Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your GUGIFICAZIONE! bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-25-22, 05:04 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts

I am not sure how many are out there but gugie has been fairly productive. I am thoroughly enjoying mine.
Please give us pics from Before, if you have them During, and After you finished your build.
Also please list what you had done.
Here is my Witcomb I purchased from nlerner who sent it to "The Atelier" For gugie to do his best.
From the for sale thread

At the Atelier...

Trial build in the States

Pieces and parts read to ship to Cambodia

Almost finished

I had gugie 1, re-rake the fork for lowtrail, 2, build front and rear racks, 3, braze on studs, rack mounts, and under top tube brake housing stops, 4, rebuild the rear brake bridge to a fender brace and mess with the bottom bracket fender attachment, 5, braze in water bottle bosses on the seat tube. I Think I also had him double check the brazing of the DT shifter bosses.
Old 10-25-22, 08:47 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Here's mine - entrusted to the master about 4 years ago.

Before...

Just back from Portland

Finished (mostly) I am the slowest light putter-onner on the planet.

Here's a link to my Flickr album that shows more of the build process.
Old 10-25-22, 09:30 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro

Here's mine - entrusted to the master about 4 years ago...
For some reason my brain read 'molester' in place of your use of the word 'master'

Here is my submission; before:

After. Currently the Casati hangs in Atelier II with the torch-molester himself, a zero bike patiently awaiting my return:

Modifications to mine included closing up the holes for both internal brake and gear cables, adding offset top tube brake cable guides, a second pair of bottle bosses, a pair of Campagnolo gear cable guides to the top of the BB shell, and a diver's bell cable stop on the chainstay. The new cable routing really transformed this bike; I never liked the mushy feel of the gearing the one time I built it up and tested it in the original guise. Anyway, I'm ecstatic with the result - particularly because it resulted in the bike finally being ridden - and ridden hard, for lots and lots of miles - after sitting dormant for nearly a decade. Win/win

Since it has an efficient and extremely inexpensive finish (therefore less painful in case of damage), the Casati is designated for any kind of ride with surfaces like this:

Perhaps he might be nice enough to share a pic of it as it is today, hanging from the rafters with a few bare frames for peg-mates.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 10-26-22 at 12:46 AM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 10-29-22, 01:12 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
What, only three of us have taken the Gugie Challenge? That can't be right.

Perhaps the man himself will share one or two of his own reworked carriages. I seriously believed this thread would be longer than 4 posts...

DD
Old 10-29-22, 05:22 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2923 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,488 Posts
Great looking bikes.
@bwilli88 that great with the rack brazeons. Do you have a pic of the BB bridge fender attachment? I’m a bit surprised you didn’t opt for a third bottle boss set under the DT.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-29-22, 06:10 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Here’s the 1979 Miyata 912, of which the famed Torch Master of Beaverton only had the front fork since the initial plan was just low-rider mounts.

A Velo-Cult inspiration extended that request to:
- Re-raked fork adding 8mm for reduced trail that still handles great, but prefers the mass of the bag.
- Brazed center-pull posts. That new Dia-Compe G front brake feels just fine combined with the dual pivot in back.
- Additional heavy duty front rack mounts just above the dropouts (it already had the typical eyelets on the dropouts) as well as mid-fork mounts
- Custom front bag rack attached to posts and mid-fork mounts
- Modular low rider pannier rack pieces that fit inside panniers, handy if we ever fly with bikes again.
- Adaptation of the excellent Gugificazione decaleur with integral cable housing stop. Note the tubes extending upwards and clamp bolt direction.
- Intruduced me to Dave Cain’s wonderful custom bags. Mark and Dave coordinated dimensions so that it all fits together.

It works fabulously, proven during the very windy conditions of the Willamette Valley Tour of 2019, as well as frequent use as the dedicated fender and utility bike. Here’s a link to the SmuMug album devoted to this bike:

https://dfrost.smugmug.com/Bicycles/...otos/i-Czsw2W4

Before, as the 3rd major upgrade to this bike that I bought new (originally Shimano 600 Arabesque) back then.

After, the 4th Generation:

Some details:

And of course:
[/

Last edited by Dfrost; 11-01-22 at 01:05 AM.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 10-29-22, 07:24 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 176 Posts
My Moto-Gugie

Here is my circa 1972 Motobecane Grand Record Gugieficazione (aka Moto-Gugie). Lots of Gugie's mods, torch work, and front rack with my wrench work and artistic stink.

Old 10-30-22, 11:12 AM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 140 Posts
Not great photos, but custom decaleur and rear rack for the EBISU. It transported me last week on the @nlerner PNW tour from Seattle to Bellingham! Note the flat front, which occurred within a couple miles of our final destination, tire held just enough air to reach the destination then gave up all remaining air by morning. Gugie is known around these parts as the finest at his craft in the SouthWest quadrant of Portland in his price range...did I get that right???

Last edited by VRJAKE; 10-30-22 at 11:23 AM.
Likes For VRJAKE:
Old 10-30-22, 07:04 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Great looking bikes.
@bwilli88 that great with the rack brazeons. Do you have a pic of the BB bridge fender attachment? I’m a bit surprised you didn’t opt for a third bottle boss set under the DT.
I am not sure this was in place or a gugie mod. But I am debating putting on a double leg kick stand.

Riding here in Cambodia the roads are covered in dust 1/2 or the year and hardened dust mud the other. Many of the roads I ride are also cow paths and dog duty droppings. Having the bottles where they are I always have some type of covering on the spouts. Having another bottle bottle would be messy. 2 Klean Kanteen bottles are great for a normal ride but I also have a VO extra large 32/40oz bottle cage that I can swap in for longer rides.

Last edited by bwilli88; 10-30-22 at 08:15 PM.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 10-30-22, 08:55 PM
Jacob_R_59 

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Hors Categorie, 1990s Lennard Zinn, 1985 Guerciotti Jet, 1975 Peugeot PX-10,

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 30 Posts
My Gugificazione Modded 1985 64cm Trek 620 Randonneur Project!

Mark brazed on a set of Rene Herse brake mounts for Mafac center pulls. The Mafacs I sent Mark were too short, so Mark and I swapped calipers

My frame has a Trek 520 fork. Both originally were spec'd with 27" wheels, plus one of the fork's cantilever bosses was bent. I sent along my Velo Orange fenders and Nitto Randonneur rack so that Mark could fashion mounts. Notice that Mark also added wiring loops for a generator hub. We talked about my frame plans in detail before I sent him the frame from Renton, Washington.

Mark redid the rear triangle to make room for wide (32mm with fenders) tires and he also added direct mounts for my Velo Orange aluminum fenders.

RiddleofSteel sold me his 64cm 1985 Trek 620 touring frame in 2019. The fork was missing, so Dan included a Trek 520 fork. Both frames were originally spec'd for 27" wheels and one of the fork cantilever mounts was bent. Here's what Mark undertook:

1) Direct mount of Mafac CP brakes with Rene Herse mounts.
2) Direct mount of Velo-Orange 700c fenders and Nitto Randonneur rack.
3) Modification of fork and rear triangle to provide clearance for 32mm tires under the V-O fenders.
4) Wire routing on fork for future generator hub.

I had originally wanted Mark to convert the frame and fork to 650b, but it was too expensive at the time. Naturally I've spent enough money in the 3 years since Mark undertook my frame mods to have long since paid for the work...

The frame's languished for more than 3 years while I distracted myself with other projects. Next week I'm sending it to Forever Powdercoat for a metallic powder coat. Then it goes on the road, and will FINALLY earn its own Gugificazione decal! Sorry, but these are the only pictures of the frame that I have. Of course Mark sent them to me.

Mark does great, thoughtful work.

Last edited by Jacob_R_59; 10-30-22 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Missing text
Old 10-30-22, 11:03 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
I am not sure this was in place or a gugie mod. But I am debating putting on a double leg kick stand.
That's a kickstand plate. Your chainstay bridge wasn't in a good position to hold a fender, so I killed two birds with one stone.
Old 10-31-22, 11:39 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm honored to have a thread on this subject! I really enjoy working with all of you.
@Jacob_R_59, I should have contacted you earlier. Our mini-tour of Seattle and norther regions had a couple of opportunities to meet up and ride with you. Good to see you posting here at the dive bar (vs CR, which I call the wine bar).