Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Magura Hydraulic Rim Brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Magura Hydraulic Rim Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-19, 12:00 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
They have a 5 year warranty for being leak-proof, as with anything that has a warranty, use, and would avoid doing anything to void it.

For maintenance, my experience has been totally different to this, I have HS-33's from 3 generations on different bikes, and have never had any issues with air bubbles/needing to bleed them, the only time I bled them was when shortening a hose, which you would probably have to do for any hose change/adjustment, and the process is very easy, for fluids, Royal Blood (Magura own fluid) would be preferable to use, other alternates include Shimano mineral oil, and Citroen LHM fluid
I know they have warranty, but I'm not going to send them back for something that I can fix in 20 minutes at home.

A friend of mine had this brakes on a trials bike and had a similar experience to mine.

You can use them with nearly every mineral brake fluid. They're known to work even with olive oil or water (not that I recommend it!). The fluid isn't going to heat up, so no problems with boiling. Though if you dare to use water (some trials riders did, since it seems it improved the feeling) , it may freeze on winter.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 11-28-19, 01:04 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Was thinking on mentioning water, as have heard the same for trials bikes, but you really need to know the limitations with that, and being a closed system, if you let it freeze, suspect it will damage the brakes, probably beyond repair.
Old 11-29-19, 07:47 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Do any of those manufacturers make pads to fit the Magura? They have a proprietary design that standard pads do not fit.
Kool Stop does,for sure. There are companies specializing in trials bikes that make pads with different compounds..pads that give full lock up,pads that modulate,pads for ground rims or unground,etc.
Old 11-29-19, 08:40 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn
Kool Stop does,for sure. There are companies specializing in trials bikes that make pads with different compounds..pads that give full lock up,pads that modulate,pads for ground rims or unground,etc.
The brakes that Magura makes for TT bikes are nothing like the ones we are discussing here. The HS series brakes have a specially designed pad that snaps Onto the piston with no added hardware.
Old 11-29-19, 02:50 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Was thinking on mentioning water, as have heard the same for trials bikes, but you really need to know the limitations with that, and being a closed system, if you let it freeze, suspect it will damage the brakes, probably beyond repair.
When you bleed them with water you have to take care not to use them in freezing temps, obviously. Moreover, they're more prone to leaks when filled with water. I suppose that happens because water is less viscous than oil and also may affect the seals.

Anyway, even oil filled, mine have leaked a couple of times on the lever without apparent reason. After cleaning the piston and cilinder on the lever they were back to normal (non leaking).

IMHO, they require more maintenance than a hydro disc (even if it's an Avid or a SRAM), but if you can't fit a disc, they're probably the best brakes available if weight is not a concern.
Old 11-29-19, 04:21 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
re using water, as an emergency I sort of understand, but as someone mentioned, you really dont want to use water as freezing issues will damage seals etc.
I once had a motorcycle used racing, and requirements were that anti-freeze/water mix was not allowed on track, as a leak would be very slippery and wouldnt evaporate, so those of us with water cooled bikes removed it and replaced with water.
Forget it and store the bike in an unheated garage, and voila, damaged head gasket. I was lucky and got away with only that , no cracked parts.
Old 11-30-19, 08:27 AM
mtbikerjohn 

I wasn't talking about Magura TT brakes.. The HS series brakes have been around for years and are still one of the go to brakes for trials. Companies have been making pads for them for as long. I have a set of HS33's on my Curtlo,running Kool Stop dual compound pads. I used to use these also: https://www.webcyclery.com/product/j...-pads-7819.htm
Old 11-30-19, 02:50 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn
I wasn't talking about Magura TT brakes.. The HS series brakes have been around for years and are still one of the go to brakes for trials. Companies have been making pads for them for as long. I have a set of HS33's on my Curtlo,running Kool Stop dual compound pads. I used to use these also: https://www.webcyclery.com/product/j...-pads-7819.htm
Ah, I equated trials with time trials, entirely different bikes and brakes. I have serviced the RT series on TT bikes, and they will take a regular garden variety pad.
The pads in your link do look like they fit the HS series. Good to know, thanks.
Old 11-22-22, 02:23 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Bumping an old thread.

I have a couple of questions (for the HS11 rim brakes, FWIW):

1. Is this Torx 25 screw used just to adjust the reach (short/long fingers) intially once and for all, or must it be tightened as the pads wear?

2. When replacing old pads, is an extra step needed not mentioned in the official video*? What to do when the new pads touch the rims, and won't let the wheel spin?

Thank you.

Old 11-22-22, 06:38 AM
Charles Lathe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
Does Magura make brake levers for their rim brakes that work with drop bars? Not STI type levers. Just simple brake levers.
Old 11-22-22, 07:41 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by Charles Lathe
Does Magura make brake levers for their rim brakes that work with drop bars? Not STI type levers. Just simple brake levers.
They did make bar end levers for TT bars to work with the RT series brakes but that line has been discontinued. I don’t recall Magura drop bar levers.
Old 11-22-22, 08:29 AM
Charles Lathe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
Thanks, Dan.
Old 11-22-22, 08:42 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
if you have a magura bike you want to convert to drops, there is this sort of drop bar option:

https://bikepacking.com/gear/surly-corner-bar-review/
Old 11-22-22, 09:03 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Magura made the ultra rare HS-66 & 77 levers for drop bars years ago..You might get lucky and find a pair on EBAY Europe...
Old 11-22-22, 10:44 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I would try using a set of TRP Hylex levers and do a little conversion. Not sure how well it would work but it is an option. People have done the "Shigura" conversions before. However make sure you have a stout rim to handle those rim crushers. I personally would rather run Paul Motolites nothing against Magura I have their brakes on two bikes and love them I just don't need that much stopping on a rim brake bike and if I did I would go disc brakes.
Likes For veganbikes: