Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stripped handlebar cinch bolt

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 04:26 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

I could never tighten the cinch bolt of the handlebar stem (what's the proper term for it?) enough to keep the handlebar from rotating. Today I couldn't tighten it at all: the bolt has stripped its threads. I tightened it by hand with a regular allen wrench, and I'm not especially strong. Is there a better bolt? Or would that strip the stem's threads?
Old 09-01-22, 06:53 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Probably the threads on the stem. It may be that the bar’s diameter is jus a bit too small and the clamp just closed on itself. But if that’s not the case, and you don’t want to invest in a new stem…you could get a longer bolt, and put a nut on the other side and tighten it that way.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 09-02-22, 08:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Is this a stem that has a bolt and nut? If so you can just replace them. However if the bolt is going into a threaded hole on the stem, then likely the hole is stripped. I doubt I'd try to drill and tap it for a bigger bolt. Just get a new stem.

Make sure as _ForceD_ said to be certain your handlebar diameter matches what the handlebar clamp on the stem is made for.
Old 09-02-22, 09:40 AM
Arthur Peabody

The handlebar and stem are the only original parts on this bicycle. Someone attacked it, bending the frame and fork; someone stole the seat and its post; I've replaced all other parts because I've worn them out or broken them - so I hope the handlebar and stem are matched. It's 30 years old - it may have worn out.

The bolt is 8mm x 22mm! The hardware store has 20 and 25. 25 was too long (it's a goose neck with no neck: the female threads are in the stem.) so I'm trying the 20.
Old 09-02-22, 09:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
You'd hope they are original, but on a 30 year old bike with previous owners, there is always the possibility that they were replaced. And maybe with incorrect bars.

When I was a kid 50 years ago it seemed I never liked the handlebars that came with some of my bikes and they got new bars right away.
Old 09-02-22, 10:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,211 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
The handlebar and stem are the only original parts on this bicycle. Someone attacked it, bending the frame and fork; someone stole the seat and its post; I've replaced all other parts because I've worn them out or broken them - so I hope the handlebar and stem are matched. It's 30 years old - it may have worn out.

The bolt is 8mm x 22mm! The hardware store has 20 and 25. 25 was too long (it's a goose neck with no neck: the female threads are in the stem.) so I'm trying the 20.
Maybe time for a new stem and/or handlebar? It’s 30 years old after all…and broken now.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-02-22, 11:13 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts

If the female threads in the stem are stripped out, then a new bolt is not going to do you any good.
Just but a new stem. They are not expensive.
Old 09-02-22, 06:07 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by Iride01
You'd hope they are original, but on a 30 year old bike with previous owners,
No previous owners.

Originally Posted by Iride01
When I was a kid 50 years ago it seemed I never liked the handlebars that came with some of my bikes and they got new bars right away.
When I was a kid 60 years ago it didn't cross my mind to dislike the handlebars. I rode my '62 Schwinn Typhoon for 9 years. I broke the handlebar stem. I was holding the bars and lifting to get extra power on the pedals when it broke; I lifted them above my head, was looking at the sky, uncomprehending. Oddly, I remember that feeling but not how I must have felt when I fell.

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
If the female threads in the stem are stripped out, then a new bolt is not going to do you any good.
Yes. I'll find that out. A bolt is a small expense to try.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Maybe time for a new stem and/or handlebar? It’s 30 years old after all…and broken now.
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Just but a new stem. They are not expensive.
I'm a minimalist and frugal: I like to make things do. The handlebars have been bent at least 3 times: once in the attack mentioned in the original message, once when someone jumped the curb and drove into it, once when a motorist drove into me, throwing the bicycle and me 20 feet into the air. It's a reminder. I'm not going to win a race or a beauty contest.
Old 09-02-22, 06:16 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I'm a minimalist and frugal: I like to make things do. The handlebars have been bent at least 3 times: once in the attack mentioned in the original message, once when someone jumped the curb and drove into it, once when a motorist drove into me, throwing the bicycle and me 20 feet into the air. It's a reminder. I'm not going to win a race or a beauty contest.
Frugal is all well and good but once something is broken, that’s not frugal anymore. It’s broken. If the stem has internal threads, there’s no way to repair them and attempts to do so will likely result in failure of a part that is somewhat critical. You don’t have to run out and buy a $200 stem but buying a $20 or $40 new (or used) stem is far cheaper than the dental bills.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-02-22, 08:40 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts

Bolts can be cut shorter rather easily. Using a too-short bolt could result in its coming loose and/or stripping the threads; having the bars come off is only funny in the cartoons.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 09-02-22, 08:44 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
...I'm a minimalist and frugal: I like to make things do. The handlebars have been bent at least 3 times: once in the attack mentioned in the original message, once when someone jumped the curb and drove into it, once when a motorist drove into me, throwing the bicycle and me 20 feet into the air. It's a reminder. I'm not going to win a race or a beauty contest.
Is the bike possessed or something?
Old 09-02-22, 09:22 PM
Arthur Peabody

failure of a part that is somewhat critical.
It's not critical. I kept riding my bike without it. It just keeps the handlebars from rotating. I can always keep my hands on top.

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Bolts can be cut shorter rather easily.
Perhaps with better tools than I have. It's thick and hardened steel, not like cheap machine screws. And it's hard to hold on to.

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Is the bike possessed or something?
Possessed by me.

Homeless Depot has 22mm. I found the last one in an adjacent bin.
Old 09-02-22, 10:30 PM
cyccommute 

It's not critical. I kept riding my bike without it. It just keeps the handlebars from rotating. I can always keep my hands on top.
Rotating handlebars are seldom considered to be a good thing. I fail to see how you can keep your “hands on the top” and operate the brakes.

Old 09-03-22, 02:58 PM
Arthur Peabody

Rotating handlebars are seldom considered to be a good thing.
I didn't write that it was a good thing, just that it's not critical.

I fail to see how you can keep your “hands on the top” and operate the brakes.
I have levers that I squeeze, which I can do without applying torque to the bar.