Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheels for Dogma F

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wheels for Dogma F

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-22, 08:06 AM
rublow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Wheels for Dogma F

Hi All,

I am about to receive my Dogma F, but I still have not decided which wheels to go with. I am between Fulcrum SPEED 40 LITE and Zipp 303 Firecrest. They are almost the same on paper, so it is a choice between hook or hookless. It seems that hookless will stay in road cycling, as other solutions from MTB, therefore ZIPPs sound like a better choice. I am doing ultra (500km+), so I assume that apart from the other advantages, Zipp will be also more comfortable.
What do you think, am I missing something important?
Old 11-14-22, 09:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by rublow
What do you think, am I missing something important?
Yes. A wheelset.

They sell Dogma's without the wheels? Or is this just a frameset? If it is a complete bike, I can't imagine that the wheelset they put on it would be inappropriate for the tier level of other components it comes with.

I wouldn't spend so much on wheels that I couldn't buy another set just in case I guessed wrong or was swayed to the wrong choice by someone that can write convincingly.
Old 11-14-22, 09:44 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Don’t discount Boyd and Flo. I have Boyd 44s on my Marvel and ran the Flo 45s on my P3. Both are solid, well built wheels with great customer service.
Old 11-14-22, 10:16 AM
rublow

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Yes. A wheelset.

They sell Dogma's without the wheels? Or is this just a frameset? If it is a complete bike, I can't imagine that the wheelset they put on it would be inappropriate for the tier level of other components it comes with.

I wouldn't spend so much on wheels that I couldn't buy another set just in case I guessed wrong or was swayed to the wrong choice by someone that can write convincingly.
Thank you. As I want to go for Ultegra instead of Dura-Ace, I switched to custom-built, so a frameset + rest of the equipment. The dealer has Fulcrums on discount since another customer went for Lightweight and left Fulcrums in the settlement. The price difference is around 500$, not significant in the whole picture. though.

Originally Posted by thin_concrete
Don’t discount Boyd and Flo. I have Boyd 44s on my Marvel and ran the Flo 45s on my P3. Both are solid, well built wheels with great customer service.
Thank you, I haven't heard about these. Will check definitely.
Old 11-14-22, 02:12 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
All else being equal I would go for hooked rims. You are right that hookless will likely stay, but the main benefits are in manufacturing. Yes hookless may be very slightly lighter, but with a hooked rim you have the option of running tubed at higher pressure if you want. It wouldn't keep me from buying hookless wheels, but if the price is about the same I would go with hooked.
Likes For ratell:
Old 11-15-22, 04:10 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
The Zipp 303 Firecrest means you shouldn't run anything narrower than 28mm because of pressure limits of hookless (73 psi) just being too low for efficient use of 25mm tires. If that's your plan, it's a reasonable wheel. Fulcrum 40 Speed Lite, if it's the same thing as the Fulcrum 40 Speed, is frankly a tier above the Zipp 303s in terms of quality, the hubs and rims are both truly first rate, and you've got an undrilled rim bed which makes tubeless more bulletproof, imo. It'd be my pick with a Dogma F, which is a really nice frameset.
Old 11-16-22, 06:20 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Both are not deep enough for. Dogma F. If Zipp 454 NSW or 404.
Old 11-17-22, 01:01 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Enve Foundation 45s are great and good price too...
Old 11-17-22, 02:51 PM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Aesthetics? Ride? Do tell. Given the choices in the original post I would go with the 303s. I would worry about crosswinds with 4** Zipps.
Old 11-17-22, 04:42 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
Boyd? Never heard of them.
I'm lucky enough to live less than an hour away, and got a full tour of their new facility when I ordered my wheelset. It's impressive!

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-17-22, 05:15 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
What do you mean 'not deep enough for Dogma F'? The bike isn't the determining factor for rim depth, that's all about what the rider prefers.
Old 11-17-22, 06:00 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Boyd? Never heard of them.
I'm lucky enough to live less than an hour away, and got a full tour of their new facility when I ordered my wheelset. It's impressive!

Thats really cool. If I’m ever in SC again, I have to make it a point to go there. They have a great team!
Old 11-18-22, 06:24 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
What do you mean 'not deep enough for Dogma F'? The bike isn't the determining factor for rim depth, that's all about what the rider prefers.
Yea but if me I'd go deeper. To me it would look better.

Originally Posted by dmanders
Aesthetics? Ride? Do tell. Given the choices in the original post I would go with the 303s. I would worry about crosswinds with 4** Zipps.
I've not ridden the Zipps but my Aeolus Pro 51s are solid in the wind. No difference than the 25s that came on my Domane SL5. Way better then the Aeolus 5s I have. Now for weight maybe.