Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hybrid 3x (flat bar) conversion to Road 3x (brifter) has me stumped

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-18-21, 09:35 PM
ifixbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Howdy folks. Today I was asked to convert a 3x Hybrid to a Road 3x and I thought it would be a no-brainer but I just couldn't get the Road 3x Front Derailleur to work perfectly.

Opus bike, original crank / chainrings were 42, 32, 22 - replacement cranks / chainrings are Ultegra 52, 39, 30 (I think?). The Alivio derailleur was not swapped as I thought it was capable of handling such a change.

I'm of an era which doesn't know a lot about the technical side of product differences but should a Triple FD not be capable of such a change? We also swapped from Trigger shifters to Brifter STI style...

Cable tension and routing... Check. F Derailleur alignment and height... check. DT Barrel adjustments done with slow and careful tweaking... Check. Still couldn't got all three to play well together.

I wish i had more info to offer. I'm sure your comments will stir my memory.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 07-18-21, 10:29 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Older Shimano triple front derailleurs used different amounts of cable pull for "road"vs. "mountain" setups. The Ultegra requires less pull than the Alivio so try it.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 07-18-21, 10:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
I'll also add that road and MtB frt ders (by Shimano) have rather different chain ring sizes they are optimized for. Also some MtB cranks space their rings apart more then some road ones. Andy
Old 07-18-21, 11:15 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Not compatible. You need a road triple fd, ideally designed for a 52t big ring (some are designed for 50t, you can probably get one to work but it'll be worse. )
Old 07-19-21, 05:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Yes, be sure you get the FD that is designed for the 39t middle ring. Some are for 42t.
Old 07-20-21, 08:33 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yes, be sure you get the FD that is designed for the 39t middle ring. Some are for 42t.
Distinction without a difference, IMHO.

I've never seen any Shimano road triple front derailleur not work on any non-weird triple crankset, including MTB cranks on 9 speed STI touring bikes, where 46/36/26 was pretty common stock gearing. Shimano didn't make a road triple FD that was "designed for" a 46T big ring, but lotsa Treks, Cannondales, and Surlys were built that way, and they shifted great.

Bicycle drivetrains are really forgiving, and specs are really conservative. Most combinations work so well that no rider in the world could tell the difference blindfolded. (Before they crashed.)

--Shannon
Old 07-22-21, 04:23 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM

I've never seen any Shimano road triple front derailleur not work on any non-weird triple crankset, including MTB cranks on 9 speed STI touring bikes, where 46/36/26 was pretty common stock gearing. Shimano didn't make a road triple FD that was "designed for" a 46T big ring, but lotsa Treks, Cannondales, and Surlys were built that way, and they shifted great.

Bicycle drivetrains are really forgiving, and specs are really conservative. Most combinations work so well that no rider in the world could tell the difference blindfolded. (Before they crashed.)

--Shannon
I disagree-- it usually works fine, but the ease of setup and shift speed are noticeably better when matching the FD to the chainring set.
Old 07-22-21, 05:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Yeah, when Shimano switched their road triples from 52-42-30 to 52-39-30, folks found the newer FD would not clear the 42t on the older cranks. And conversely the much shallower inner plate of the older FD did not do a good job pushing the chain off a 39t. Not a biggie if folks don't know this, was a long time ago. Maybe just a reminder that we can't know what we don't know.
Old 07-22-21, 06:32 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
It may not work in this case, but try clamping the cable on the other side of the pinch bolt.
Old 07-22-21, 10:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
I disagree-- it usually works fine, but the ease of setup and shift speed are noticeably better when matching the FD to the chainring set.
I agree with ShannonM. The size of the chainring has little to do with how well a Shimano front derailer works. The cable pull is highly important but not the ring size. I just finished 1200 miles of touring with a Shimano Sora shifting a 44/32/20 XT external crank. It was shifting a 48/36/20 crank before I decided to reduce the gearing a bit. Set up was dead simple with no issues either with the 48 or 44 tooth ring.

One proviso: Set up and performance is generally easier and better, respectively, for Shimano’s cheaper front derailers. Tiagra and lower are easier to set up and have a wider useful range than the higher “better” Shimano derailers.

Ifixbikes: your issue is with the mountain bike vs road bike derailer. Swap to a road and everything should work.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-25-21, 09:37 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM

--Shannon
Ah, but they did. The STX-RC front derailleur was designed for a 46/36/26 chainring set and a "road" front derailleur pull. I don't know if that was what was on the Treks and Cannondales you saw, but it's out there. Hard to find nowadays.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-25-21, 09:49 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Ah, but they did. The STX-RC front derailleur was designed for a 46/36/26 chainring set and a "road" front derailleur pull. I don't know if that was what was on the Treks and Cannondales you saw, but it's out there. Hard to find nowadays.
They very well might have been. The time frame would be about right, the front derailleur is the first part to get down-specced, and Shimano makes plenty of oddball parts for OEMs if the big ones ask for it. The scarcity of this particular front derailleur is evidence for it being an OEM-only part... every one ever made would have gone out attached to a bicycle, so there wouldn't be too many of them floating around.

Still, a good thing to have in the knowledge vault!

--Shannon