Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your opinions on ebike transition to road bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-28-21, 07:28 PM
Defy Dene

Bikes: Roam E & Defy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Greetings folks.
About 6 weeks ago it bought a size large Giant Roam E. I’m new to biking , 61, overweight with knee replacements in the future. I absolutely love the bike, losing weight like crazy and have zero knee issues going out for 40-50 km loops.
When it was new, I have found being a 50 pound bike it was necessary to always keep it in AUTO mode.
Now I have it on Eco, level one and find it easier to pedal each outing!
I want to eventually transition to a real bike and bought a size ML carbon Defy entry level Endurance bike. I opted for clipless MTB pedals and better rubber, (28mm Continental GP5000 tubeless).
Can you people speculate on how you think I’ll make out on small trips as far as fatigue and body adjustments would be etc? I’m worried that a 61 year old guy will find the new drop bar bike daunting and go back to the Cheater bike.
I pick it up after Christmas.
Thanks for any n all tips…..
Likes For Defy Dene:
Old 11-28-21, 07:38 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
If you have easy enough gears and maintain the same power output, there will be almost no difference. but because you're used to ebike speeds, you'll probably destroy yourself on your first few rides.

I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the ride. Feel the thrill of pushing with your own power and nothing else.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 11-28-21, 07:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,379 Times in 2,731 Posts
I predict you will be astonished and disappointed by the additional effort required. Even if you are only getting a couple of hundred watts out of the ebike, that's probably double what you'll put out using your own power. Maybe you'll enjoy it, maybe not. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-28-21, 08:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Defy Dene
About 6 weeks ago it bought a size large Giant Roam E. I’m new to biking ...
I want to eventually transition to a real bike and bought a size ML carbon Defy entry level Endurance bike. I opted for clipless MTB pedals ...
Can you people speculate on how you think I’ll make out on small trips as far as fatigue and body adjustments would be etc?
Hard to speculate on either of your above questions.
In addition to your fitness it also depends how well the new bike fits you; a bike fit will likely be beneficial.
No urgent need to transition to clipless pedals until you are really comfortable with your new bike.
Old 11-28-21, 08:22 PM
Defy Dene

Very good replies so far.
Thanks, keep ‘em coming.
Old 11-28-21, 08:25 PM
Defy Dene

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I predict you will be astonished and disappointed by the additional effort required. Even if you are only getting a couple of hundred watts out of the ebike, that's probably double what you'll put out using your own power. Maybe you'll enjoy it, maybe not. Let us know how it turns out.
I will definitely reply to these responses after I get some biking under my belt with the bike.
I’m hoping a thirty pound less bike won’t be that daunting especially when you look at even the obvious differences in the wheels and tires alone.
Old 11-28-21, 09:23 PM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
If you haven't ridden with clipless pedals before, I would recommend starting with flat pedals on your new bike. You'll have enough to think about as you get used to the feel of handling of the bike. Make adjustments and get comfy on the bike before you transition to clipless.
Old 11-28-21, 09:54 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
You will be slower but just get used to it.
I ride with someone who has a normal road bike and a Trek Domane E bike.
Even when ridden on the lowest power assist setting he is a lot faster than when on a "normal" bike.
Old 11-28-21, 10:09 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
i underwent a similar journey, although my issues are heart related rather than weight and joints.

in eco mode, the giant is basically matching your output - i.e. double the total power. you put in 150w, it puts in 150w, 300w total. that’s a very big difference for hills and at higher speeds, so be ready to ride much slower - and that’s totally fine !

what i did was carefully track my rides in elevation, distance, and average speed. over time i started turning the assist off completely for more and more “types” or rides or segments, starting of course with downhill and flats, and then whole rides which didn’t have any climbs over 3 or 4 %, and then 6 or 8%, up
to certain distances, etc. i now only use the motor for climbs over 10% or climbs over 6% on rides longer than 50 miles, which is to say, very rarely! i would strongly recommend using whatever tool giant has to track the power usage of your rides so you have a clear idea how much the eBike is helping.

6 weeks isn’t that long, so you’re still on the steep part of the learning curve! take it easy, do the same or similar rides a few times before you decide to take the non-e bike on a big outing with big hills. as a heavier guy used to an eBike, climbing will absolutely be a challenge. it looks like your new bike has a lowest gear of 34 in front and 34 in back, which i’d guess will be good up to relatively shallow grades. remember that you’ll have half as much power at your disposal!

Last edited by mschwett; 11-28-21 at 10:12 PM.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 11-29-21, 12:19 AM
Defy Dene

I’m amazed at the help everybody is giving me so far!
I stumbled on a helpful site it looks like.
Likes For Defy Dene:
Old 11-29-21, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Even if it's a very relaxed fit drop bar road bike, you might feel it odd to be leaning slightly head first as you go down the road. How you'll perceive that oddness is the big question.

Some will get used to it and might want to go lower still. Others will be too uneasy with it and will immediately try to make their bike fit like their previous bike by adding extenders and stuff to raise the bars up high.

So if the position feels odd to you, just realize it's a new position and you need time to get use to it.
Old 11-29-21, 10:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8256 Post(s)
Liked 8,967 Times in 4,450 Posts
The weight of an e-bike isn't an issue because of the motor. As has been mentioned if you put out the same power on a regular bike you will be slower, even if that bike is lighter.
The weight is a factor when climbing or accelerating. When cruising along on flat ground the weight doesn't make as much difference. Having ridden 1000s of miles on a 60 pound touring bike, I have experience with this.

If you are totally comfortable on your e-bike with flat bars, you can try to set up your Defy with a similar position so the top of the handlebar is where your flat bar is now. From there you can start using the hoods and the drops as much as you want. Drop bars come in many different shapes and sizes so you can swap them if need be.
Old 11-29-21, 10:21 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Iride01
Even if it's a very relaxed fit drop bar road bike, you might feel it odd to be leaning slightly head first as you go down the road. How you'll perceive that oddness is the big question..
Looking at the geometry charts for the 2 bikes he mentioned, they aren't as different as you might think. I think you could replicate the position of the Roam onto the Defy without any weird contraptions, if you so choose.
Old 11-29-21, 10:55 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,905 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Looking at the geometry charts for the 2 bikes he mentioned, they aren't as different as you might think. I think you could replicate the position of the Roam onto the Defy without any weird contraptions, if you so choose.
I'm not so sure this is the best approach. I'm guessing the work the shop that sold you the Roam did to fit it to you was less that they would spend to get a regular bike to fit you simply because, with that big source of power, your output (and your comfort putting out that much) is less important.

I'd go after this new bike like it was a whole new adventure. A good fit from a pro would be very worthwhile. I applaud going clip-less, I've been a fan of foot retention (and used it on all my bikes) over 50 years. But - I second the poster above - start with flat pedals. Otherwise too much information, too much learning all at once. And one little "oops" and you have just slammed your 61 year old body on the pavement. When you are used to the handlebars, the much lighter steering, shifting is beginning to come naturally - then is the time to master to master those pedals.

Congrats! I'll see you out on the road. (I forgot to see if you show your location before I hit QUOTE so that might be figuratively.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-29-21, 11:07 AM
Defy Dene

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm not so sure this is the best approach. I'm guessing the work the shop that sold you the Roam did to fit it to you was less that they would spend to get a regular bike to fit you simply because, with that big source of power, your output (and your comfort putting out that much) is less important.

I'd go after this new bike like it was a whole new adventure. A good fit from a pro would be very worthwhile. I applaud going clip-less, I've been a fan of foot retention (and used it on all my bikes) over 50 years. But - I second the poster above - start with flat pedals. Otherwise too much information, too much learning all at once. And one little "oops" and you have just slammed your 61 year old body on the pavement. When you are used to the handlebars, the much lighter steering, shifting is beginning to come naturally - then is the time to master to master those pedals.

Congrats! I'll see you out on the road. (I forgot to see if you show your location before I hit QUOTE so that might be figuratively.)
The local bike shop just sold me the Roam and I just lowered the seat 1/4”. I asked for a stem riser and some spacers to bring the bars up. From time to time I get numbness in the hands, more than I’d like. That’s why I’m hoping it won’t be any worse with all the weight now on the drop bar bike.
I have a local friend who has two road bikes, and his very fit wife has so many risers and an angled stem, the flat part of the drops are literally above the seat. It might be comfy but I question the whole setup as being effective in the headwinds now.
I have taken peoples advice and robbed flat pedals off my sons Trance for the time being.
I’ll update my location on my profile to Vancouver Island, B.C.
I have a good friend in SE Portland!
Old 11-29-21, 11:08 AM
big john

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm not so sure this is the best approach. I'm guessing the work the shop that sold you the Roam did to fit it to you was less that they would spend to get a regular bike to fit you simply because, with that big source of power, your output (and your comfort putting out that much) is less important
You could be right but it could also be true that the position is pretty close to ideal. I wouldn't assume the position is wrong just because it's an e-bike. It looks like other flat bar bikes and not one of those "sit up and beg" bikes you see out there.
Some time with a good fitter might be beneficial, however.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-29-21, 11:14 AM
big john

The local bike shop just sold me the Roam and I just lowered the seat 1/4”. I asked for a stem riser and some spacers to bring the bars up. From time to time I get numbness in the hands, more than I’d like. That’s why I’m hoping it won’t be any worse with all the weight now on the drop bar bike.
OK reading this maybe 79pmooney is on to something. Where is the bar in relation to the saddle on your e-bike? If your hands are getting numb you might be putting too much weight on them. You should support your upper body with your core muscles, this takes time. Keep your elbows bent and relaxed as much as you can.
Old 11-29-21, 11:28 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by big john
If your hands are getting numb you might be putting too much weight on them. You should support your upper body with your core muscles, this takes time. Keep your elbows bent and relaxed as much as you can.
Usually agreed, but not so sure in this case given OP's reference to lowering seat and raising handlebars on an e-bike, both of which shifts the weight balance rearward.

Numbness may also be due to maintaining a death grip on bars, and may improve with the adoption of a more relaxed grip as one gets more used to the bike and its speed, which likely takes more than 6 weeks for someone "new to biking".
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-29-21, 11:45 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
About 6 weeks ago it bought a size large Giant Roam E. I’m new to biking.... losing weight like crazy and have zero knee issues going out for 40-50 km loops.
How much weight have you lost? I must be doing something wrong because any weight I might lose in six weeks could barely be noticed. Obviously I need an e-bike.
Old 11-29-21, 12:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I’m amazed at the help everybody is giving me so far!
I stumbled on a helpful site it looks like.
​​​​​​Where? Can I have a link?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-29-21, 12:58 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
How much weight have you lost? I must be doing something wrong because any weight I might lose in six weeks could barely be noticed. Obviously I need an e-bike.
You may say that in jest, but there are several factors that make a new cyclist lose weight faster than someone already riding for some time. I lost 20-40 lbs in my first year riding, and another 20 in the following 1-2 years, due to me being highly motivated to ride a nice new road bike that cost 5x more than any bike I had ever owned (at the time, yet I now ride a bike that's 3x more than that first nice bike, we all know that story), and at the same time changing all of my eating and alcohol drinking habits to help with the weight loss, and sticking to it because I just laid out a bunch of cash on this sport and didn't want it all to be a waste of time and effort. And on top of that an ebike likely makes it easier for a newer cyclist to be able to get back on the bike day-after-day-after day, without the soreness that a non-ebike typically causes, especially if any substantial hills are required. I've been noticing lots of recent articles popping up related to ebikes helping people lose weight, which may seem counterintuitive, but when you factor in all the things I just mentioned, it seems plausible that a new rider on a ebike might lose more weight simply because the ebike is fun and allows them to ride more frequently.

I on the other hand, started on road bikes, lost 60 lbs, and I now have an ebike because my knees are getting sore (due to very aggressive out-of-the-saddle sprint training). And the ebike allows me to ride more frequently, since I have substantial hills to deal with that can wear out my knees for days, and the ebike reduces the soreness, allowing me to ride more frequently.
Old 11-29-21, 06:07 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I have problems with my hands going numb on flat bar bikes but don't have any issues with drop bars. I suspect the different orientation of the hands makes all the difference.

Keeping your elbows bent can also help as it helps you avoid putting weight on your hands.
Old 11-29-21, 06:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by jon c.
I have problems with my hands going numb on flat bar bikes but don't have any issues with drop bars. I suspect the different orientation of the hands makes all the difference.
On a flat bar bike, the angle of the brake lever to the handlebar and/or the rider's desire to prop himself or herself on the handlebar to support part of his or her weight both lead to bent wrists and numb hands.
Old 11-29-21, 07:31 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Most important is to learn to use the full gear range. With a road bike I like that when I am first starting up a steep hill that I can switch to the inner front chainring and be in a much lower gear and do so without much thought. I will even coast into the hill and start pedaling the lower gear when my momentum has slowed down as I am not in a race and an additional 5 seconds is not important.

Seat height is also important and many riders, off all ages, are riding with the seat too low. Take whatever tool you need to adjust the seat height and after 15 minutes of warmup put the seat a little bit higher than where it would usually be and get a feel for how much leg extension is happening. Then slowly, 1/4 inch at a time lower the seat until the leg extension is not too great. Too low a seat and your quads will be doing too much of the work.

Having someone to ride behind you also helps as they can see what is happening with regard to your butt and leg extension when riding.
Old 11-29-21, 07:34 PM
Defy Dene

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Usually agreed, but not so sure in this case given OP's reference to lowering seat and raising handlebars on an e-bike, both of which shifts the weight balance rearward.

Numbness may also be due to maintaining a death grip on bars, and may improve with the adoption of a more relaxed grip as one gets more used to the bike and its speed, which likely takes more than 6 weeks for someone "new to biking".
I agree my weak core is probably the cause of putting so much weight on the bars. They are probably 3-4” above the seat and I don’t consider myself long in the torso.
Death grip is probably a big factor, because on the ride the numbness comes and goes.
Locally, they want 160-180 for a pro bike fitting. I’ve YouTube the subject to death and I don’t think it is real rocket science to do yourself. Seat height, seat fore/aft, stem length and angle plus spacers, handlebar rotation, etc are the main things. Then play with feet positioning in the clips.
I’m a cheapo and would like to try playing with the Defy for a few hundred miles on my own.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.