Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear hub area squeak only when pedalling backwards

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-15-22, 05:03 PM
road292

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

When I pedal normally, rear hub area sounds normal.

But... when I pedal backwards, I hear a squeaking noise from the rear hub/cassette area. Completely repeatable, on and off the bike. Bottom bracket area is not the source of the squeak -- it's definitely from the hub/cassette area.

Bike is ~10 years old with probably 15K miles on it, and these are the original (albeit sealed) hubs. The cassette and rear derailleur jockey wheels I changed last winter, so those are relatively new.

Thoughts?
Old 08-15-22, 06:16 PM
MoreCarbs

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The wheel hub and its bearings won't be rotating if the bike isn't moving, so I'd suspect the noise is originating from your freehub/freewheel or its interface with the wheel hub or cassette.

Maybe take off the back wheel and see if you can recreate the noise by spinning the freehub/freewheel.
Old 08-16-22, 08:48 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by road292

But... when I pedal backwards, I hear a squeaking noise from the rear hub/cassette area. Completely repeatable, on and off the bike. Bottom bracket area is not the source of the squeak -- it's definitely from the hub/cassette area.

Bike is ~10 years old with probably 15K miles on it, and these are the original (albeit sealed) hubs. The cassette and rear derailleur jockey wheels I changed last winter, so those are relatively new.

Thoughts?
How about providing some information about your bike? It is pretty hard to diagnose anything without knowing what you have
Old 08-16-22, 03:21 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Bicycles are intended to be pedaled forward. If it does that OK I would advise leaving well enough alone. Never Fix A Running Piece.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-16-22, 04:36 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by road292

Thoughts?
First thought is that you could provide at least a little information, like the brand and model of the wheel. For example, if it is a MAVIC wheel, this is a well-known issue and is fixed by lubing the cheesy plastic bearing interface. This is obviously an issue with the freehub. Presumably you get the noise when you just coast as well?
Old 08-16-22, 06:40 PM
road292

Sorry -- should have provided some more info. Bike is a 2011 or 2012 Trek 2.3 with Shimano 105 10-speed (5700 series) components. The rear wheel is the original Bontrager <something-or-other> (forgot the exact model), with the original hub, rim, and spokes. As I noted, I did replace the cassette, with a Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 12-30, but I did this in early 2021 and the drivetrain has not made this squeaking noise until just a week or two ago.
Old 08-16-22, 06:42 PM
road292

Originally Posted by MoreCarbs
The wheel hub and its bearings won't be rotating if the bike isn't moving, so I'd suspect the noise is originating from your freehub/freewheel or its interface with the wheel hub or cassette.

Maybe take off the back wheel and see if you can recreate the noise by spinning the freehub/freewheel.
Good suggestion, I'll give this a try over the weekend.
Old 08-16-22, 06:44 PM
road292

Oh, and no, I don't get the noise when I coast. I specifically have to pedal backwards to hear the noise. The chain is running smoothly, not skipping.
Old 08-16-22, 07:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
If you haven't lubed the chain lately, do so. That might be the source of the squeak.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-16-22, 10:35 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
If you haven't lubed the chain lately, do so. That might be the source of the squeak.

Easy.
Don't pedal backwards
Likes For frogman:
Old 08-17-22, 06:41 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Clean and lubricate the pulleys on your rear derailleur