Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I am now "that guy" at the LBS

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I am now "that guy" at the LBS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-22, 03:03 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
This has been an ongoing problem for years. Retailers have complained and complained about it. It's not cool when someone in the US can order an Ultegra group from the UK and get it for less than a shop would pay for it wholesale from QBP and get it in a week, free shipping. Shimano has worked on it a bit, but it seems like it's just made it harder for retailers to get parts from distributors. Not sure about the website template thing, could be something like that.
A lot of this could have to do with currency exchange rates. Things may be different now that the English Pound has been hammered recently.
Old 10-31-22, 04:02 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Not all, we do that all the time. I was talking about something else I think.
ETA: Was talking about prj71. He says he ALWAYS buys his parts online because he think's the retail bike shop is gouging him on the price, that they're 'marking up' the price more than online sellers. The truth is most shops (at least the one I work at) charge msrp for parts. Online sellers pay less for stuff, sometimes buying unused overstock from bike companies that paid OEM pricing for the stuff in the first place and don't need or care to make much profit on it, they just want to get ride of it. This is how some online sellers provide parts in non-retail packaging. My ideal customer would be the guy who doesn't mind sourcing parts online if we can't get them but buys from us when we have the part(s) in stock.
The flipside: during the supply chain issues (which still exist for a few parts categories), my fave LBS was indeed charging MSRP while online sellers were selling many items waaaay over MSRP. Examples: I bought two Ultegra rotors from my LBS last winter for sticker price ($59 each) when the best online price was $90 and a weeks long wait (which may have not ever even resulted in actual shipment). And when my 11sp Shimano 105 bike needed a new rear STI lever, my mechanic just grabbed one that he had stashed away -- charged me $110, and this was when you probably couldn't find the part anywhere. So, yeah, LBS's really suck, don't they?

Oh, and yeah, my LBS charged me MSRP for a new Thule hitch rack -- same as reputable online sellers. But my shop unpacked it, assembled it (and disposed of the packing materials), mounted it to my car and made sure I understood how to use it properly, and would've gone to the wall for me if there'd ever been a warranty issue. Yeah, those bike shops are really gouging us.

The really funny part is the sheer number of posts around here from people who complain about their bike shops. In my experience, if you have a good relationship with your shop, you'll never have reason to post about them other than to offer praise like the above.

Last edited by Koyote; 10-31-22 at 08:52 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-31-22, 04:14 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
There's numerous legal reasons that they can't buy from a retailer--it may violate their contract with the supplier, it might violate the retailer's agreement with the manufacturer and/or their distributors, so some retailers won't ship to a store, and finally, if the store purchases the part from the rtailer, it makes itself the last link in the chain of distribution to the consumer, which carries with it liability if the part is defective and/or counterfeit. They don't get that liability if they suggest you to buy it off ebay or Amazon as they aren't in the chain of distribution. I'm pretty sure the store's insurer isn't going to allow them to purchase for sale from just any retailer.
This has been an ongoing problem for years. Retailers have complained and complained about it. It's not cool when someone in the US can order an Ultegra group from the UK and get it for less than a shop would pay for it wholesale from QBP and get it in a week, free shipping. Shimano has worked on it a bit, but it seems like it's just made it harder for retailers to get parts from distributors. Not sure about the website template thing, could be something like that.
In other words, the LBS is bent over a barrel. I know some manufacturers have a minimum sale price, but no idea if that would solve anything in this situation. Even then, I know some retailers find ways around it.
Old 10-31-22, 04:14 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

If we build a bike from the frame up we charge $400.00. Trek never did labor credits for warranty rebuilds, but Specialized does help out to a certain degree.
That's about what I expected considering a thorough tune up and drivetrain cleaning is around $150.

Do Cannondale, Giant or other brands offer any labor credits?
Old 10-31-22, 04:22 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Lombard
A lot of this could have to do with currency exchange rates. Things may be different now that the English Pound has been hammered recently.
I don't know. PBK has been undercutting the US market for well over a decade now, both when the dollar was strong and when the dollar was weak.
Old 10-31-22, 04:28 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Koyote
The really funny part is the sheer number of posts around here from people who complain about their bike shops. In my experience, if you have a good relationship with your shop, you'll never have reason to post about them other than to offer praise like the above.
Also funny how half of their complaints are about things that the online stores don't offer in the first place. "Their service department is backlogged by 2 weeks!" but they sure as heck aren't boxing it up to send to a big box store to install new cables. "They never have a variety of helmets for me to try on" but they aren't going to travel to the big box company to try on their vast selection either.

There are a few mobile bike mechanics popping up around here. Probably a good idea. No shop space to rent, and just need to stock the most common tubes, cables, etc. to install whatever the customer buys online.
Old 10-31-22, 06:31 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by wheelreason
LMAO.
At least once every couple of weeks "That guy" will come in with your logic above, it goes something like this,
That Guy: "That bike's MSRP is $7000, your cost is $4562.38, I'll give you $5200, and you'll make almost $700 as opposed to making nothing, should be a no brainer for you"
Me: "Get out".
Yikes! That's more than a 25% discount. That might be reasonable on last model year's bikes that might not sell, but on current MY bikes I would show them the door.

FYI, I actually once got a previous MY bike (a 2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 in 2008) for $1,800 that retailed for $2,400. And no, I did not even suggest the discount. They offered it to me for that. Considering what they paid for that bike, they made very little off of it.
Old 11-01-22, 10:06 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
[QUOTE=livedarklions;22696584]There's numerous legal reasons that they can't buy from a retailer--it may violate their contract with the supplier,....

Is that a thing? How can that be legal?

When I had my dental practice, suppliers used to pull that crap on me all the time. "If you agree to buy everything from us, we'll give you the best price." They didn't because now they have you locked in., So, goodbye to you and on to the next vendor.

On my way to the LBS and I'll figure out a polite way to ask him.
Old 11-01-22, 10:36 AM
Koyote

Yikes! That's more than a 25% discount. That might be reasonable on last model year's bikes that might not sell, but on current MY bikes I would show them the door.

FYI, I actually once got a previous MY bike (a 2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 in 2008) for $1,800 that retailed for $2,400. And no, I did not even suggest the discount. They offered it to me for that. Considering what they paid for that bike, they made very little off of it.
The post (by wheelreason ) that you quoted was a non-sequitur response to another post. It wasn't even on-topic. He also refuses to accept that selling an item for more than its marginal cost (or COGS) adds profit -- which is kindergarten arithmetic.

Other than all that, great catch!
Old 11-01-22, 12:25 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

The post (by wheelreason ) that you quoted was a non-sequitur response to another post. It wasn't even on-topic. He also refuses to accept that selling an item for more than its marginal cost (or COGS) adds profit -- which is kindergarten arithmetic.
Sure, it's profit on that particular purchase. But there is no way a shop can survive making that small a profit off each bike. When you factor in all of the shop's expenses, they lose money on that sale.
Old 11-01-22, 12:37 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Warranties for a derailleur...how often does that happen in all honesty? But yeah, if a shop is concerned about that, then they should build it into the price of the service.
I had the hubs in a pair of stock Shimano wheels go south once. The shop was able to finagle a new wheelset from Shimano even though the wheels were over 2 years old and the Shimano warranty was only 1 year. Obviously they wouldn't have been able to do that if they bought the wheels off Amazon. Granted derailleurs are cheaper than wheels, but it all adds up.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I can't speak for all shops, but I've never seen a shop NOT have a backlog of repairs........
That shop that doesn't have a backlog is most probably a shop you don't want to work on your bike.

I can barely get the packing material off a new bike in 15mins.
Ha! It would probably take me at least a half hour to remove all that cr@p! And what some are probably missing here is that more often than you might think, parts of the bike that were assembled at the factory have to be re-done due to eff-ups. When I took delivery of my 2014 Cannondale Synapse, it had some shifting problems. Turns out the two internally routed shifter cables were crossing each other inside the frame causing excess friction for each one. They had to take the time to troubleshoot the problem, find out what it was, then remove and re-route the cables which takes time even for experienced mechanics.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I guess my point was that the mechanics are rarely just sitting around with nothing to do, so any extra assignments has to be covered by either pushing the waitlist back or giving out extra hours.
At the shop where I used to live, I don't think the owner ever left the shop less than 2 hours after closing time. Most of the mechanics would say "I'm outta here" and the owner would be working on bikes.

Last edited by Lombard; 11-01-22 at 01:36 PM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-01-22, 01:39 PM
Koyote

Sure, it's profit on that particular purchase. But there is no way a shop can survive making that small a profit off each bike. When you factor in all of the shop's expenses, they lose money on that sale.
Agreed, as I repeatedly acknowledged. That was not the point.
Old 11-01-22, 02:19 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Agreed, as I repeatedly acknowledged. That was not the point.
That is precisely the point. "Kindergarten arithmetic" as you put it is not the point.
Old 11-01-22, 03:58 PM
Koyote

That is precisely the point. "Kindergarten arithmetic" as you put it is not the point.
You can read the whole thread, or you can make uninformed posts like this. Your choice.
Old 11-01-22, 04:15 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

The flipside: during the supply chain issues (which still exist for a few parts categories), my fave LBS was indeed charging MSRP while online sellers were selling many items waaaay over MSRP. Examples: I bought two Ultegra rotors from my LBS last winter for sticker price ($59 each) when the best online price was $90 and a weeks long wait (which may have not ever even resulted in actual shipment). And when my 11sp Shimano 105 bike needed a new rear STI lever, my mechanic just grabbed one that he had stashed away -- charged me $110, and this was when you probably couldn't find the part anywhere. So, yeah, LBS's really suck, don't they?

Oh, and yeah, my LBS charged me MSRP for a new Thule hitch rack -- same as reputable online sellers. But my shop unpacked it, assembled it (and disposed of the packing materials), mounted it to my car and made sure I understood how to use it properly, and would've gone to the wall for me if there'd ever been a warranty issue. Yeah, those bike shops are really gouging us.

Not all, we do that all the time. I was talking about something else I think.
ETA: Was talking about prj71. He says he ALWAYS buys his parts online because he think's the retail bike shop is gouging him on the price, that they're 'marking up' the price more than online sellers. The truth is most shops (at least the one I work at) charge msrp for parts. Online sellers pay less for stuff, sometimes buying unused overstock from bike companies that paid OEM pricing for the stuff in the first place and don't need or care to make much profit on it, they just want to get ride of it. This is how some online sellers provide parts in non-retail packaging. My ideal customer would be the guy who doesn't mind sourcing parts online if we can't get them but buys from us when we have the part(s) in stock.
Update: just got back from the shop and talked to the owner. More than happy to install parts purchased elsewhere; they do it all the time. And echoed the above: Shimano has seemed to be the big problem, allocated most of their shipments towards new builds. And yes, online stock may have been older inventory (esp stuff like tubes and tires), but still ok despite note being the most current version.

Now, as to "price gouging." That is a total B.S. accusation for anyone who has ever taken a course in business or economics or run a business. Prices are set by willing seller/willing buyer. If I didn't like the price, I go elsewhere. If I don't want Shimano, I buy Campy or SRAM. If I don't like the price of Continental tires, I buy Vittoria. If I don't agree with the lawn service cost, I find another or do it myself.

Bottom line: I have my bike back and paid a fair price for the service. And when I go on the group ride tomorrow, I am going to tell everyone how Ric took great care of me.
Old 11-01-22, 04:23 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Ha! It would probably take me at least a half hour to remove all that cr@p! And what some are probably missing here is that more often than you might think, parts of the bike that were assembled at the factory have to be re-done due to eff-ups. When I took delivery of my 2014 Cannondale Synapse, it had some shifting problems. Turns out the two internally routed shifter cables were crossing each other inside the frame causing excess friction for each one. They had to take the time to troubleshoot the problem, find out what it was, then remove and re-route the cables which takes time even for experienced mechanics.
Well yeah, screw-ups took quite a bit of extra time to fix, and then I had to make my case to the manager as to why I didn't get all 3 of the Rockhoppers done within the hour.
Old 11-01-22, 04:28 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by bblair
Now, as to "price gouging." That is a total B.S. accusation for anyone who has ever taken a course in business or economics or run a business. Prices are set by willing seller/willing buyer.
For the most part, I agree with you on this -- a consumer almost always has a choice, including the choice to simply walk away. To willingly pay a price, and then claim you were 'gouged,' in nonsensical.

Things get more complicated in less competitive industries, esp those which produce goods with low price elasticities of demand -- what most people consider to be "necessities." Patented pharmaceuticals come to mind. When the alternative (to paying excessively high prices) is to, say, die, then I'm a bit more sympathetic to the term "gouging," though better terms exist.
Old 11-01-22, 05:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
For the most part, I agree with you on this -- a consumer almost always has a choice, including the choice to simply walk away. To willingly pay a price, and then claim you were 'gouged,' in nonsensical.

Things get more complicated in less competitive industries, esp those which produce goods with low price elasticities of demand -- what most people consider to be "necessities." Patented pharmaceuticals come to mind. When the alternative (to paying excessively high prices) is to, say, die, then I'm a bit more sympathetic to the term "gouging," though better terms exist.

Yeah, my nieces would have something to say about "willingly" paying the inflated costs of insulin over the past few years.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-01-22, 05:48 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
you can bring your own bottle of wine and they charge a fee for uncorking, serving, washing the glasses etc.
You were doing great until this, you can't expect people to believe you are making this comparison in good faith
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 11-02-22, 06:52 AM
bblair

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yeah, my nieces would have something to say about "willingly" paying the inflated costs of insulin over the past few years.
Of course I would agree with that. But they are not the same.

Shimano does not have a monopoly, like some drug companies. There is no substitute for insulin, but there is for bike parts. And labor. Including taking up a different sport.

Nobody has died for lack of an Ultegra shifter.

"What aboutism" is not a good argument.
Old 11-02-22, 06:58 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Of course I would agree with that. But they are not the same.

Shimano does not have a monopoly, like some drug companies. There is no substitute for insulin, but there is for bike parts. And labor. Including taking up a different sport.

Nobody has died for lack of an Ultegra shifter.

"What aboutism" is not a good argument.
This may be true. But there is no doubt that Shimano has a death grip on the components market vs. others like SRAM and Campagnolo. After all, how many new bikes are equipped with groupos other than Shimano?
Old 11-02-22, 07:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
I had the hubs in a pair of stock Shimano wheels go south once. The shop was able to finagle a new wheelset from Shimano even though the wheels were over 2 years old and the Shimano warranty was only 1 year. Obviously they wouldn't have been able to do that if they bought the wheels off Amazon. Granted derailleurs are cheaper than wheels, but it all adds up.
Cool. Thats aside from what I posted, but cool.
Old 11-02-22, 07:34 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
From the OP..."Update: just got back from the shop and talked to the owner. More than happy to install parts purchased elsewhere; they do it all the time."

You indicated in the original post that your were told they would do that. Now the question is how much do that charge and how do they determine it? Is it based on an hourly rate? Is there a minimum involved?
Old 11-02-22, 08:11 AM
Koyote

This may be true. But there is no doubt that Shimano has a death grip on the components market vs. others like SRAM and Campagnolo. After all, how many new bikes are equipped with groupos other than Shimano?
oof. Have you been in a bike shop lately?
Old 11-02-22, 08:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
I'm not sure I ever said they are gouging me on price. But I have stated that my local bike shop prices are always higher than what I can buy the same items for online. And that includes the shipping fee to my house and they are still cheaper.

For example. I just purchased this tire. Free shipping delivered to my house for $68.56

https://www.scheels.com/p/bontrager-...iABEgINqfD_BwE

Bike shop after tax will cost me 73.84. Plus gas and wear and tear on my vehicle. Round trip to LBS is 60 miles. Truck gets ~20 mpg so that's 3 gallons of gas. 3 x $3.75/gallon = $11.25. So now that tire has cost me $85.

Might not sound like a lot but imagine doing that a few times a year and $$$$$ adds up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.