Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flat Pedal Karma

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-21, 01:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
A topo shows Toronto to be pretty much flatlandia.
It`s true we don`t have mountains around here but the suburbs and rural areas surrounding Toronto have more than enough hills to challenge the strongest cyclists out there.
Old 11-21-21, 01:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
A topo shows Toronto to be pretty much flatlandia.

Flat pedals for flat land.
Clips ‘n straps or clipless for the rest.

When walking I wear shoes, when backpacking in the mountains I wear hiking boots. Yes, I can hike in shoes, but the best tool for the job makes the task less difficult.

Translation: “I have nothing relevant for the OP (or have not bothered to read it) so please allow me to spew some unrelated opinions”

BTW, I agree that one should use the best tool for the job. That is why they make cycling specific shoes for flat pedals

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-21-21 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-21-21, 01:57 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Wait.
I never said anything about strong cycling and clipless. 2 different topics.
I said only a couple of things: I cannot climb strongly nor can I spin a high cadence on flat pedals.

Flat pedals are fine for many places, styles, tasks, etc.

if I called flat inferior - it would be for roadies who: a. climb on occasion, or b. do all out sprints (or facsimiles thereof, or c. spin 90rpm cadence to push cardio over musculature? Doesn’t almost everyone do those things on their roadie? If not, there is a lot of cycling technology being sold for no real purpose.

I ride 130m elevation change coming and going (1st/last) 2.5km. At the end of a 50 mile ride, that last hill with ramps is a killer. I am 100% convinced others who ride big hills and mountain foothills and on truly mountain roads - are more efficient strapped or clipped to pedals.

just because I hike in boots, doesn’t mean I don’t like my shoes, too!
…horses for courses….
Old 11-21-21, 02:00 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Wait.
I never said anything about strong cycling and clipless. 2 different topics.
I said only a couple of things: I cannot climb strongly nor can I spin a high cadence on flat pedals.

Flat pedals are fine for many places, styles, tasks, etc.

if I called flat inferior - it would be for roadies who: a. climb on occasion, or b. do all out sprints (or facsimiles thereof, or c. spin 90rpm cadence to push cardio over musculature? Doesn’t almost everyone do those things on their roadie? If not, there is a lot of cycling technology being sold for no real purpose.

I ride 130m elevation change coming and going (1st/last) 2.5km. At the end of a 50 mile ride, that last hill with ramps is a killer. I am 100% convinced others who ride big hills and mountain foothills and on truly mountain roads - are more efficient strapped or clipped to pedals.

just because I hike in boots, doesn’t mean I don’t like my shoes, too!
…horses for courses….
Still have not read the OP, have you?

Hint: OP means “original post” or “original poster”.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-21-21 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-21-21, 02:02 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Translator and public critic are 2 different occupations/pastimes.
Old 11-21-21, 02:04 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Translator and public critic are 2 different occupations/pastimes.
Still not read the OP?

Spoiler: he is specifically asking about MTB, not Road.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-21-21 at 02:11 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-21-21, 02:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Still not read the OP?

Spoiler: he is specifically asking about MTB, not Road.
And out of respect to the OP, I'm not biting on the 47,000th argument about flats on road bikes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-21-21, 02:22 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by livedarklions
And out of respect to the OP, I'm not biting on the 47,000th argument about flats on road bikes.
Same here.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-21-21, 02:53 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Flat pedals for flat land.
Clips ‘n straps or clipless for the rest........but the best tool for the job makes the task less difficult.
Clips 'n straps are hardly the best tool for any job.

If you had bothered to read the OP, they're an experienced rider coming back into the sport after an extended illness, and dealing with both skills degradation, and some new limitations; wants to brush up on his lost MTB skills, but isn't ready to go back on his clipless yet.

A lot of us ride both flats and clipless; and as we pointed out, there are some good flats for MTB, and riding MTB on flats can actually help build your skills, because your technique has to be sharper than with SPDs.

There, all caught up now?
Old 11-21-21, 03:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
great for winter boots too
Old 11-21-21, 11:26 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Wait.
Is 130m big for you?
Old 11-22-21, 06:39 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

@MarcusT - Depends on the ramps, and where in the ride it comes. For an old guy (70) getting up his big hill, ~7% average grade for 2.5km at the end of a 50 mile ride with vintage gearing (42/26) on a 22 pound bike - yes, it can be tough in the wet and/or cold.

Do you ride northern Italian mountain roads with flat pedals? How ‘bout your mtb bikes?

……and no, I don’t need to upgrade all my bikes. But both legs could use 1!
Old 11-22-21, 07:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
@MarcusT - Depends on the ramps, and where in the ride it comes. For an old guy (70) getting up his big hill, ~7% average grade for 2.5km at the end of a 50 mile ride with vintage gearing (42/26) on a 22 pound bike - yes, it can be tough in the wet and/or cold.

Do you ride northern Italian mountain roads with flat pedals? How ‘bout your mtb bikes?

You're not going to be happy until you troll an argument that has nothing to do with the OP, right?

OP wants to relearn MTB riding on flats, and was asking for advice on how best to do that. That's a relatively novel topic for a thread. OP has decided he wants to do this, he isn't asking for anyone's approval or requesting they talk him out of it, he wants practical advice. Other people wanting to do both might find such advice useful as well.

You are trying to morph this into a general debate on SPDs vs. flats. There are many (probably dozens) of such threads. If you want to have that debate yet again, start your own thread or bump one of the old ones so we can trot out the same old, same old yet again.
Old 11-22-21, 08:18 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're not going to be happy until you troll an argument that has nothing to do with the OP, right?
I think that pretty much sums it up.
Old 11-22-21, 10:25 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts

I grew up racing with clips and the few times I ride my racing bike, I'll still use the old cages. I tried clipless, but as my riding style slowed down, so did my desire to be clipped in. My EMTB, my Fat bike, my commuter and my touring bike are all flats. I don't miss the clips on climbs, sometimes on some gnarly downhills, but I manage. A casual ride for me is about a 500 meter climb, but in very low gears, with no desire to keep up with the kids. Unassisted climbs, I can go about 15%. But who's counting. As long as we can ride
Old 11-22-21, 10:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I have gone to flats on my MTB, Touring Bike and Gravel Bike. I'd never consider clipless for those applications. I have had no choppy cadence issues or issues with my feet slipping off the pedals.
Old 11-27-21, 07:20 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 432 Posts
So I got the Chesters and took them out for a shakedown ride yesterday. Mostly loved them, except for one problem I've never had before.
Pedal strike/getting stuck and stopped by the wider chester pedals...
I opened another thread, in MTB forum, figuring this might be best addressed there...
Also has a pic comparo between the Chesters and the Crank Bros Acid 1s I had on the bike before putting on the chesters...
link to new thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...at-pedals.html
Ride On
Yuri
Old 11-27-21, 09:23 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
So I got the Chesters and took them out for a shakedown ride yesterday. Mostly loved them, except for one problem I've never had before.
Pedal strike/getting stuck and stopped by the wider chester pedals...
I opened another thread, in MTB forum, figuring this might be best addressed there...
Also has a pic comparo between the Chesters and the Crank Bros Acid 1s I had on the bike before putting on the chesters...
link to new thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...at-pedals.html
Ride On
Yuri
You might try the VP-538. It’s a worthy plastic platform pedal with sealed bearings and made by Victor in Taiwan. Rivbike sells them as the Clem Smith pedal. They are not as wide as some platforms I’ve ridden. Noticeably so. At first I was a tad concerned they wouldn’t be wide enough, but really they seem just about right. I never notice them, which is a good thing.

Otto
Old 11-28-21, 07:59 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I am doing a similar thing. I've used SPD's and other road clip less systems for 30 years, and wouldn't dream of having flats on a bike that I worried about turning some performance numbers on,

but - after a knee replacement a year ago, I put flats on my mtb as I was rehabilitating. Over the spring I built a new mountain bike as a reward to myself and rode it a few times clipped in, -- but then, after suffering from some malaise and depression, I just didn't feel like riding.

i thought everything sucked and just didn't want to deal with changing clothes and shoes at the trailhead anymore, - so I put flats on that bike. If I ride I just go out for short spins in regular athletic gear or street clothes (if I truly think ill be out longer than 45 minutes, I'll throw on a set of bibs under my pants though- I may be depressed but I'm not a total masochist) and I'm currently just wearing Vans skateboard/bmx shoes

​​​Iim sticking with the flats until I get my "mojo" back, but the floppy and non supportive Vans (they're basically gardening shoes with a grippy sole) have got to go.
My LBS ordered some real shoes for me from Specializeds catalog. They are hideous to look at, - kinda like the 5-10's and other dirt jump inspired shoes, but they are real shoes at least. (Still waiting for them as everything is back ordered)

if it all works out, I will upgrade the "Rock Brothers" anodized pedals to some Shimano Saints if availability ever comes back around again but until then I'll just run what I have.
Old 12-03-21, 02:22 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Most of my scars on my shins have gone now, but flat pedals only suck when you mess up and they dig into your shins. I found riding clipped in made riding easier, but it also made me a lazier rider. You can get away with a lot more clipped in. But it's fun riding flat pedals and it's nice to be able to just move your foot around if you want to. My trail bike was just my trail bike so having flats for running errands to shops was never a thought.

Worth practicing skills off the trail though.
Likes For JayKay3000:
Old 12-03-21, 04:30 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 432 Posts
so, i've been rding the chester flats... and it's been eye-opening and good to work on off-road skills again. Especially now that the bike also has some great up-grades - 27.5 frt wheel, dropper post... makes a huge difference! On Wed I did a longer ride in the Los Padres backcountry - using the flats. Great Day!
my post in MTB, was regarding my pedal width issues - here:
quick update... so, I purchased a few varying mtb pedals thru amazon... they ALL noted a slightly different 'dimension' on the pedal/cage width.
When they came in, except for some very slight cosmetic difference, they were ALL almost exact duplicates of the Chesters ! LOL!
so back they went...
update on Chesters - I do like them a lot and did use them on an mtb ride I like, and hadn;t done in a couple months - Red Rock to Sunbird Quicksiver mine & return along Santa Ynez river trail - approx 15 mi RT. Some Los Padres Forest Service rd, some steepish singletrack and some frequent knarly bouldered, dry river crossings of the Santa Ynez.
UPdate/upgrade on my '04 Spec EPic is almost complete - swap to 27.5 front wheel (awesome !!!) dropper seat post, chester pedals and coming is a shorter stem...
All three 'upgrades' are making a huge difference in singletrack riding - a lot more fun when you feel more in control... LOL!

'04 Spec Epic (27.5 frt) at Sunbird Mine - west view to Gibraltar Reservoir

Pic is at the Mine Overlook bench - view west to a very dry section of Gibraltar Reservoir (our serious drought results). Mine is down to left with red slag heap in view - waste cinnebar.
Trail hugs the steep left side and goes through the notch in the far left background. Awesome fun ride!
I'll keep the Chesters and swap back to the Eggbeater Acids on rides where width issues and strikes are a problem.
Ride On
Yuri