Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Very Aggressive Rider On MUP

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Very Aggressive Rider On MUP

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-21, 12:53 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by DDzBike
Dealing with people like this are what Kryptonite locks a made for
There might be though a problem if other person does not have a Kryptonite lock but have a gun.
Don't bring a Kryptonite lock to a gun fight!

Seriously, IMHO, the best is to avoid confrontation, you don't know who you are dealing with, including hardened criminals and people with mental problems, that will not even get prosecuted for crimes.
Likes For rowerek:
Old 10-25-21, 12:56 PM
DDzBike

Bikes: Giant Anyroad Comax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek
There might be though a problem if other person does not have a Kryptonite lock but have a gun.

Seriously, IMHO, the best is to avoid confrontation, you don't know who you are dealing with, including hardened criminals and people with mental problems, that will not even get prosecuted for crimes.
Hey dude, what is that bulge in your cycling shorts?
Old 10-25-21, 01:42 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Frame pump to the spokes, then a sucker punch to help him up.
Old 10-27-21, 10:56 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek

Just a reminder that being a disagreeable and confrontational jerk is not necessarily a criminal offense. However, many of the suggested responses would constitute tampering with property or assault, both of which generally are criminal offenses.

Otto
Old 10-27-21, 11:22 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Just a reminder that being a disagreeable and confrontational jerk is not necessarily a criminal offense. However, many of the suggested responses would constitute tampering with property or assault, both of which generally are criminal offenses.

Otto
threatening someone with physical harm verbally is a crime. It is an assault. You don't have to hit someone to assault them. Just threaten them with physical harm.
_-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by gobicycling; 10-27-21 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-27-21, 12:19 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
threatening someone with physical harm verbally is a crime. It is an assault. You don't have to hit someone to assault them. Just threaten them with physical harm.
Of course. But according to the OP, there was no actual threat. The rider cut him off too close, stopped when he objected, got angry, said “what are you going to do about it?”, cursed him and rode off. None of that seems to constitute an actual threat of immediate physical harm.

Otto
Old 10-29-21, 11:41 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Our entire culture is on the edge of rage, it seems. Sorry to see people so angry while engaging a peaceful and happy activity. Good for you in your response.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 10-29-21, 01:04 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Originally Posted by ofajen
Of course. But according to the OP, there was no actual threat. The rider cut him off too close, stopped when he objected, got angry, said “what are you going to do about it?”, cursed him and rode off. None of that seems to constitute an actual threat of immediate physical harm.

Otto
not in this case, but perhaps the information might be useful to others in the future, which is why I posted it.
Old 10-29-21, 04:52 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
it's assault. report it. call the local police station, tell the story, tell it twice. the call is recorded. don't wait for an opinion. it doesn't matter. you made the report it's on record. there's no discussion with the police. you reported the assault. if it happens again & it sounds like it already did, before you, & the other ppl report it, it's a pattern of behavior. a repeat offender. it's not your job to connect the dots, it the obligation of law enforcement. make the call. describe the couple & the bikes. explain it twice. thank them for listening. say goodbye
Yep. It is an assault, and should be reported. It's actionable.

Back when I spent a lot of time on MUPs, I considered carrying mace. I never did, but this is the kind of guy that needs some mace in the face.

Old 10-29-21, 09:47 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Enforce the rules

Enforce the rules. A motorized vehicle is not allowed on a bike path. I saw a young man going to fast around a curve in the bike path , he went on the grass ,, had to duck for a low branch,, nearly hit a couple on the sitting bench on the side. I am guessing his speed was in excess of 20mph, fat tires, yup you guessed it E-bike.
ps on a positive note , its the only time I saw this , for some reason, not to many people bike here .. so its usually very low traffic ..
Old 10-30-21, 06:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
ppl resist new regulations, but often new technology requires it
Old 10-30-21, 07:13 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Originally Posted by rossiny
Enforce the rules. A motorized vehicle is not allowed on a bike path. I saw a young man going to fast around a curve in the bike path , he went on the grass ,, had to duck for a low branch,, nearly hit a couple on the sitting bench on the side. I am guessing his speed was in excess of 20mph, fat tires, yup you guessed it E-bike.
ps on a positive note , its the only time I saw this , for some reason, not to many people bike here .. so its usually very low traffic ..
e-bikes requiring pedaling to activate are allowed on our bike paths.
Old 10-30-21, 05:10 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
e-bikes requiring pedaling to activate are allowed on our bike paths.
they have a motor. I thought the whole idea of bike paths was that only non-motorized are allowed on them?
Old 10-30-21, 09:54 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Multi Use Path

Mostly it's a place for walkers with dogs on 10 foot leashes & joggers to run up the middle of & turn around to be hit face on when you try to pass them on the left as you are supposed to.

Not really a place for bicycles at any speed due to pedestrian flagerant disregard for posted rules of use.
That was my opinion early last year — after deciding to get some distance on the odometer. First I bought a bell, next I bought the loudest bell I could find. Waste of money, some just don't want to hear the bell! Later in the Summer I bought one of these

At 120 dB it certainly gets peoples' attention. BTW staying off the Rail Trail on the weekend helps too.
Old 10-30-21, 10:16 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Originally Posted by rossiny
they have a motor. I thought the whole idea of bike paths was that only non-motorized are allowed on them?
we have a lot of e-bikes on our many hundreds of miles of trails. Many have no clue as to etiquette on bike paths. As long as they are pedal assist, they are allowed.
Old 10-31-21, 07:33 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
The world has changed. Civility and lawfulness is an afterthought as the US descends into antinomianism.
Cycling is just a small fraction of what we see as a whole society.

I actively avoid MUPS unless it a Friday morning and no one is on them.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-01-21, 11:46 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
we have a lot of e-bikes on our many hundreds of miles of trails. Many have no clue as to etiquette on bike paths. As long as they are pedal assist, they are allowed.

In many cases that's a result of them being new to cycling! Many considered cycling too strenuous prior to e-bikes hitting the market. As far as etiquette goes: just watch the ICE crowd on any given day, the behaviour just carries over. (Writes he who bought an e-gizmo to get peoples'attention)
Old 11-02-21, 11:49 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
I was chatting with a cyclist who pulled up alongside me.

I said, "Hey! It was you turn to bring the pizza!"

He was wearing team kit and mentioned he started running front and rear video cameras after someone tried to mow him down in a roundabout.

Since then I've had three similiar episodes in roundabouts, including one this morning, despite being extra careful.

So watch your six.
Old 11-05-21, 05:04 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by leftthread
I was chatting with a cyclist who pulled up alongside me.

I said, "Hey! It was you turn to bring the pizza!"

He was wearing team kit and mentioned he started running front and rear video cameras after someone tried to mow him down in a roundabout.

Since then I've had three similiar episodes in roundabouts, including one this morning, despite being extra careful.

So watch your six.
Learning how to drive in roundabouts and caring about professional soccer are two things Americans will never master.
Old 11-08-21, 03:33 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
In my area the problem on the bike paths are people who are on their cell phones and walking along mindless of bicyclists along with women with their strollers who stop in the middle of the path to chat. E-bikes are not a problem at all. A jerk on a bike path is rare and only wish fewer such people were allowed to wear a uniform and a badge and a gun.