Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zipp 303S with tubes?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Zipp 303S with tubes?

Old 11-29-21, 05:05 PM
Vavida52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Zipp 303S with tubes?

Hi, I am planning to get the Zipp 303S wheels for my road bike. I want to use the wheels with inner tubes (preferably latex tubes with TL Ready tires). Most of the riders will use them tubeless I assume. But maybe there are some others who are riding with tubes.

Will it work with no doubts? I have read somewhere that SRAM suggests riding with tubes only in case of e.g. a puncture.
Old 11-30-21, 08:45 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Vavida52
Hi, I am planning to get the Zipp 303S wheels for my road bike. I want to use the wheels with inner tubes (preferably latex tubes with TL Ready tires). Most of the riders will use them tubeless I assume. But maybe there are some others who are riding with tubes.

Will it work with no doubts? I have read somewhere that SRAM suggests riding with tubes only in case of e.g. a puncture.
So I guess I'm curious as to why you'd opt for a hookless setup just to run with tubes, which means you're running heavier tires (TL) plus tubes, while also negating the advantage of sealant protection?
Old 11-30-21, 08:54 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
I would guess that tubes will run just fine. But if you really want info, why not just contact the manufacturer?
Old 11-30-21, 10:54 AM
Vavida52

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So I guess I'm curious as to why you'd opt for a hookless setup just to run with tubes, which means you're running heavier tires (TL) plus tubes, while also negating the advantage of sealant protection?
I am not into that weight game to be honest. I think that the 303S are nice wheels Overall and affordable for what they are and I want to try them out. Going tubeless is no option for me because I don't want to mess with that fluid stuff when I would eventually have a puncture during the ride.
Old 11-30-21, 11:21 AM
Vavida52

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I would guess that tubes will run just fine. But if you really want info, why not just contact the manufacturer?
That is what I will have to do I guess.
Old 11-30-21, 11:26 AM
Koyote

I am not into that weight game to be honest. I think that the 303S are nice wheels Overall and affordable for what they are and I want to try them out. Going tubeless is no option for me because I don't want to mess with that fluid stuff when I would eventually have a puncture during the ride.
By the way, the text in bold font expresses one of the most common misconceptions about tubeless. Tubeless means that you will rarely (if ever) have to deal with a puncture...and when/if you do have a puncture, you will repair it EXACTLY as you do with a standard tube+clincher setup.

I'm not trying to sway you either way, but you might want to read up (to gain understanding) before making a decision about tubeless.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-30-21, 11:41 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I used TL on the road for a few years til I had a pretty good size cut that wouldn't seal. It was such a mess that as soon as I got home I went back to tubes. It's (for me...with my experience) not worth it to run TL on the road. That said, TL is the ONLY way to go for the mountain bike and I'll be converting my BMX bike to TL as soon as I can find the Michelin tires.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-30-21, 11:47 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Its a hookless rim, thus You must use a Zipp approved TL tyre, no clinchers, no exceptions. You can however use a tube in the TL tyre. But why would you?
Old 11-30-21, 03:28 PM
Vavida52

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Its a hookless rim, thus You must use a Zipp approved TL tyre, no clinchers, no exceptions. You can however use a tube in the TL tyre. But why would you?
Where would I find a list of Zipp approved TL tyres? All I can find in their page is that every tyre works which has any TL Label on it.

Edit:
They state for some specific Conti, Specialized and Zipp tyres which are compatible. The other Brands seem to be compatible in general if they are TL tyres.

Last edited by Vavida52; 11-30-21 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-30-21, 04:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Where would I find a list of Zipp approved TL tyres? All I can find in their page is that every tyre works which has any TL Label on it.

Edit:
They state for some specific Conti, Specialized and Zipp tyres which are compatible. The other Brands seem to be compatible in general if they are TL tyres.
sorta.. you need to cross reference with the actual tire makers and the specific models, and sometimes even the width within the model drives exclusions.

Kinda weird that afaik Zipp only sells tubeless or tubular road wheels, but the only road tire they sell is neither.
Old 11-30-21, 04:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts

Edit:
I have the Zipp 303S. I love them.... but you shouldn't get them. They're for people that are committed to tubeless.

If you want to use tubes, go get some of the newish Bontragers if you want wide, moderately deep, relatively light, and not terribly expensive wheels.

​​​​​
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-30-21, 04:28 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Kinda weird that afaik Zipp only sells tubeless or tubular road wheels, but the only road tire they sell is neither.
They have tubeless Tagente unless they were recently discontinued. If they were recently discontinued, it was probably to introduce new ones under hookless ETRTO guidelines.

​​​​​
Old 12-01-21, 06:25 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I would get a set of wheels with hooked rims if I were dead set against tubeless.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 12-01-21, 11:29 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I have the Zipp 303S. I love them.... but you shouldn't get them. They're for people that are committed to tubeless.

If you want to use tubes, go get some of the newish Bontragers if you want wide, moderately deep, relatively light, and not terribly expensive wheels.

​​​​​
I concur with this as a 303S owner as well. You could run a tube but this is a wheel meant for those who have adopted tubeless. I carry a spare tube regardless while riding for emergency.

Answering the OP's question on approved tires...
https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/ar...hookless-rims-

I'm running the SWorks Turbo in 28c; they're pricey but so far they've been great. They seated quickly with a track pump and retains air pressure for weeks.
Old 12-01-21, 11:45 AM
Vavida52

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the feedback which I was kinda expecting.I received the wheels today and will definitely try my luck with inner tubes. Also received feedback from zipp that I may use tubes if the other criteria are fulfilled (max. Pressure and TL tyre).
Old 12-05-21, 02:10 PM
Vavida52

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Just a quick update:

Installed Panaracer Gravelking slicks in 700x32c. Installation was easy as I would have expected. The loud banging noise was a bit shocking when seating the tyre as it was very loud (should be a good sign for the tube setup I guess). Tyre sits perfectly and overall look is very nice. Could not test it yet except for 1hr of zwift.
Old 12-06-21, 10:03 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
This is a trend I've noticed as well. I run tubes on my 32mm road bike. only have a flat every other year if that. I would like to get a nice set of Carbon wheels. Not wanting to switch to tubeless but most of the wheels offered are tubeless only.
Old 12-06-21, 12:24 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Razorrock
Not wanting to switch to tubeless but most of the wheels offered are tubeless only.
Very much not true. A few of the newest models from Zipp are tubeless only, ENVE has a handful, and Giant has a few - of the major players, that's about all of the tubeless-only wheels on the market; it's a small percentage of the total.

If you're talking tubeless ready/compatible, sure - most of the current model wheels are compatible, but you don't need to run tubeless tires on them.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-06-21, 12:47 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts

​​​​​
Agreed - works well for me.
Old 12-07-21, 01:21 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Very much not true. A few of the newest models from Zipp are tubeless only, ENVE has a handful, and Giant has a few - of the major players, that's about all of the tubeless-only wheels on the market; it's a small percentage of the total.

If you're talking tubeless ready/compatible, sure - most of the current model wheels are compatible, but you don't need to run tubeless tires on them.
I'm looking for a carbon disk wheelset. something in the 35mm - 45mm deep running 32mm tires. (conti 5000) Enve or Zipp would be 1st choice but open to other manufactures. I keep running into hookless options. What am i missing?
Old 12-07-21, 01:25 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Swiss side and Reynolds make nice wheels without silly dimples.
Old 12-07-21, 01:38 PM
WhyFi

What am i missing?
A lot. As I said, only a handful out there are tubeless only, but you seem to be intent on the two brands that are pushing hookless/tubeless. Look at just about any other brands.
Old 12-07-21, 01:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I'm looking for a carbon disk wheelset. something in the 35mm - 45mm deep running 32mm tires. (conti 5000) Enve or Zipp would be 1st choice but open to other manufactures. I keep running into hookless options. What am i missing?
There's a lot of brands out there that meet your spec. Campagnolo WTO, Fulcrum Speeds, Lightbicycle, Bontrager (who I've heard has a pretty excellent warranty). Also these, which seem intriguing with a 21mm inner rim width but 30mm external width -- a bit out of the ordinary: https://ffwdusa.com/product/road/ryot-dt240-exp/
Old 12-07-21, 01:52 PM
Koyote

A lot. As I said, only a handful out there are tubeless only, but you seem to be intent on the two brands that are pushing hookless/tubeless. Look at just about any other brands.
Seems like at least a few people are more interested in the big brand names than in an appropriate design, which is weird.
Old 12-07-21, 02:00 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
I have to ask the same question as well. The ride quality with a tubeless tire run with a tube is not going to be nearly as good compared to running that same tubless tire with some sealant. The learning curve is not bad. The ride quality with full road tubeless set ups was a revelation for me. People seem to think that flat avoidance is your biggest priority and sure this is important. But folks are selling themselves short by not seeking the inherent benefits of some nice tubleless road tires. Being able to ride 25mm tires with mid 60 psi pressures front and mid 70's psi in the rear is entirely possible for a person like myself who is not exactly a lightweight (I weigh ~ #195). Running tubed tires that low would lead to more flats for you. But inflating your tubeless approved tires with inner tubes will require higher pressures which sort of defeats the purpose of your awesome wheels since you have now just dialed the ride quality right into the "crap" category.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.