Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tour report: 1989 Koga Miyata in France

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-17-22, 05:27 PM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts

My partner and I spent 3 weeks of May touring through France. Our route would take us 1000mi through the eastern Loire Valley, south to Burgundy, along the river to Lyon, into Auvergne and over a volcano before concluding along the Canal du Garonne in Toulouse. While her bike is off-topic, I rode my 1989 Koga Miyata Randonneur Extra. Upon return we dropped straight into a summer of randonneuring, so I didn’t have time to do a write up right away, but I do now!

Instead of mailing our bike boxes to the end, we decided to fly into our destination, leave our boxes there, and take the train to our start in Blois.

Took it easy the first couple days, with day trips and picnics at Cheverne and Chambord

The tour began properly with a stop for the Victory Day parade in Orleans, followed by a lovely campsite at a fishing pond.

The next morning we hopped a fence at a sports field, fetched water, rode over the Briate Aquaduct and on to Châtilon-sur-Loire

Also past this awesome castle. France has a lot of awesome castles, but it's rare that our route goes right past one.

The first few days were properly hot, windy, and a bit flat. Eager to climb a bit, and hungry for lunch, we rode up to Sancerre for the view and the famed white wine

Touring is all about flexbility to us. We like having the bikes, and tent, and making it up as we go. So we ditched the castles and headed into hill countr

As we rode from Diou to Montchanin, a drizzle turned to a down pour we took cover in a ramada with a number of other cyclists. My partner, who speaks enough french, deduced that most were on an annual 100k ride. As the rain slowed, their team car arrived with tables, snacks and wine, all of which were shared graciously.
​​​​​​​
Old 10-17-22, 05:28 PM
fliplap

Then it was on to Burgundy for a few days. It really was properly hot going over this bridge

But riding through this very long, cold, tunnel was a glorious relief. Weird lighting and all!

Rolling unloaded around the hills of southern Burgundy was a nice change, though truth be told, this bike is much nicer loaded.<unloaded>

We’d end each day by the pool, with a bottle of local Beaujolais.

From there, the Voir Bleue follows the river to Lyon. I can’t even express how terrible the surface is. Clay over very very old round cobbles. Basically unrideable.

Lyon is a fun city, but it’s definitely a city. After walking around for a day, and popping past Le Cyclo Touriste, the oldest cycle touring club in France, we were ready to get moving.

After battling through the traffic choked cities that make up what I guess you’d call the suburbs of Lyon, we finally got into the country

This was probably my favorite part of the trip: Auvergne. Very few people, very old villages, lots of climbing, and great scenery.

and oh look, a quad tandem on the side of the road. Doesn’t look like it gets much use.

That night we’d camp with a view of Château de Chavaniac aka Chateau Lafayette. The next morning we rode over, but it was far too early to be open. Fortunately the grounds keeper was already there, and opened the gates for us to have a private walk around.

Last edited by fliplap; 10-17-22 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-17-22, 05:28 PM
fliplap

The next day we’d meet up with a route aptly named La Grande Traversée du Volcan. For the next couple days it was all villages built into volcanic cliffs

Culiminating with a climb up to Puy Mary

and descending the other side of the Col du Pas de Peyrol

The landscape turned positively lush after that!

Towering over us was the 13th century village of Najac. Heck of a climb to get up there, but worth it

And you can’t argue with the views along the Aveyron a bit further on

After that it was another day from Montauban, along the Canal du Garonne to our conclusion in Toulouse

Last edited by fliplap; 10-17-22 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-17-22, 06:02 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts
Fantastic writeup & beautiful pictures man
Old 10-17-22, 07:22 PM
llj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bikes, story and pictures. I'd love to go on a tour like this with somebody someday, of course I have to FIND somebody first...
Old 10-18-22, 05:44 AM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Incredible!
Old 10-18-22, 07:37 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Beautiful!

Old 10-18-22, 07:46 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Drooling!

Looks like you went with a front loaded bike, much as the French did BITD. How was the handling?
Old 10-18-22, 05:53 PM
fliplap

Originally Posted by gugie
Drooling!

Looks like you went with a front loaded bike, much as the French did BITD. How was the handling?
I quite like the front loaded handling on that bike. It tracks straight, doesn't shimmy, and the weight on the front smooths out bumpy roads.
Old 10-18-22, 06:47 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 756 Posts
Green with envy!
Old 10-18-22, 09:22 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Wonderful... So glad you had what appears to have been a marvelous time and thank you for sharing!

-Gregory
Old 10-19-22, 07:07 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Reminds me of a tour I did solo in the early 90's, cut short (at least the cycling part...) when my bike was stolen in Toulouse. Always dreamed of another tour in France.

Can I ask what kind of panniers those are?
Old 10-19-22, 08:06 AM
BertoBerg 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '09 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 98 Posts
More info on the bike if you have the time! Thanks
Old 10-19-22, 11:02 AM
fliplap

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Can I ask what kind of panniers those are?
I made those last year. I could stand to remake them, but I feel like that every time I make a bag, so I try not to give into it too often.

Originally Posted by BertoBerg
More info on the bike if you have the time! Thanks
There's a thread about the bike here https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...eur-extra.html
Likes For fliplap:
Old 10-19-22, 01:14 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by fliplap
I made those last year. I could stand to remake them, but I feel like that every time I make a bag, so I try not to give into it too often.
Wow, cool!