Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Bike Shoes

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 10-27-22, 10:03 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

Looking for leads to good quality light weight bike shoes that will be worn with flat pedals and toe clips - other than sneakers - also posted this query in the Mtn forum but thought posting here would be better since I'm not looking for a heavy duty rugged shoe - thanks in advance for your thoughts !!
Old 10-27-22, 11:03 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Low profile mt. bike shoes sometimes come with the cover over the slot for the clipless cleats. The cheaper shoes tend to have more of a lugged sole, which would be heavier. You usually want some stiffness that supports the foot. Lots of companies - Lake-Shimano-Specialized-Sidi-5-10 - Pearl Izumi. Maybe head to a local bike shops and try stuff on.
Old 10-27-22, 12:25 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Low profile mt. bike shoes sometimes come with the cover over the slot for the clipless cleats. The cheaper shoes tend to have more of a lugged sole, which would be heavier. You usually want some stiffness that supports the foot. Lots of companies - Lake-Shimano-Specialized-Sidi-5-10 - Pearl Izumi. Maybe head to a local bike shops and try stuff on.
Thanks - you have to sift through all the options - coming on the market now are shoes made for the new flat mtn bike pedals that have a bunch of semi-sharp embedded spikes allowing riders to break loose quick and still allow for a degree of power pedaling - they come with soft rubber soles and many come from China , not necessarily bad but I just returned a pair where the size seemed to be mis-labeled - it'll take a bit of time maybe but thanks again for your thoughts .
Old 10-27-22, 07:01 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts

lightweight with decent sole stiffness - not heavy duty / rugged

options include Shimano CT71 (or current equivalent) and Pearl Izumi X-Alp (and similar models)

some of the 'free ride' shoes have fairly (or very) flexible soles - so be aware
Old 10-31-22, 08:02 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
If you're going to ride plain flat pedals, (which I also have on my 2 hybrids), you might reconsider athletic/sneaker/tennis shoes, or if not those, then maybe some lightweight,low cut hiking shoe. Those will provide pretty much anything a cycling-specific shoe will (with flat pedals), but will probably have a cheaper and wider selection (unless money is no concern,and you just gotta have something that has SIDI or Pearl Izumi on the side of it).
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 11-03-22, 01:26 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I ride almost exclusively in Keen Newport sandals (on flat pedals). The Keens have relatively rigid soles for walking shoes (especially good to support the wide footbed), their treadpattern has relatively good texture (which grips flat pedal grip pegs/nubs in dry and wet), and they're durable. I'm pretty hard on shoes, but the Keens typically last me for 8-10 years before needing replaced...compared with only a year or two for most "athletic" type shoes. So, despite having a near $150 entry price, they're relatively affordable, figuring how long they last and keeping in mind that they can serve two purposes (walking and cycling).
Old 11-11-22, 12:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
these shoes are super comfortable. nice wide toe box. I would happily use them with my mini, aka 1/2 clips or full toe clips, w/ clip covers. nice smooth bottom, but enough texture so as not to be a hazard walking. I actually added the cleats & & use them w/ cleated pedals. but w/o the cleats I think they make fine bike shoes, if you don't mind the black color
giro chambre

Old 11-15-22, 07:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
well don't use these. they are road paver shoes. we had some work done yesterday & one of the workers left them ...
Likes For rumrunn6: