Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Old 10-14-21, 05:37 PM
Gravel Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Installed bolt-on top tube and frame bags on my Niner.
Looks like both bags are bolt on?
Likes For Gravel Rider:
Old 10-15-21, 08:55 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravel Rider
Looks like both bags are bolt on?
Yes, they're both bolt on. The top tube bag has the standard two bolt arrangement that's appearing on more bikes lately, and the frame bag has 2 bolts on the underside of the top tube along with one on the downtube. There's a stiffener than runs the full length of the top of the bag that allows the 2 bolts to provide sufficient support. The single downtube bolt also has a stiffener that goes between the bolt/washer and bag.
Old 10-20-21, 10:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
I just grabbed some new pedals and shoes, Xpedo CXR and Mavic Crossmax Elite!

I’ve been wanting to do the SPD conversion on my Favero Assioma powermeter pedals, but balked at spending $290 for the well-touted XpedoM-Force 8 pedals with the ultimately useless Ti spindles. I mean, the SRAM Force crank spider PM is only $300, so if I’m spending that kind of money, I’d obviously just get that and not fuss with pedals. When I discovered the less expensive and just 30g heavier CXR models worked as well and cost only $90, that was a no-brainer.

I’d been wanting some SPD shoes to match my club kit either way, so I tried out these Crossmax Elite in orange. The seem comfy; the insole is particularly plush, and the tongue wraps from one side of the footbed to the other side with a soft, neoprene-like material, so that gives some extra plushness around the foot, too. However, they’re also not the stiffest soles; I’ve been using old Bont A3s with the fiberglass tub, and those things are brutally stiff. The Mavic I can flex a bit just with my hands; sure, I’m a ripped pec-deck (), but that’s a fairly non-stiff sole. It’s not crazy bendy, so I’m sure they’ll be fine. I do like the dial strap adjuster, because unlike Boa which needs the knob pulled out to loosen, this one just turns counter clockwise a click and the line is free. It’s easier.

Oh, and don’t worry, I have absolutely no intention of ever wearing these hideous, peach colored Supacaz socks with the shoes!

Favero Assioma SPD conversion using Xpedo CXR

Assioma SPD conversion using Xpedo CXR

Mavic Crossmax Elite MTB shoe in orange
Old 10-20-21, 10:12 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Oh, and don’t worry, I have absolutely no intention of ever wearing these hideous, peach colored Supacaz socks with the shoes!
It maybe the photo but I was just admiring how matchy-matchy the new shoes looked with those socks.
Old 10-20-21, 10:30 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by bOsscO
It maybe the photo but I was just admiring how matchy-matchy the new shoes looked with those socks.
Yeah, it’s the pic; they’re just off matchy-matchy enough to look totally 🤮 with the shoes!
Old 11-04-21, 05:16 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

For no good reason other than my own ostentation, I replaced a perfectly comfy Fizik Argo Tempo in Les Classiques finish with a San Marco ShortFit Racing in iridescent purple. Sure, it was probably the least expensive way for me to shave 60g off the bike, but the honest truth is that I bought it for the bling.

Selle San Marco ShortFit Racing in iridescent purple
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-04-21, 12:33 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I like those magenta pops of color off of a muted grey frame.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 12-01-21, 06:04 AM
inspclouseau

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

400x27.2 Whisky no7 offset carbon seatpost since the current 350mm Easton seatpost is basically right at the min insert line and there is a slight clicking every now and then from somewhere in the saddle/seatpost area. This will give more surface area inside the seat tube and maybe itll feel different from the aluminum seatpost its replacing.
how’d that seatpost work out for you? Looking to replace my salsa alloy guide for something more comfy and subtle looks like this.
Old 12-01-21, 08:46 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Not sure if I had posted this but I got the Redshift Sports suspension stem and seat post for my Stigmata. These are the best mods yet...transforms the ride. The only thing I can think of (if I come into some money) is a light carbon wheelset so I can drop a couple of hundred grams.
Old 12-01-21, 09:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by inspclouseau
how’d that seatpost work out for you? Looking to replace my salsa alloy guide for something more comfy and subtle looks like this.
I do like it- there is noticeably more flex compared to my older Easton aluminum seatpost. The flex isnt really better or worse, its just something I know is different.
The design they use to set saddle angle is interesting- the front bolt is a hand tightening washer of sorts and you then tighten the rear bolt with a hex wrench. It is simpler than the two different Ritchey 2-bolt seatposts I have and about the same ease as the Easton seatbolt process. To me, that is a big separator for seatposts- how much struggle is there to just attach a saddle. It seems like some are designed with overly difficult and fiddly bolt setups.

Unfortunately, swapping seatposts didnt stop the noise that I thought was being made due to too little seatpost in the frame/too much leverage. New seatpost and same clicking at the seatpost collar. Next up- a different seatpost collar.
Old 12-01-21, 09:33 AM
inspclouseau

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I do like it- there is noticeably more flex compared to my older Easton aluminum seatpost. The flex isnt really better or worse, its just something I know is different.
The design they use to set saddle angle is interesting- the front bolt is a hand tightening washer of sorts and you then tighten the rear bolt with a hex wrench. It is simpler than the two different Ritchey 2-bolt seatposts I have and about the same ease as the Easton seatbolt process. To me, that is a big separator for seatposts- how much struggle is there to just attach a saddle. It seems like some are designed with overly difficult and fiddly bolt setups.

Unfortunately, swapping seatposts didnt stop the noise that I thought was being made due to too little seatpost in the frame/too much leverage. New seatpost and same clicking at the seatpost collar. Next up- a different seatpost collar.
thanks for the feedback. Your click may be the saddle. Had that before with an Antares. Sounded like the post down low, ended up being where the rails attach to the saddle itself. (Not the rails to post clamp) Discovered by squirting some lube in there.
Old 12-01-21, 11:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by inspclouseau
thanks for the feedback. Your click may be the saddle. Had that before with an Antares. Sounded like the post down low, ended up being where the rails attach to the saddle itself. (Not the rails to post clamp) Discovered by squirting some lube in there.
Thanks for the suggestion- I actually thought it was the saddle when it first happened and took the saddle apart to clean the rails and lube. I actually figured I addressed the issue with a change in saddle earlier. I had an older Brooks C17 on it and swapped it out with a new C17.
The old C17 is on a different bike and doesnt click.

This is like my own sad mini version of Poe's Tell Tale Heart story.
Old 12-01-21, 11:25 AM
inspclouseau

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion- I actually thought it was the saddle when it first happened and took the saddle apart to clean the rails and lube. I actually figured I addressed the issue with a change in saddle earlier. I had an older Brooks C17 on it and swapped it out with a new C17.
The old C17 is on a different bike and doesnt click.

This is like my own sad mini version of Poe's Tell Tale Heart story.
if it makes you feel better I have a bottom bracket creak.

still there after replaced wheel hub bearings, new chain ring, new bottom bracket, new chain, new cassette, new pedals. Pretty convinced the original issue was the hub bearings and the new bottom bracket introduced a new creak.
Old 12-01-21, 11:31 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 440 Posts
I just ordered a Poseidon X frameset, since they're back in-stock. Can't really go wrong with an alloy frame and carbon fork for $299. Shipping is currently free for the holidays as well. I'm planning to build out a GRX Poseidon X.

https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...13275983872023
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 12-05-21, 08:11 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I bought replacement bleed port caps for my GRX brifters. My front one stripped even using a new good quality hex wrench.
Old 12-07-21, 01:48 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

It only took 5 ½ months to get here…

My new Cross Check and brakes were restocked last Saturday.

Now I’ll have a Cross Check commuter, a Cross Check “gravel bike” and a Karate Monkey “gravel +” bike
Old 12-09-21, 08:59 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Recently picked up a Kenda Sabre Pro TR 27.5x2.4 for the front. 513gm and 57mm.
Added to my supple tyre collection.

May grab a 29x2.0 sometime.
Old 12-11-21, 04:54 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I just put a State Bicycle Co. oil slick colored seatpost on my gravel cruiser, reversing on an earlier decision to avoid it, fearing it would be over-the-top. It still may be, but when I switched from the blue Supacaz saddle with the oil slick rails to an all black SQ Lab 611 Active, the black seatpost just made the top end feel too dull, ergo the SBC.

It does match up with the ColorFlow fenders really well, and i’ve got the matching SBC oil slick handlebar, so the whole thing is “of a piece,” as they say.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-11-21, 05:39 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I just put a State Bicycle Co. oil slick colored seatpost on my gravel cruiser, reversing on an earlier decision to avoid it, fearing it would be over-the-top. It still may be, but when I switched from the blue Supacaz saddle with the oil slick rails to an all black SQ Lab 611 Active, the black seatpost just made the top end feel too dull, ergo the SBC.

It does match up with the ColorFlow fenders really well, and i’ve got the matching SBC oil slick handlebar, so the whole thing is “of a piece,” as they say.

Very nice looking!

how do you like the saddle? I tried an Ergon recently and thought it was super comfortable...for an hour. Then my right leg under the thigh started hurting and I thought it may have to do with the square profile interfering with my down stroke. I may still try this saddle one day though
Old 12-11-21, 09:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Noonievut
Very nice looking!

how do you like the saddle? I tried an Ergon recently and thought it was super comfortable...for an hour. Then my right leg under the thigh started hurting and I thought it may have to do with the square profile interfering with my down stroke. I may still try this saddle one day though
Thanks!

The SQ Lab saddle has done me well on 20ish mile rides. I had a similar experience initially, in that it felt great immediately, but then got a little awkward. However, I adapted quickly, and find it perfectly comfortable for a couple of hours. Not that it becomes uncomfortable, rather I’ve just not ridden it longer.

I will say, though, that this would not be my go-to saddle for a race bike, as it seems to suit me better when I’m in one position, at moderate effort. I’ve not tried to do hard rides off it, but I can imagine the shape is not great for moving all over, hammering, with an aggressive forward-tilt pelvis.
Old 12-12-21, 11:03 AM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Ordered an Old Man Mountain rear rack along with Ortlieb Gravel Packs. Researching tents and sleeping bags for bike packing this coming year.
Old 12-13-21, 05:36 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Ortlieb fork pack

I ordered and received fork packs. I just have to figure out how to mount with my fenders mounted. Or do I take fender off?

I love my fenders
Old 12-13-21, 08:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Gravel Rider
Ordered an Old Man Mountain rear rack along with Ortlieb Gravel Packs. Researching tents and sleeping bags for bike packing this coming year.
Didnt realize Ortlieb markets a gravel specific pannier now. It looks like their Sport Roller model with a slightly different connection system. Interesting.
Old 12-29-21, 06:01 AM
Noonievut

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Got a Redshift Pro stem. Looking to make my rides on gravel more comfy this year
Old 12-30-21, 01:33 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Pirelli Cintauro M tires in 650bx50 for my DT Swiss GRC 1400 wheelset. I mention the wheelset because mounted the tires meaure 54mm. They are definitely not “fast,” but they work great on rough surfaces, mud, and single-tracks.

Likes For Badger6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.