Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Beginner Dedicated Race Bike

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Beginner Dedicated Race Bike

Old 01-04-21, 09:05 PM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
It's all good. I worked as a MCM and PCB designer using Cadence tools so I did OK for my lowly PhD (Public Highschool Diploma). I saw the end coming in 2009 so I kinda prepared for it. Didn't know that at 59 I'd be unemployed though.
Allows me to ride the bike, grow a bunch of food, hunt, fish, and spend time with the 3yr old grandson who loves to race his bike. Who knew Strider balance bikes raced eh?
better to race a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow!

happy you are weathering the current crisis ok. i have been thru that as well.
robin
Old 02-07-21, 06:43 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by OuterMarker
Di2 Questions

This will be my first Di2 build and I have some questions. It looks like full Di2 kits are hard to come by now, so I will have to gather all the components myself. There seem to be several versions of Di2 and most of the stuff online goes over the first generation. I want the cleanest install (no visible battery packs or junction boxes).

It looks like I need a battery, a junction box, a battery charger, and a wireless unit (maybe?). I know the battery goes in the seat tube and the junction box goes in the bar end. But where does the charger and wireless unit go? Also, what cables do I need?
Good luck finding a Di2 groupset.
I just finished up a build. I ended up buying a Di2 "upgrade" kit and then was fortunate enough to find an Ultegra crankset and brake calipers separately. I already had a spare Shimano 11 spd chain, luckily.
The upgrade kit comes with an external junction A, so if you want a handlebar junction, you'll have to source out one of those. It also doesn't come with the wireless unit. Make sure you get the latest version of that. The charger (and interface) will just plug into the bar end junction and your computer USB port. Cable lengths depend on your frame and how you're going to wire everything. Make sure you get handlebars set up for internal Di2 wiring if you're using the bar end junction.
I don't race anymore (been about 40 years since I last did) so I really don't need a "fast bike". Mine is like a Ferrari with an engine swap from a John Deere riding mower, but I look impressive at the rest stops!
Old 02-07-21, 09:25 AM
OuterMarker

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Good luck finding a Di2 groupset.
I saw the writing on the wall and started looking for all the parts I needed before I even ordered the frame. I had to hunt around and order from multiple websties, but I think I got everything I need for Di2. The only issue is the crankset. I wanted either a Stages or 4iiii powermeter crank, but they have been out of stock since November. The bike frame comes next week, so it looks like I will have a pretty nice balance bike at least
Likes For OuterMarker:
Old 02-07-21, 05:01 PM
Bald Paul

I saw the writing on the wall and started looking for all the parts I needed before I even ordered the frame. I had to hunt around and order from multiple websties, but I think I got everything I need for Di2. The only issue is the crankset. I wanted either a Stages or 4iiii powermeter crank, but they have been out of stock since November. The bike frame comes next week, so it looks like I will have a pretty nice balance bike at least
Oh, you're going to hate me....

Old 02-07-21, 06:56 PM
OuterMarker

Oh, you're going to hate me....

Old 03-02-21, 03:44 PM
OuterMarker

The bike is done!
Likes For OuterMarker:
Old 05-23-21, 11:53 PM
Bald Paul

The bike is done!
Very nice! What frameset did you go with?
Old 05-24-21, 07:48 AM
OuterMarker

Very nice! What frameset did you go with?
That bike is the VeloBuild model VB-R-086