Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Stands at Lidl starting Wednesday (3/10/2021)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-07-21, 11:14 PM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Forgot to bring a copy of the ad home to scan but; next week's Lidl ad, which goes into effect on Wednesday, has bike stands advertised for $39.99 each.

Edit: Ah, it's on their website.:
https://www.lidl.com/flyer?auto_loca...e_code=US01053

Last edited by game_player_s; 03-07-21 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Added weblink
Likes For game_player_s:
Old 03-08-21, 04:04 AM
BakinaRakija

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm going to pick one up right now, along with a 30€ set of tools, since I never had any specific bike repair tools apart from a square taper crank remover and chain separator, both of which have seen better days. Will post feedback after I give them a try.
Old 03-08-21, 04:17 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I've had one for 10 years. Buy it.

It's been flawless and there's nothing better at twice of what this costs.
Old 03-08-21, 03:31 PM
BakinaRakija

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bouth the stand and a 30€ tool kit, both seem to be great for the price, the stand is quite heavy duty, the clamp is plastic but decent, no complaints.
Old 03-08-21, 05:06 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I bought one of those stands at Aldi, Lidl's sister store, a couple of years ago. It had been priced at $29.99, but somehow, the store manager ended up giving it to me for $14. Although the quadripod base is a bit awkward and tripped me a few times while I was testing it out, the rack itself was pretty sturdy for the price. My bike is a tank, so it wasn't ideal for it; however, it held a 20" BMX perfectly well. I already have a good repair stand, so I gave this one to my neighbor. They make really good gifts if you don't tell people how little you paid for them!
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 03-08-21, 05:13 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
My experience with those:

Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 03-09-21, 09:50 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 740 Posts
^^^^Great video. Thanks
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-09-21, 12:36 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
The linked ad for Lidl also lists foam spoke reflectors for a sensible price, nearly as low as normal for EU.
Old 03-10-21, 08:44 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
^^^^Great video. Thanks
Thanks.

I'm not so sure it's great (especially compared to the videos like Park Tools make), but I think it is at least informative... educational.

Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 03-10-21, 09:08 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
Thanks.
I'm not so sure it's great (especially compared to the videos like Park Tools make), but I think it is at least informative... educational.
It's an informed, honest review which is not the sales pitch you get from the manufacturer. The Pixies would agree.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-10-21, 01:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
I bought one of these stands from Aldi a few years ago, so I wouldn't have to haul my 40# city bike down to the basement or haul my 80# Park stand up to the garage for routine repairs. I agree with @Bike Gremlin's assessment of the stand. It's affordable and handy for simple repairs, and stores compactly. I also like his use of inner tube sections on the clamp; I've found that the plastic pieces on the clamp tend to fall off, and the inner tube section would prevent that from happening. I intend to add those to my Aldi stand.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-12-21, 12:48 PM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I bought one of those stands at Aldi, Lidl's sister store, a couple of years ago. It had been priced at $29.99, but somehow, the store manager ended up giving it to me for $14. Although the quadripod base is a bit awkward and tripped me a few times while I was testing it out, the rack itself was pretty sturdy for the price. My bike is a tank, so it wasn't ideal for it; however, it held a 20" BMX perfectly well. I already have a good repair stand, so I gave this one to my neighbor. They make really good gifts if you don't tell people how little you paid for them!
Aldi begins to markdown the prices of their "Special Buy" merchandise two week after the advertised sale week for the product with the prices knocked down incremental percentages each week thereafter. I too got a spare stand for around $15 back in 2017 as a back-up to the one I paid the full $29.99 for the year before that.

One thing worth noting about the bike stands Aldi offered back in 2016 and 2017 (the years prior to Lidl debuting in the U.S.A.) are that they were slightly different from the models both grocery chains (Aldi and Lidl) have offered in the years since. The old stands have five legs, and all the stands since have had only four legs. Doubtless this was a cost cutting measure by the manufacturer, but they raised the price $10 which is kinda of backwards in my opinion. Still, I'm really happy to see they're still offering stands at such a great price as it encourages more people to actually care for their bicycles. We have far to much "disposable" mentality in society today, so anytime a product that encourages maintenance and repair is available at a super reasonable price in a mainstream retail store it gives me a tiny inkling of hope for mankind.
Old 06-11-22, 01:46 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
LIDL Saturday June 18th, 2022 & Sunday June 19th, 2022 ONLY **** bicycle repair stand $39.99 WHILE SUPPLIES LAST (No.398653)

also LIDL Sat 6/18 & Sun 6/19 ONLY (while supplies last)::
bike helmet $16.99 (No.374334)
bicycle dog basket $24.99 (No.398682)
also bike water bottle , and bike cell phone mount, assorted styles.....$4.99 each

******THIS WAS IN THE NEXT WEEK's instore Paper Ad that I grabbed while exiting LIDL's today.******
THIS-IS-LIDL is their customer care telephone number or (844)747-5435
www.lidl.com/contact-us
-----that info might perhaps assist some of you who may not have a LIDL store in your town, but you may be able to determine from them, that perhaps there is a LIDL store in the town where your children, grandchildren, or other relatives/friends live or are vacationing in, or just passing thru.... etc.
*****NOTE THAT THE LIDL's ad SPECIFICALLY STATED "unbelievable weekend deals Sat 6/18th & Sun 6/19th ONLY while supplies last********
Old 06-11-22, 07:13 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
?-- the video shows the seat tube being clamped--I have always clamped the seat post when using a stand. Always thought clamping a part of the frame was not a good idea. Have I been wrong in my thinking?
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-11-22, 08:19 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by freeranger
?-- the video shows the seat tube being clamped--I have always clamped the seat post when using a stand. Always thought clamping a part of the frame was not a good idea. Have I been wrong in my thinking?
I'd say that using the seatpost (especially if it's replaceable - some are odd-shaped and very "exotic") is the safest way to do it.

Clamping on the seat tube poses two risks:
- Super-shiny paint might get some marks (I use rubber covers on the stand, but it's best to be on the safe side).
- Super-light frames could get their tube damaged by the clamp.

The bike in the video is not at risk of any of those problems.
As is the case with most not-superlight steel and aluminium frames - I've never had a clamp damage tubes (but I do use a seatpost to clamp the superlight frames - even keeping a set of old, degreased, various-sized ones, to use just for that).

It's also worth noting that most modern frames have more seatpost exposed, since they don't have a horizontal top tube. This makes it convenient to use the seatpost for clamping, compared to many vintage frames.
Old 06-11-22, 03:06 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
I had this stand for a few years and a number of refurbished bikes. I have since replaced it, but this is what I remember:
  • You tend to trip over the feet of the stand quite often.
  • The covers for the clamp do fall off. Cutting a tube around it did help.
  • The bolts are cheap and will strip. This happened with 2 that came with the stand at the legs (2 because I swapped the upper one to the legs). I replaced those bolts and all was OK
  • When clamping the seat post, the front end tends to slowly sink down, like how the bike shows in the video.
Overall, it was a OK sand and got the job done. I ended up replacing it with a Park I found used. I do miss how compact this stand was stored, compared to my older Park, but the Park doesn't suffer from any of the above.
Likes For katsup: