Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano PD-6207 and SM-PD64, Compatible?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-21, 12:24 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts

Looking for experience and advice.

I have a set of Shimano 600EX pedals (PD-6207) and a set of 600 Ultegra pedals (PD-6400, 600 tricolor, the next generation from 6207) and I'm trying to utilize the same set of cleats and shoes to work with both. The Shimano-made cleat, SM-PD64, works perfectly with the 600 Ultegra pedal with the wings on the pedal and the wings on the cleat interfacing with no issue.

The 600EX pedals have a very similar interface, but do not interface with the wings on the cleat. My troubleshooting seems to show that the wings on the pedal/toe clip are slightly thicker on the 600EX toe clip plate compared to the 600 Ultegra plate, and prevents the wings of the cleat from engaging on both sides. I reviewed the Shimano technical documents repository for images or product numbers for cleats used with the 600EX pedal and came up empty-handed.

Has anyone used the Shimano cleats with 600EX pedals? Did you need to make modifications to get it to work? What did you modify?
Old 07-26-21, 02:15 PM
Zephrat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What cleats for Shimano dura ace Dyna drive pedals

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam

I have a set of Shimano 600EX pedals (PD-6207) and a set of 600 Ultegra pedals (PD-6400, 600 tricolor, the next generation from 6207) and I'm trying to utilize the same set of cleats and shoes to work with both. The Shimano-made cleat, SM-PD64, works perfectly with the 600 Ultegra pedal with the wings on the pedal and the wings on the cleat interfacing with no issue.

The 600EX pedals have a very similar interface, but do not interface with the wings on the cleat. My troubleshooting seems to show that the wings on the pedal/toe clip are slightly thicker on the 600EX toe clip plate compared to the 600 Ultegra plate, and prevents the wings of the cleat from engaging on both sides. I reviewed the Shimano technical documents repository for images or product numbers for cleats used with the 600EX pedal and came up empty-handed.

Has anyone used the Shimano cleats with 600EX pedals? Did you need to make modifications to get it to work? What did you modify?
Hi Unca-Sam, I have two bikes with the Shimano Dura ace 600 AX dyna drive pedals and bough t two new cleats Shimano SM PD64 to fit on new Vittoria shoes. BUT it looks like the SM PD64 do not slot on the Dyna Drive pedals wings just like you describe. I have gone online to see if I can see a picture of what cleats go with these pedals but I have found mothing. I hope we will find someone who knows of someone who was using them in the eighties.
P
Old 11-30-21, 01:59 AM
luns

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam

I used to ride exactly that combination - the SM-PD64 with PD-6207. I believe the cleats, when sold separately from the the pedals, included the front plate with the appropriate shape wings to mate with. That plate fits perfectly on the 6207. Shimano's instructions say you need the Ultegra rear plate too, but I never swapped that and it worked fine.

see SI-R-26-000-00-ENG_GER_FRA.pdf (shimano.com)
SI-P-76A-000-00-ENG.pdf (shimano.com)
EV-PD-6207-0593E.pdf (shimano.com)
EV-PD-6400-0823C.pdf (shimano.com)

Oddly, the cleat being plastic which can wear out, wasn't available without the front plate, but the metal front plate that's more durable than the cleat was available on its own.

I have a few extra sets of 6207 and 6400 pedals. I can't remember for sure if all the front spacers are the right ones for the SM-PD64, but I do remember making some trades in that direction. It may be weeks or months before I get to dig them up to see if my old shoes (with very worn cleats) will mesh with them or not, but I'll try to remember to do so.

P.S. Boo Shimano for recycling the SM-PD64 as the part number for the optional reflector for some flat pedals

Last edited by luns; 11-30-21 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-30-21, 07:08 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The New 600EX (6207) pedals did not have a dedicated cleat. They were introduced for the 1984 model year and were intended for a traditonal, slotted cleat. Then, Look introduced their revolutionary clipless pedal system. In 1987 Shimano obtained a Look license and for the 1988 model year introduced their first clipless pedal system. At the same time they introduced 600 Ultegra with a cleat that used the Look mounting system and was intended to produced a more positive engagment, closer to clipless pedals.

While the front plates are similar for New 600EX and 600 Ultegra, they are not the same. Shimano revised the shape, eliminating the compound angles on the former and reducing the angle between the two sides, allowing the cleat engagement extensions to extend further backwards. There may also be more relief on the unnderside to engage the cleats' wings. It appears that if you ground or filed away the underside the extension, forward to where the angle changed, that you could bend them to the correct angle. This looks like it would produce sufficient rearward extension to engage the cleats wings. You may have to also relieve the the underside of the extensions somewhat.

Last edited by T-Mar; 11-30-21 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-30-21, 02:47 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Yes, the plan is to install the 6400 front plates onto the 6207 pedals.
Old 11-30-21, 10:12 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Somebody needs to start 3D printing PD-64 cleats. I've seen NOS ones go for like 300 bucks. Not the pedals. Just a pair of cleats in a plastic bag.

--Shannon
Old 12-01-21, 10:26 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by ShannonM
Somebody needs to start 3D printing PD-64 cleats. I've seen NOS ones go for like 300 bucks. Not the pedals. Just a pair of cleats in a plastic bag.

--Shannon
They're nice, but not absolutely necessary to use the pedals. A regular slotted cleat will work fine since the foot retention system wasn't designed to be used without a clip anyway. I've found that the cleats are substantially more difficult to use compared to a regular slotted cleat or a plain toe clip because the front wings catch the back plate often before the toe of the shoe is far enough inside the clip. Perhaps it's another one of the reasons why this design was short-lived.
Old 04-18-22, 07:24 AM
Tedbaz
Steel rider

Bikes: 83 RedK; 84 DeRosa; 95 Trek 750; 89 Univega Grantech; 78 Peter Mooney; 81 Schwinn SuperSport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Tricolor pedals

Ihave been using the pedals on my Grantech without any cleat on my shoes. I second the call for a 3D printer version! A great project for a high school student…