Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Single speed hill climbing

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-22, 01:04 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

So in my limited time with electric bicycles I do believe that it makes sense to just single speed it and not use a complex external derailleur.

My area has some pretty steep hills. 30 grade, even 40 in parts.

How would a single speed ebike work out?
Old 10-16-22, 07:23 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
So in doing research I've hit on the mid drive being the best for hills. I've always been a little reluctant on mid drive but I think that in addition it being single speed would reduce the impact of the increased chain wear from a mid drive motor, and that it probably is the best way to go for an ebike aimed at hills.
Old 10-17-22, 03:53 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Mid drive + igh will do fantastic on hills, but mid drive+ single speed isn't gonna cut it, it will be too much strain on the motor, as well as hella difficult for the rider.
Old 10-17-22, 08:11 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Mid + SS negates the main advantage of a mid-drive, that of multiplication of ratio using a cassette, freewheel or IGH. If your gearing is adequate for the steepest hills, you'll spin out in flat areas very rapidly and vice versa.
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-17-22, 08:27 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
on a 22% grade on my bosch powered trek with a 11-34 cassette and 46t chain ring I have to put out 520 watts to keep the cranks at 70rpms. I have been lazy and have not put on the 11-42 it came with to test it. but still its a crap ton of work getting up that. but that gearing is way to low to ride on the flats.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-17-22, 09:03 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
"...steep hills..."

Gears were invented for a reason.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 11-06-22, 06:43 AM
graycenphil

Bikes: Proflex, Bike Friday, Breezer Zig7, Kona Scrap, Raleigh 3 speed, Schwin Tandem, Cignal Melbourne Express Tandem, FLX Babymaker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a single speed ebike, FLX Babymaker, hub motor with belt drive. We live in a hilly area (not mountains). It works, but is not ideal. I wanted simplicity, and not an obvious electric bike look.

The bike is geared fairly high so riding in hills without electric assist is pretty difficult. Once you are moving, the motor makes climbing very pleasant, and fast if you so choose. But starting out on a hill, especially a steep one, is somewhat difficult. If you have very steep hills, San Francisco like, you may have a hard time getting going.

All that said, I am satisfied with the bike for my type of riding in this area. To be sure, it would be kind of nice if it had an internal three speed hub, or even a double chainring in the front. Just something lower for big hills. Like any single speed,it is somewhat limited on the top end too. It’s hard to pedal much faster than 20 or so mph.
Likes For graycenphil:
Old 11-06-22, 10:31 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Single speeds and fixed gears are fun but for regular commuting in hilly areas they are not as much fun. Great for casual rides but serious commuting I want gears or at least a CVT hub like Enviolo. E-bikes aren't totally magical they are bicycles they just give you some assist.

We built a single speed Specialized Como at our shop years ago and it was a fun bike, but going up hills wasn't as fun as on the original Como and having to ride it day in and day out I wouldn't do it. Now for fun on the weekends yeah it would be a blast, I got nowhere to go and plenty of time to ride potentially so yeah lets do it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-06-22, 04:41 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
As my 9 year old granddaughter yelled as she moved from a 20" coaster brake bike to a 7 speed 20" minivello with disk brakes that I gave her, "THIS IS FUN!!!!!",

I felt the same when I ditched my 24" balloon tired roadmaster for an elegant 3 speed English Racer, except the Racer wasn't mine, and I had to ride the old clunker another few years, Meanwhile balloon tired, low resistance tires have come around.
Likes For Doc_Wui: