Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I am now "that guy" at the LBS

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I am now "that guy" at the LBS

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-22, 08:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,488 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
This may be true. But there is no doubt that Shimano has a death grip on the components market vs. others like SRAM and Campagnolo. After all, how many new bikes are equipped with groupos other than Shimano?
SRAM has a decent % of gravel, MTB, and hybrid.
Microshift has a noticeably growing % of gravel, entry MTB, and hybrid.
Campy?...yeah thats just flat out rare.

Shimano definitely is large, but its hardly a deathgrip.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-02-22, 08:30 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
This may be true. But there is no doubt that Shimano has a death grip on the components market vs. others like SRAM and Campagnolo. After all, how many new bikes are equipped with groupos other than Shimano?
What Koyote said. I see more SRAM components than anything on bikes these days. Have yet to see any campy at all at any bike shop ever.
Likes For prj71:
Old 11-02-22, 08:38 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
heh, there is much doubt. between SRAM at the mid and high end (especially for gravel and hybrid) and microshift and so on at the low end, it seems like shimano is on less than half of new bikes.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 11-02-22, 08:45 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
heh, there is much doubt. between SRAM at the mid and high end (especially for gravel and hybrid) and microshift and so on at the low end, it seems like shimano is on less than half of new bikes.
No doubt that some gravel and mountain bikes are being sold with SRAM 1X. But road bikes? I see few with SRAM 2X. The Cannondale Synapse has only Shimano:

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...urance/synapse
Old 11-02-22, 09:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
Of course I would agree with that. But they are not the same.

Shimano does not have a monopoly, like some drug companies. There is no substitute for insulin, but there is for bike parts. And labor. Including taking up a different sport.

Nobody has died for lack of an Ultegra shifter.

"What aboutism" is not a good argument.

I was agreeing with Koyote that the "willing bargain" argument had limits and didn't apply to some situations when the goods involved were critical to survival. Insulin just happened to be an example I'm very aware of. I am also quite aware that my desire for Dura Ace or whatever bears no resemblance to my nieces' need for insulin in order to live, and did not suggest anything of the kind.

You've acknowledged Koyote 's point and I was merely supporting it with an actual example. You and I aren't even arguing, let alone engaging in "whataboutism". "Price gouging" properly applies to necessities.

If you want to have an argument with me, we could discuss whether "whataboutism" is one word or two. We could compromise on hyphenated.
Old 11-02-22, 09:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

No doubt that some gravel and mountain bikes are being sold with SRAM 1X. But road bikes? I see few with SRAM 2X. The Cannondale Synapse has only Shimano:

I bought an Allez last summer with SRAM. Specialized is using them on road bikes.
Old 11-02-22, 10:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
We've gone from this:
To this:

Keep moving those goalposts and maybe you won't be sooo wrong. Oh, wait, nope -- still wrong. Specialized has plenty of 2x SRAM road bikes, Trek has a whole bunch, etc.
Old 11-02-22, 02:49 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I was agreeing with Koyote that the "willing bargain" argument had limits and didn't apply to some situations when the goods involved were critical to survival. Insulin just happened to be an example I'm very aware of. I am also quite aware that my desire for Dura Ace or whatever bears no resemblance to my nieces' need for insulin in order to live, and did not suggest anything of the kind.

You've acknowledged Koyote 's point and I was merely supporting it with an actual example. You and I aren't even arguing, let alone engaging in "whataboutism". "Price gouging" properly applies to necessities.

If you want to have an argument with me, we could discuss whether "whataboutism" is one word or two. We could compromise on hyphenated.
Hyphenated is ok with me.

BTW, sometimes in these threads, replies to quotes don't always go to who they are intended. At least, for me.

Don't want to have an argument, too tired from cycling today.
Old 11-02-22, 02:52 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Originally Posted by TugaDude
From the OP..."Update: just got back from the shop and talked to the owner. More than happy to install parts purchased elsewhere; they do it all the time."

You indicated in the original post that your were told they would do that. Now the question is how much do that charge and how do they determine it? Is it based on an hourly rate? Is there a minimum involved?
Those are questions that I cannot answer. He told me the cost and I said "Ok". Probably a flat rate depending on estimated time involved. It was not a complicated problem required extensive diagnostic work.

Picked it up yesterday, rode it today. Works great!
Likes For bblair:
Old 11-02-22, 03:02 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I feel like, "why can I buy parts at retail when my lbs can't get them at wholesale" is very close to a self-answering question. They can also buy parts at retail, but that doesn't exactly pay the rent, does it?

I saw the owner of my LBS buying parts from Amazon. That guarantees they lose money on those parts. I know over the last couple of years, they have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find parts and it's not always possible. They were trading parts with people. There has been some indication that big mail order businesses were getting parts through normal channels while small shops couldn't. It has been a difficult time for most bike shops.
If they lose money buying retail it's their problem. Simply explaining to a customer that we have the option to source parts retail but will impact the price they pay is a standard process throughout the world. If the LBS's process is so arcane that they can only source from an approved vendor they are bound to fail eventually. Sadly our LBS's are becoming a thing of the past due to these silly processes, like the Trek only store.
Old 11-02-22, 04:03 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Koyote
Keep moving those goalposts and maybe you won't be sooo wrong. Oh, wait, nope -- still wrong. Specialized has plenty of 2x SRAM road bikes, Trek has a whole bunch, etc.
OK then, I stand corrected.
Old 11-02-22, 04:50 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
If they lose money buying retail it's their problem. Simply explaining to a customer that we have the option to source parts retail but will impact the price they pay is a standard process throughout the world. If the LBS's process is so arcane that they can only source from an approved vendor they are bound to fail eventually. Sadly our LBS's are becoming a thing of the past due to these silly processes, like the Trek only store.
There are a lot of unknowns at play. I am in business, distributing commercial construction chemicals and I can tell you that the number of vendors is shrinking and it is becoming harder to get credit with some vendors. Things have changed. In fact, the company I used to work for, BASF spun off their construction chemicals business and it has gone through one company and just was acquired by another, which happened to be its largest competitor. In some realms there is becoming a serious lack of choice.

But like I said, we don't know enough to judge one way or the other.
Old 11-02-22, 04:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
OK then, I stand corrected.
This is the Internet! You’re never supposed to admit to a mistake on the Internet. I salute you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-02-22, 05:07 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

This is the Internet! You’re never supposed to admit to a mistake on the Internet. I salute you.
At ease!
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-02-22, 05:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Hyphenated is ok with me.

BTW, sometimes in these threads, replies to quotes don't always go to who they are intended. At least, for me.

Don't want to have an argument, too tired from cycling today.
Just kidding with you about the argument. . As far as my original comment, Koyote pitched the softball of drug companies and I am going after that one every time. The lack of insulin has made one of my nieces pretty damn sick.

BTW, if you check the thread, my only criticism of you was that you were being too hard on yourself.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-02-22 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-02-22, 06:11 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
The post (by wheelreason ) that you quoted was a non-sequitur response to another post. It wasn't even on-topic. He also refuses to accept that selling an item for more than its marginal cost (or COGS) adds profit -- which is kindergarten arithmetic.

Other than all that, great catch!
Still LMAO. Can we finger paint after my nap?...
Old 11-03-22, 07:22 AM
bblair

It never really occurred to me to consider parts availability when buying a new bike, but maybe it's time.

I am probably the only guy ever to sell a BMW to buy a Honda. After 10 years, maintenance costs where through the roof. And even small items like windshield wipers were dealer-only. Anyone can fix my Honda.

Even though I love my bike, we're always looking ahead, right? Time to go back to Campy or SRAM? Or should I diversify my holdings and buy one of each?
Old 11-03-22, 10:48 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

It never really occurred to me to consider parts availability when buying a new bike, but maybe it's time.

I am probably the only guy ever to sell a BMW to buy a Honda. After 10 years, maintenance costs where through the roof. And even small items like windshield wipers were dealer-only. Anyone can fix my Honda.

Even though I love my bike, we're always looking ahead, right? Time to go back to Campy or SRAM? Or should I diversify my holdings and buy one of each?
Not sure where you are going with this post. Are you considering changing drivetrains?

Campy has somewhat of a cult following, but it requires more proprietary parts. SRAM has really moved up in the world with mechanical road drivetrains, but I have read about problems with cheap pieces breaking off battery holders on their eTap sets.
Old 11-03-22, 12:12 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I'd say it's time. My most recent bike purchase was hesitant because of how many proprietary parts it has, but there was almost nothing else available so I went for it. I'm aware that the whole bike will be useless if I break the "D-fuse" seatpost, and very few are available on the market. The asymetrical Shimano cranks also bug me because they have some special shape to them that would look horrible with chainrings from almost any other model or brand. Bring me back to the day when a seatpost just needed the right diameter and chainrings just needed the right BCD.
Old 11-03-22, 04:32 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Wasn't that the premise of the Specialized Aethos?
Old 11-04-22, 07:39 AM
bblair

Not sure where you are going with this post. Are you considering changing drivetrains?

Campy has somewhat of a cult following, but it requires more proprietary parts. SRAM has really moved up in the world with mechanical road drivetrains, but I have read about problems with cheap pieces breaking off battery holders on their eTap sets.
Not going anywhere exactly. But wondering if next time I buy a bike (or car) if I need to consider availability of parts. For example, AFAIK Trek and Specialized only sell through their dealers now. Does that mean if I buy a Specialized I am locking into service at only their store? To carry the comparison further, 10 years ago I drove a BMW. Could only buy parts at a BMW dealer, and that included such mundane items as oil filters and windshield wipers. Some seatposts and handlebars/stems are proprietary designs. Bikes are simpler than cars, but something to think about. Maybe.

Oh yea...just thought of this: there is local shop with multiple locations, about a mile from my house. I walked in there to buy replacement Look cleats. "We only sell such and such brand."

This discussion is wandering....
Old 11-04-22, 08:17 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
You don't need to worry about parts availability. So many parts available from online retailers that if the LBS doesn't have it someone else will. And you are not locked into a Specialized store if you buy your bike there.
Old 11-04-22, 09:51 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Not going anywhere exactly. But wondering if next time I buy a bike (or car) if I need to consider availability of parts. For example, AFAIK Trek and Specialized only sell through their dealers now. Does that mean if I buy a Specialized I am locking into service at only their store? To carry the comparison further, 10 years ago I drove a BMW. Could only buy parts at a BMW dealer, and that included such mundane items as oil filters and windshield wipers. Some seatposts and handlebars/stems are proprietary designs. Bikes are simpler than cars, but something to think about. Maybe.

Oh yea...just thought of this: there is local shop with multiple locations, about a mile from my house. I walked in there to buy replacement Look cleats. "We only sell such and such brand."

This discussion is wandering....
Wandering, but still a worthwhile discussion.

First off, I would avoid bike brands with lots of proprietary parts such as stems and D shaped seatposts as I would want the freedom to swap those parts out if I want.

To be clear, both Trek and Specialized have been bullying their dealers to have at least a certain percentage of inventory in their brand or they will not be allowed to sell their brand. Trek has gone a step further to insist on 80% Trek inventory or Trek will cease all support for customers of that shop. What Trek really wants is shops that sell 100% Trek/Bontrager products. Trek has even been buying out independent shops and making them Trek stores.

Personally, it irks me that these brands are doing this. Are their profits not high enough? From my perspective, there are many other bike brands worthy of consideration such as:

Cannondale
Giant
Jamis
Scott
Felt
GT

.....and others. I would not get too focused on brand. Test ride bikes and buy what you like and what fits you best. Regarding fit, a good bike shop will put you and your new bike on their trainer, watch you pedal and make adjustments to dial in your fit just right. If they aren't willing to do that, walk away.

Regarding cars. Your experience reminds me of a friend who had a flat on her VW. She didn't have a lug wrench. Oh, no problem I thought since I have one. Whoooops! As it turns out, VW lug nuts are a smaller proprietary size, not a standard size. Time to call AAA!

Last edited by Lombard; 11-04-22 at 09:55 AM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-04-22, 12:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Personally, it irks me that these brands are doing this. Are their profits not high enough? From my perspective, there are many other bike brands worthy of consideration such as:

Cannondale
Giant
Jamis
Scott
Felt
GT
Giant is the brand I bought with the D shaped seatpost, and the Shimano cranks it comes with have a weird exterior shape that would look horrible with most other chainrings. Top that off with a junction box (mechanical to hydraulic) that takes up all the places you might want to mount something on the handlebar, and I have been rethinking my purchase. I bet aftermarket parts manufacturers are hating it too.
Old 11-04-22, 04:35 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Giant is the brand I bought with the D shaped seatpost, and the Shimano cranks it comes with have a weird exterior shape that would look horrible with most other chainrings. Top that off with a junction box (mechanical to hydraulic) that takes up all the places you might want to mount something on the handlebar, and I have been rethinking my purchase. I bet aftermarket parts manufacturers are hating it too.
Junction box? The only junction box I ever heard of is for Di2. Mechanical to hydraulic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.