Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I waited to post about this until the driver was found.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 09-13-22, 04:12 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts

Long story short, a local cyclist and father of 10 was hit and killed on 27AUG. He was in the bike lane on a road I frequently ride myself. It didn't take police long to find the offending vehicle (which had been abandoned), but it was only until today that we received word the driver was found and charged. Her actions were a trifecta of heinousness: 1) high on Percocet, 2) texting and looking down when she hit Charles, and 3) she tried to cover up what she did.

https://www.kshb.com/news/crime/wisc...d-father-of-10

Charles' family lives only a few streets away from me. If there is any silver lining, a GoFundMe was established for his wife and children, and so far it's raised over $200k.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 09-13-22, 04:18 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
So sad and senseless.
Old 09-14-22, 12:35 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
...the driver was found and charged..
Great! I'm sure she's the very last distracted substance abusing motorist out there. So, back out on the road ya go! Nothing to worry about.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 09-14-22, 02:00 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
The sad thing is that you don't have to be high on Percocet to run over someone on a bike because you were texting. But I'm sure that contributed to her poor decision making. Hope they throw the book at her.
Old 09-14-22, 02:02 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I'm going with probation and time served.

RIP cyclist.
Old 09-14-22, 06:46 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
I live in WI and am frequently amazed and infuriated to read news articles about someone getting arrested for their (wait for it).. 12, 13, or 14th OWI (operating while intoxicated). And they STILL get a comparative slap on the hand, usually a year in jail and their license stays suspended/revoked. Why you ask? Because the Wisconsin Tavern League pays an obscene amount of money into legislative election campaigns. I wish I could be surprised that the driver is from Wisconsin but sadly I'm not.
Likes For sam21fire:
Old 09-15-22, 09:06 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I see this as a trend that the driver is normally not charged if he stays at the scene and victims are either pedestrians or cyclists.

The only time drivers are charged are
1) hit-and-run;
2) DUI or suspended or no licence;
3) already wanted by the police;
4) the victim is in a car or motor vehicle.

In the case of this story, it's hit-and-run, DUI and no licence.
Old 09-17-22, 09:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
There should be a law that if you are on your cell phone, and hit someone, the fine is doubled.
Old 09-17-22, 09:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Actually I would support a law that says cell phone would shut down if moving faster than 10 mph.
Old 09-17-22, 09:40 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
There should be a law that if you are on your cell phone, and hit someone, the fine is doubled.
Unfortunately, in many states, it's not illegal to be on a cellphone while driving, even if it's not hands free. If you hit someone, you don't even get ticketed for being on the phone.

Actually I would support a law that says cell phone would shut down if moving faster than 10 mph.
What would little Johnny and Susie do in the back seat of the SUV on that long family road trip without their phones? Many phones are BT linked to the auto's audio system for hands free use and can be set up for voice activated dialing. That could be useful should someone ever find themselves in a situation where they were being followed, or someone was road raging them, and they needed to call police. Stopping or slowing below 10MPH in such an instance wouldn't be too advisable.
It's a good idea, and if it could somehow be technologically feasible for the phone to detect (a) it's location in the car, and (b) if it was not being used in a hands free manner, then such a law would be great.
Old 09-17-22, 10:39 AM
Daniel4

I wouldn't doubt that it's already possible for cell phones to already be able to detect who the driver is. I also would not doubt that the hesitancy is political.

Any politician who invokes this law would lose the next election.

Also, as long as this solution is not implemented, all the onus is on the driver who becomes involved in a collision. But if this solution were in place, then cell phone manufactures would have to take some responsibility if a collision were to occur because the detection failed to stop the driver from using the cell phone.
Old 09-17-22, 02:48 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Unfortunately, in many states, it's not illegal to be on a cellphone while driving, even if it's not hands free. If you hit someone, you don't even get ticketed for being on the phone.
Lawmakers want to yack on their phones behind the wheel too.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 09-17-22, 04:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,346 Posts
\I'm not sure that doubling the fine is enough. Maybe the fine should be something like $0.50 per pound of the car (per the registration docs). Also, suspending driver's licenses doesn't seem to work much. Possibly judges taking away the offending cell phone for a period might hurt more.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-17-22, 07:17 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
OMG. FB lives! As far back as 8 or 10 years ago I once had a GPS that had voice control. Voice Command mode didn't work all that well so I would be tempted to just try and use it conventionally. Nothing doing. If you were even in stop and go traffic it wouldn't take any input from the screen. Most phones know that you are driving and throw up a defeatable 'driving mode'. That is more than enough. If you defeat the 'driving mode' feature of your smartphone and are then implicated in a fatal accident, that should be that! It would only take a few permanent license suspensions to get the word out that texting and driving are fatal to your operators privileges. As I understand it, being a cyclist in Western Europe is much safer than in the U.S. mainly because there is zero tolerance there for killing a cyclist. Even if the cyclist were somehow at fault, you don't get to blame them and go on with your life like nothing happened. They don't jail you forever but you won't ever (legally) drive again. Makes the drivers pay double the usual amount of attention when they spot a cyclist.
Old 09-17-22, 08:22 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Today there was a memorial ride held for Charlie. Donations were collected to further assist his family. Approximately 500 cyclists showed up to the event.

Recap of the ride:
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 09-21-22, 08:40 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I see this as a trend that the driver is normally not charged if he stays at the scene and victims are either pedestrians or cyclists.

1) hit-and-run;

Sadly, that is often the case, when the driver stays at the scene... as the driver is then the only witness and can testify "they served/stepped right out in front of me, there was nothing I could do..." and that is readily accepted.
Old 09-21-22, 08:43 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
That's gonna really make "voice by turn" google maps driving quite difficult. Perhaps drivers can just hold paper maps in their laps, eh?
Old 09-21-22, 01:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts

1) hit-and-run;

In case you are not aware, "hit-and run" is (in at least most states) a crime in and of itself. You can hit a cyclist, pedestrian, or whatever and be 100% not at fault and still be charged with a crime for leaving the scene.
Old 09-22-22, 08:34 AM
AmandaKY

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you fir sharing this information.
Old 09-23-22, 02:58 PM
Gear_Admiral 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In case you are not aware, "hit-and run" is (in at least most states) a crime in and of itself. You can hit a cyclist, pedestrian, or whatever and be 100% not at fault and still be charged with a crime for leaving the scene.
> You can ... still be charged with a crime ....

Exactly. You *can* be, but there's no guarantee. You can provide video evidence and have witnesses, but if no one died and you (the victim) did not have your car damaged, the police may just tell you pound sand. I've heard about too many stories to trust that committing a crime leads to arrest. If you commit a crime, the police may arrest you, or not. If it's very cloudy, then it may rain, or not.
Old 10-15-22, 09:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Great! I'm sure she's the very last distracted substance abusing motorist out there. So, back out on the road ya go! Nothing to worry about.
so inappropriate.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-17-22, 04:42 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
So tragic, and happens far too often where the driver flees the scene thinking she can get away with killing someone. What despicable person, after hitting someone with a car, would leave them there to die? Distracted driving is going to be the death of all cyclists.

While riding home the other day I happen to glance over a passing vehicle along a winding road. The woman driver had one hand on the wheel and the other holding a phone. I yelled at her to get the f**k off her phone. She started to slow down to pull over, but thought better of it. Can't tell you what I might have said or done if she had stopped, but I'm sure it would have ruined both our days. I reported to incident in our Road Watch program.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 10-18-22, 07:55 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by mcours2006
So tragic, and happens far too often where the driver flees the scene thinking she can get away with killing someone. What despicable person, after hitting someone with a car, would leave them there to die? Distracted driving is going to be the death of all cyclists.

While riding home the other day I happen to glance over a passing vehicle along a winding road. The woman driver had one hand on the wheel and the other holding a phone. I yelled at her to get the f**k off her phone. She started to slow down to pull over, but thought better of it. Can't tell you what I might have said or done if she had stopped, but I'm sure it would have ruined both our days. I reported to incident in our Road Watch program.
What is the Road Watch Program? Is it available for Torontonians (North York, Scarborough, etc) to report parking in bike lanes and other types of bad driving? I have saved a few clips in my bike cameras so they may be useful after all.
Old 10-18-22, 03:35 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
What is the Road Watch Program? Is it available for Torontonians (North York, Scarborough, etc) to report parking in bike lanes and other types of bad driving? I have saved a few clips in my bike cameras so they may be useful after all.
https://onlinereporting.yrp.ca/RoadWatch.html

I've offered video clips and pics as well, but they've never contacted me for them.