Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Skoolin'

Old 10-30-22, 05:42 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Skoolin'

At QBP in Colorado ...U of Q bike repair institute, formerly Barnett. When I get home, I'm gonna have a LOT of work to do on my bikes.
Likes For velojym:
Old 10-30-22, 05:51 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 67 Posts
Looks like fun!

new career? Continuing education? Or just something you wanted to do for yourself?
Old 11-18-22, 01:28 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
Looks like fun!

new career? Continuing education? Or just something you wanted to do for yourself?

A little of all 3. At 52, I still haven't found my niche professionally, and the bike was so fun for me, that it countered my Dad's pounding in "If it's fun, it ain't WORK!" through my youth. I know better, sure, but it can be hard to break that kind of conditioning. I don't think I could stand all day every day in the same spot working on bikes anymore, but with my mix of experience, and a little training here and there, I'm sure I can find some way to keep the mortgage paid and have a bit of fun doing it.

The thing that comes to mind, for me, is a mobile bike repair business, with a side of coaching in "Proficient Cycling". The latter would be a 'catch up' course for those who learned to ride as kids, and need a little help getting back on without looking like a complete noob. I'd leave the race coaching to race coaches, and concentrate on road safety, brake/shifter operation, basic owner performed maintenance, etc.
Likes For velojym:
Old 11-18-22, 04:51 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
A little of all 3. At 52, I still haven't found my niche professionally, and the bike was so fun for me, that it countered my Dad's pounding in "If it's fun, it ain't WORK!" through my youth. I know better, sure, but it can be hard to break that kind of conditioning. I don't think I could stand all day every day in the same spot working on bikes anymore, but with my mix of experience, and a little training here and there, I'm sure I can find some way to keep the mortgage paid and have a bit of fun doing it.

The thing that comes to mind, for me, is a mobile bike repair business, with a side of coaching in "Proficient Cycling". The latter would be a 'catch up' course for those who learned to ride as kids, and need a little help getting back on without looking like a complete noob. I'd leave the race coaching to race coaches, and concentrate on road safety, brake/shifter operation, basic owner performed maintenance, etc.
I attended Barnett’s 18 1/2 years ago at age 50. I was the oldest in the class but not by a lot. John Barnett was still hands on at that time.
Well worth it to me.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 11-18-22, 05:30 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
The thing that comes to mind, for me, is a mobile bike repair business,
I've considered this, and while a great idea, it limits you to one customer at a time. To me it seems that a rescue ride and repair would be the best of both worlds.
Contract with a person(s) (wife?) for the rescue pickup and you stay at the shop and pay the bills.
If you're picking up roadies they are going to be thankful either way.
Old 11-18-22, 05:34 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Velojym, was the school run by former Bartlett employees or are they all QBP people now. I imagine that is the case at this point.
Old 11-20-22, 06:03 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I am a scheduled to take a 2 week class at United Bicycle Institute in October 23. I will be 72 then and no doubt the oldest student. I am not looking for another career, just some structured experience in working on all aspects of bikes. I think it will be worth it, but won’t know until I do it.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 11-20-22, 07:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
I've considered this, and while a great idea, it limits you to one customer at a time. To me it seems that a rescue ride and repair would be the best of both worlds.
Contract with a person(s) (wife?) for the rescue pickup and you stay at the shop and pay the bills.
If you're picking up roadies they are going to be thankful either way.
Not always so. When looking to expand one's customer list it can pay to service event rides and offer business place (as it is post C19...) visits. I've done event service quite a few times and one goes from being bored to totally overwhelmed way quickly. The few mobile guys I've talked to have suggested they couldn't survive on single customer visits. But we can dream. Andy (who would rather have his shop out of sight of the customer)
Old 11-27-22, 12:11 AM
velojym

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Velojym, was the school run by former Bartlett employees or are they all QBP people now. I imagine that is the case at this point.
Both. They've moved the operation to the new QBP building in Broomfield, and I think they're trying to stay true to BBI's method. Still using the DX for most of it as well.