Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repair Stand help

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Repair Stand help

Old 08-12-22, 07:01 AM
billmc40

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts
Repair Stand help

I am wanting to do more of my own maintenance and repairs on my bikes. Looking for suggestions and a little guidance. I have a budget of 300.00.
BillMc
Old 08-12-22, 07:55 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Is that $300 just for the repair stand or is it to cover both the stand and required tools? If for the stand alone, the Park PCS 9 or PS 10 stands are very good and nicely within your budget.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-12-22, 07:58 AM
billmc40

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Is that $300 just for the repair stand or is it to cover both the stand and required tools? If for the stand alone, the Park PCS 9 or PS 10 stands are very good and nicely within your budget.
Just for the stand, I have a collection of tools. Been buying a few bike septic here and there for little repairs. The LBS has gone out of business, thought I should start doing the basics myself.
BIllMc
Old 08-12-22, 08:03 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Do you have an Aldi grocery store near you? Check there. They’ve had them in the past (I wasn’t sure about it so I went and checked it out). I already have a Park stand, but sure enough they carried them. For less than $50 (US), they looked pretty sturdy and versatile too. Others in these forums were using them and gave good reports. Tried to search online but am seeing notes that they’re out of stock online, but are available in stores.

https://offers.kd2.org/en/us/aldi/peXXZ/

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 08-12-22 at 08:13 AM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 08-12-22, 08:46 AM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
I've been using a Feedback Sports Ultralight stand for a couple of years...works great. I picked mine up lightly used off ebay for @ $180 shipped.

Ultralight Bike Repair Stand | Feedback Sports
Likes For kwb377:
Old 08-12-22, 08:58 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Just got this one from Park a couple months ago - have it mounted on a wooden beam in the garage - they also have a sister model that mounts to a work bench - happy with it so far .

PRS-4W-2 Deluxe Wall Mount Repair Stand | Park Tool
Old 08-12-22, 09:00 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by billmc40
I am wanting to do more of my own maintenance and repairs on my bikes. Looking for suggestions and a little guidance. I have a budget of 300.00.
BillMc
Amazon has a bunch of stands from <$100, in clouding a number of Park stands in the $200s. Park stands are pretty much the standard. Consider also what kind of stand you want - the clamp style that, if you have a carbon bike, is pretty much limited to seatpost clamping, or the type that supports the bottom bracket and clamps the fork ends
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-12-22, 09:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Use the money to get a power meter or something useful while riding. Just continue to hang the bike from it's saddle nose or top tube off the corner of a table. <grin>
Old 08-12-22, 09:10 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Use the money to get a power meter or something useful while riding. Just continue to hang the bike from it's saddle nose or top tube off the corner of a table. <grin>
Many of our local bike shops have Park floor mounted repair stands but the guys do the nose hang anyway
Old 08-12-22, 09:59 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Many of our local bike shops have Park floor mounted repair stands but the guys do the nose hang anyway
Note: Shops to avoid...
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-12-22, 11:38 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Do you have an Aldi grocery store near you? Check there. They’ve had them in the past (I wasn’t sure about it so I went and checked it out). I already have a Park stand, but sure enough they carried them. For less than $50 (US), they looked pretty sturdy and versatile too. Others in these forums were using them and gave good reports. Tried to search online but am seeing notes that they’re out of stock online, but are available in stores.

https://offers.kd2.org/en/us/aldi/peXXZ/

Dan
I picked one up at Aldi’s a couple months ago. I’ve used it a few times. Hard to beat for $40.
Likes For Fendertele:
Old 08-12-22, 12:23 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
A good repair stand is the best tool decision I have made over the years. Mine in an older park P....someting 10, it folds, is is super stable for any maintenance that you can do.

big fan of the park ones. buy once and user forever

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-12-22, 12:38 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
I used the original Park repair stand in the bike stores where I worked for decades. Very nice, but I'm just as happy with my Aldi stand. In fact, I slightly prefer the clamping mechanism on the latter. I haven't seen any of those stands in any of the three Aldi locations on my bike riding routes for a few months, but Amazon likely has equivalent stands available.

Tip for using the Aldi stand and equivalent light repair stands: don't spread the stabilizer legs more than about the circumference of a road bike wheel, or a bit less. That spread is sufficiently stable for most repair jobs, and spreading the legs wider just means you'd trip over them.

By the way, of interest for those questioning the methods used by nose hang/rope from ceiling mechanics: a number of the top bike repair shops in Europe are known to use the rope hang method. They use heavy-duty jigs for building frames but apparently never saw the need for super-heavy repair stands, maybe because 50-plus-pound balloon-tire bikes never caught on there.
Old 08-12-22, 02:07 PM
skinz0506

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I purchased this off of Amazon. It costs $83 and I am very happy with it. I haven't seen the Aldi stands in the stores by me for quite sometime. I would have purchased that if it was available. Heard good things about the stand.
https://www.amazon.com/CXWXC-Mechani.../dp/B08KLDN46C
Old 08-12-22, 04:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
BillMc
A bit higher than your budget but not by much. The clamp is the best clamp you can find and is head, shoulders, and probably waist line above any other clamp out there. I have two stands with this clamp (one at home and another at my daughter’s house) and have never regretted spending the money. In use constantly.

Edit: the link above is incorrect. The link above is for the cheaper stand. The PCS-4-1 is the stand with the best clamp. It’s more expensive but worth the cost.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-17-22 at 01:05 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-12-22, 05:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,462 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by kwb377
I've been using a Feedback Sports Ultralight stand for a couple of years...works great. I picked mine up lightly used off ebay for @ $180 shipped.

Ultralight Bike Repair Stand | Feedback Sports
Same here!

The Park Tool stands have slightly better clamps, but the Feedback Sports stands are lighter and more portable.
Old 08-16-22, 10:37 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
Just for the stand, I have a collection of tools. Been buying a few bike septic here and there for little repairs. The LBS has gone out of business, thought I should start doing the basics myself.
BIllMc
Good on you billmc40. Having even a cheapo bike stand, and the Park stands are several cuts above that, will change the drudgery of doing bike repairs into something that is just downright fun and oh so rewarding. It will change your life (your bicycle life anyways ).
Old 08-16-22, 10:44 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
I purchased one of these from Home Depot last year. Has been more than adequate. 81 USD
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bicycle-...1TDI/314111906
Old 08-17-22, 08:10 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
After a number of years I finally bought a work stand. There are a few aspects that I would consider; ease of use including clamping and stability/stoutness.

I do not have a Park stand but my impression is that it is a tough durable stand that is quite stable.

I bought a Feedback Sports stand and for me it works well. I don’t think it is a tough/stable as a Park stand, but it is light and easy to setup and clamp/unclamp. For higher torque work; i.e. bottom brackets I use a wheel on the ground to add stability.

Personally I’d stay away from cheap stands. If a stand is a pain to use, it won’t be used except when necessary.

For example, I don’t need a stand to lube a chain, but it sets up so quickly that there is little lost time and it does make it easier. And it makes it nice to do a once over on the bike without going through a production.

John

Edit added: Clamping a top tube is considered a no-no. But I do it all the time since I can lightly dial in the pressure with the clamp. If I had to remove the seatpost and use a dummy post everytime, I would prop the bike against something and not use the stand except when absolutely necessary.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-17-22 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-17-22, 08:29 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Same here!

The Park Tool stands have slightly better clamps, but the Feedback Sports stands are lighter and more portable.
Having used the Feedback stands, I have to say that the Park clamp is vastly superior. It’s very difficult to hold the bike in the clamp of the Feedback and then screw in the clamp. Older Feedbacks had a ratchet mechanism that slide in but it still needed to be screwed in to properly hold the seatpost. The old clamp also had a button that would release the ratchet. The button wasn’t all that convenient since it drops the bike out of the clamp is something of an unpredictable manner and you have to pull the ratchet out to get the seatpost free. Very fiddly.

I’ve used the newer type of clamp shown in the link and can’t figure out how to make it ratchet like the old one. I usually end up unscrewing the clamp while holding the bike and there is a lot of unscrewing to do. Even more fiddly.

The Park clamp is just a lever that only needs a slight pull to fully release the bike and a slight push to securely clamp the bike.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-17-22, 08:33 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Edit added: Clamping a top tube is considered a no-no. But I do it all the time since I can lightly dial in the pressure with the clamp. If I had to remove the seatpost and use a dummy post everytime, I would prop the bike against something and not use the stand except when absolutely necessary.
Clamping the top tube with the clamp pressure set too high is a no-no. The beauty of the Park clamp is that it is very adjustable. I clamp the top tube of my tandem (carefully!) because clamping a seatpost on that bike makes the stand unstable. Everything else is clamp on the seatpost, however.

Old 08-17-22, 09:29 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Clamping the top tube with the clamp pressure set too high is a no-no. The beauty of the Park clamp is that it is very adjustable. I clamp the top tube of my tandem (carefully!) because clamping a seatpost on that bike makes the stand unstable. Everything else is clamp on the seatpost, however.
Thanks. That’s good to know.

I am not as familiar with the Park stands. A neighbor had one with a lever (cam) clamp and that seemed like an easy way to destroy a frame tube. He rode mtb’s and always clamped on the seatpost.

I don’t think the folding Park stands use that clamp. The reasons I got the Ultralight stand were stand weight and the speed knob (?).

John
Old 08-17-22, 09:31 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
I purchased one of these from Home Depot last year. Has been more than adequate. 81 USD
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bicycle-...1TDI/314111906
I had no idea Home Depot sells them! And it looks like free shipping to a store or home. I learn something new every day.
Old 08-17-22, 11:40 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

I am not as familiar with the Park stands. A neighbor had one with a lever (cam) clamp and that seemed like an easy way to destroy a frame tube. He rode mtb’s and always clamped on the seatpost.

I don’t think the folding Park stands use that clamp. The reasons I got the Ultralight stand were stand weight and the speed knob (?).

John
The Park cam clamp isn't ideal - mine offers three settings for three tube width ranges - fortunately two of the settings work OK for my oversize Ti tubing and my narrower steel tubing, respectively. This would be less than ideal with a CF frame, but it doesn't hurt the metal frames, apart from trashing one decal high on the seat tube
Old 08-17-22, 01:04 PM
cyccommute 

John
Originally Posted by Litespud
The Park cam clamp isn't ideal - mine offers three settings for three tube width ranges - fortunately two of the settings work OK for my oversize Ti tubing and my narrower steel tubing, respectively. This would be less than ideal with a CF frame, but it doesn't hurt the metal frames, apart from trashing one decal high on the seat tube
Both of you are referring to the old spring clamp design which was on the stands in the early to late 90s. The shop quality clamp on the PCS-4-1 that I (tried to link to, will edit it above) is far more adjustable. You could still crush a frame but you don’t have to if you adjust it properly. I would have no problem clamping any frame in Parks Professional Adjustable Linkage clamp as long as it is adjusted. I tend to clamp on the seatpost to err on the side of caution but clamping on the frame isn’t a problem with some caveats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.