Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-22, 05:59 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 190 Posts
Tire Wear

I have a rear gravel tire (Bontrager GR1 Team Issue) that seems to be wearing off center a bit more towards the drive side. I haven't study it close enough to say it is really off center. Could be the tread is off center. Perhaps molded asymmetrically or somehow mounted asymmetrically.

It's a thru-axle so no chance the wheel has been mounted at an angle.

But I also was wondering if it is possible it is actually wearing asymmetrically. For example, actually making more right-hand turns than left, or making more right hand turns at higher speeds (more force on tire) something like that. Or maybe I literally ride weird with my body weight to the left tilting the bike to the right. Though that seems very unlikely.

Anyone seen this on there rear tires?
Old 10-28-22, 11:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Too many variables to be able to respond intelligently. Among the things you listed disregard the turns unless you're riding in circles.

One you didn't consider is an unconscious preference for one side of rutted roads and tracks. I'm a road rider and rear tires all wear to the left owing to the crown of paved roads.

However, this is the kind of thing you shouldn't obsess over.

If the bike rides and tracks true and
you don't notice any issues while riding, then all is OK, and you should focus on enjoying the ride

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-29-22 at 02:21 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-29-22, 01:44 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
…Anyone seen this on their rear tires?
I see a very slight but perceptible increase in wear on NDS on my commuter. Drive-on-right jurisdiction; heavier pannier on NDS; and I’m in the northern hemisphere in case anyone wants to invoke the Coriolis effect.

NDS on left in this picture.
Old 10-29-22, 02:00 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
De-mount, flip, and reinstall periodically to equalize the wear?
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-29-22, 02:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
De-mount, flip, and reinstall periodically to equalize the wear?
But if you send the label to the non-drive side, that raises all sorts of other issues. Might get you banned from several forums here.

And another possibility - road crown. (Not obvious to me which side would wear faster.) I find the tread being off center very easy to believe for any tire made by hand or less than the best automation or made for a price. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Especially a rear that I cannot see.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-29-22, 02:45 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
But if you send the label to the non-drive side, that raises all sorts of other issues. Might get you banned from several forums here.

And another possibility - road crown. (Not obvious to me which side would wear faster.) I find the tread being off center very easy to believe for any tire made by hand or less than the best automation or made for a price. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Especially a rear that I cannot see.
I ride on the right and notice my tires wear more on the left, which I attribute to road crown.
Off topic, my '65 VW Beetle repair manual listed alternate, asymmetrical front end alignment angles for high-crowned roads.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-29-22, 04:36 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Crowned roads...the ONLY answer. I totally agree.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-29-22, 06:02 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
...Coriolis effect.
Old 10-30-22, 12:39 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Road crown, that's what I was thinking but could not recall what it was called. My road bike tires wear more on the NDS side due to this. I flip them once in a while. There are labels on both sides of three tires so I can still align them with the valve stem.
Old 10-30-22, 09:26 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Road crown, that's what I was thinking but could not recall what it was called. My road bike tires wear more on the NDS side due to this. I flip them once in a while. There are labels on both sides of three tires so I can still align them with the valve stem.
You can't see the valve stem from the left side of the bike?
Old 10-30-22, 09:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
This is your better advice on the issue IMO. Perhaps you aren't obsessing and just posing a slight puzzle you've been ruminating on for a time.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
However, this is the kind of thing you shouldn't obsess over.

If the bike rides and tracks true and
you don't notice any issues while riding, then all is OK, and you should focus on enjoying the ride
I'd go for the cause as what you said yourself. Perhaps you could dismount them and flatten a section of the tire and measure from bead to bead where the wear pattern is. However double check that your witness lines on the tire is shown equally on both side before dismounting.

Originally Posted by Mtracer
Could be the tread is off center. Perhaps molded asymmetrically or somehow mounted asymmetrically.

Anyone seen this on there rear tires?
I've seen this.... but I immediately applied the advice that is being suggested by FBinNY

Though one time I actually did have a tire cockeyed in the drops and somehow still centered between the brake calipers. It wore very quick, there were other slight noticeable issues too. But their quirkiness at the time didn't suggest the wheel incorrectly aligned. However this was a old style QR and drops. Took a few months before I realized what the problem was.
Old 10-30-22, 11:38 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
Or spend some time in the UK to even things out.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 11-01-22, 08:47 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 190 Posts
I'm in the USA and the wear I have is more to the drive side, right side, and inconsistent with it being caused by the crown of the roads. I took a closer look, and I think it is more about the subtle variations in the tire tread. The tire has small knobs and the middle row is, well in the middle. So, the tire doesn't seem to be off center in any way. It really seems like the knobs on the right are not as tall. So, they have worn down almost completely a bit sooner.

Likely the knobs on the right were higher than the left when the tire was new. The tires are made in molds, so I doubt the actual tread varies. But of course the tread is the outside of a more complex casing. I'm thinking the underlying casing has some variation or asymmetry. The wear isn't even the same around the circumference of the tire.

I also looked at the previous wore tire, same tire type, and it didn't wear this way. So, again, I think it is just a characteristic of this specific tire. The original question was more about curiosity than anything. I don't have a problem to solve. But the responses were interesting and the idea of road crown never occurred to me.