Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Another broken spoke thread. :)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-23-21, 02:11 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts

I've put together a lot of wheels over the years and NEVER have I had a spoke break on a wheel I built. Until now.

Customer came in with some broken spokes and I suggested a respoke of the wheel, and that was done. He came back in last week needing some more service and to replace some more broken spokes. Hmm. All 3 were "outside" of the hub. installed under the crossing spoke and on the brake side.

Drop bar road bike with disk brakes.

I thought spokes only broke on the drive side.

Commence theorizing. I'll comment back as time allows.

-SP
Old 11-23-21, 02:14 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Which end did they break on?
Old 11-23-21, 02:18 PM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 33 Posts
i had a few broken spokes recently on my cargo bike with disc brakes . one at a time over some weeks both drive side and non drive side on the rear wheel . my symptom was also spokes breaking mid spoke . i also had never experienced a broken spoke in many years of cycling . i did some research and found it could be de-tensioned spokes / spokes losing tension over the 7 years i had been riding this bike. i re-tensioned all the spokes and so far it's fixed the problem
Old 11-23-21, 02:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
I've put together a lot of wheels over the years and NEVER have I had a spoke break on a wheel I built. Until now.

Customer came in with some broken spokes and I suggested a respoke of the wheel, and that was done. He came back in last week needing some more service and to replace some more broken spokes. Hmm. All 3 were "outside" of the hub. installed under the crossing spoke and on the brake side.

Drop bar road bike with disk brakes.

I thought spokes only broke on the drive side.

Commence theorizing. I'll comment back as time allows.

-SP
How many miles had he put on the new spokes? Damage is the only thing I can think of, if not a lot of time has passed.

Would any of: double-butted spokes, tensioned up to the max of the rim, and stress-relief by squeezing pairs of spokes be incorrect assumptions?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-23-21, 02:50 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Ooops! I forgot where the broke- It was on the hub end. I'll do an edit.

Scott- Not double butted. Tensioned like I always do, and I do give those crossings a squeeze.

I have had similar experience like Brooklyn where a loosely spoked wheel broke some spokes. I retensioned after replacement of 2. So far customer is happy.

In the past I have pondered people destroying freshly spoked wheels and wondered if they were too tight or too loose, but since it didnt happen to me until now I had no real data.

-SP
Old 11-24-21, 09:49 AM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
What brand of spokes and hub?
Maybe the hub has sharp edges on it?
I have heard of "bad batches" of spokes over the years. Also some with longer than normal elbows.
I trust DT more than any other brand.
Old 11-24-21, 06:59 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
My conjecture is that they have low tension. The tension is lower on the non-drive side for a dished wheel anyway. If it is too low that it can go to zero when hitting potholes, accelerating or braking the spoke will fatigue and break.

Are these leading or trailing spokes?
Likes For csport:
Old 11-29-21, 12:24 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,240 Times in 655 Posts
without a picture, based on the info provided, I would suspect that the hub holes were not properly countersunk or something related to that.

normally a stainless spoke will "bed" into the alloy hub flange, but a sharp edge will wear thru the elbow causing a break

more info please

/markp