bottom loose balls to be on the good side?

Does the same go for the crank bearings? Replace not just re-grease - they look fine except for old grease, but I am thinking if they tend to oval to.
Old 06-22-08, 01:26 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Loose balls come in a bag or bottle and are very cheap compared to many of the other things we need to buy for our bikes. I got mine from my LBS but I know them well and they sold me a bag at their cost. If your LBS wants to sell you just what you need at some inflated price per ball then get around to a bearing supply outlet. They'll have the bags o' balls for cheaper. A bag of 100 1/8 sized balls (I think that's what headsets use) should not be more than somewhere around $5. While you're there you should buy similar bags for the two wheel bearing sizes.
Old 06-22-08, 03:00 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
One other thing: bearing balls come in different grades. I like to get the Grade 25 balls for the little extra money it costs-
Old 06-22-08, 03:15 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Did a little searching and the grade number refers to the spherical tolerance of the balls. The grade is the number of millionth's of an inch that the ball in the pack is allowed to be out of round. So the lower the number the better the grade of ball.

Grade 25 does seem to be the best you can get generally. It's up to you to set the value based on your price vs desire for the "best for your baby". Grade 25 on one page was compared to Campy's best product and I'm sure that your average day to day mid line bike would use grade 100 or more. Certainly there were enough bicycle online dealers selling grade 300 loose balls to say this is the case. If 300 is an acceptable standard I'd probably look at the pricing for grades 100, 50 and 25 and choose the best bang for the buck unless the difference is truly just a little more as well biked suggests. I suspect prices may vary depending on your region and the presence of bigger bearing dealers.
Old 06-22-08, 06:11 PM
Cadfael

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have known the cage in cage bearing to break up and make a mess of the cup and cone... so it is always loose bearings for me. As said above, when I service the BB I replace with new, they are not expensive so you may as well do the job right.
Old 06-22-08, 06:32 PM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Depending upon where your LBS buys their bearings, availability may vary. Many distributors stock grade-3, grade-5 and grade-10 bearings as well. Nice thing about loose-bearings on headsets is spreading out the force among larger number of contact-points, leading to better wear and smoother operation. Also if the headset race is slightly pitted from previous retainer-bearings, using loose-balls will remove the gritty "index" action of the headset. The new contact points of the loose-bearings no longer line up with all of the positions of the bearings in the retainer.