Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adapters for lower part of a rear rack

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-15-22, 04:34 PM
dmwill

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Steel Classic, 1993 Burley Samba Mixte tandem, 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 2003 Co-Motion Speedster tandem, 2021 Trek Verve 3, 2021 Priority Current

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

My Topeak Super Tourist rack has these angle pieces built in to the bottom of the legs. Do they exist as a separate part? I've checked problemsolvers and google but "rack adpters" just get me to changing the top connector. I'm trying to adapt a modern Dahon rack with 150mm spacing down there to an older Dahon bike with 120mm spacing down there. I'd rather not bend the tubing if I don't have to.
Old 11-15-22, 05:21 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
It looks like your options would be limited to replacing the adjustable legs, but I don't think that will solve your spacing problem: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...eplacement-Kit

You may need a couple of spacers and slightly longer bolts to fill the gap. I think you should be able to find what you need at the hardware store for a few dollars.
Old 11-15-22, 06:14 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Looks like either of these will do the job, if i understand correctly.

https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FDBFA

https://crossobags.com/product/rack-...r-disc-brakes/
Old 11-15-22, 06:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,427 Times in 1,342 Posts
This is an inherently bad (terrible) design. At best it's a kludge to get around disc brake calipers on frames designed by people who don't think.

To understand my issue, pick up something heavy and hold it close to your chest for a while. Rest and repeat, holding it in front of you at arm's length.

Since you're going narrower, and there's no disc brake in the way, I suggest you gently bend both legs in so they run a straight line from rack to frame. Then attach as you normally would.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-15-22 at 06:40 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-15-22, 06:59 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
or just get another rack meant for bikes with rim brakes
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 11-15-22, 08:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Get a Tubus rack and you will be happy, it will last nearly forever good support and made of steel so you can bend it as needed and I haven't had disc brake issues with their stuff.
Old 11-15-22, 09:53 PM
dmwill

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Steel Classic, 1993 Burley Samba Mixte tandem, 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 2003 Co-Motion Speedster tandem, 2021 Trek Verve 3, 2021 Priority Current

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Thank you for all the suggestions. The jandd and crossobags links may do the trick, as might a stroll through the local Ace hardware with my bike and rack to talk the to clever old guys there. I have a friend with a metalworking shop that might be able to bend them for me too. I did look for a suitable rack for this 33 year old 16" bike but have not found any NOS or even used without a whole nuther bike attached so trying to adapt modern versions which apparently have longer axles than my old timer.
Old 11-16-22, 08:42 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Those stand-off pieces are not available separately to my knowledge -- they're welded to the rack legs.

The advantage they have over just adding spacers and a long bolt is those stand-offs are hollow inside, with a bolt head flange set deep within. So you don't use a longer bolt -- you use a standard length M5 bolt to fasten them to the eyelet on the frame. This eliminates putting a weight load on a long bolt, as would be the case if you spaced out straight legs with tubular spacers. With this design, you're at least using the friction interface between the stand-off and the eyelet as the weight-bearing interface.

It is, of course, not as strong as if the rack legs were straight without that stand-off. But it's better than several alternative methods.

I agree with bending straight legs to fit if that's a possibility.