Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody have a current source for Gyes saddles?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-22, 12:12 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts

Probably the wrong place to post this, but most of the leather saddle users I know of post here, so I thought I'd take a shot.

Years ago, there used to be a webstore (crowcycleco) that sold leather saddles from the Taiwanese company Gyes that makes (or at least made) saddles for a lot of different people under a lot of different store brand names (velo orange, cardiff, etc.). A decade or more ago, I bought a couple of Gyes saddles from them. One was a Brooks Swallow (or was it Swift?) knockoff with a cutout in the middle. It was fine and I rode it for quite a few miles over a number of years. Then, I had kids and my wife started complaining about me disappearing for hours at a time while she was stuck with a crying baby, so I switched to mainly indoor riding. Riding indoors on a trainer with no motion from the bike tends to amplify any fit or comfort issues, and that made itself known with this saddle, so I went back to the Selle San Marco Regals that I'd been using before and have been using ever since.

I recently built up a new bike, and was going through my stash of saddles to look for something to use until I got around to finding a dark brown Regal (or Regale). I happened across the other Gyes saddle I'd gotten, which was still in its bag. Antique brown leather, racing shape with what little "wings" it has laced in and copper rivets and rails, it fit the look I was going for fairly well, so I figured "what the heck, why not give it a try" and mounted it on my bike. Hopped on for a ride and promptly forgot it was there. Just totally disappeared. It was only a month later that I thought back and realized, "wow, this is the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden and it lets me do the longest trainer rides I've ever done with no discomfort." So comfortable I hadn't even thought about how comfortable it was. Just a complete non-issue.

That got me to thinking that I'd love to figure out what model it is and get more of them to put on all my bikes. It just works for me. The problem is, CrowCycleCo no longer has a functional website and I can't seem to find anyone else that sells a full-ish line of Gyes saddles (more than just one or 2), so that I can find this particular style again.

Does anyone know of someone who sells them? Heck, Gyes may no longer be in business as far as I know, which would be a bummer.

The saddle I'm looking to find more of mounted on the bike.
Old 11-22-22, 12:21 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
The company has contact info on its website. It's worth a shot to contact the company and ask about US distributors and/or the specific saddle you want. Gyes
Old 11-22-22, 12:32 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
The company has contact info on its website. It's worth a shot to contact the company and ask about US distributors and/or the specific saddle you want. Gyes
Could just be a work computer clearance issue, but I can't get that link to work on any of my browsers on my work pc. Will try from home.
Old 11-22-22, 12:44 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Could just be a work computer clearance issue, but I can't get that link to work on any of my browsers on my work pc. Will try from home.
Oh, that's weird -- the link fails for me, too, but when I do a google search for "gyes saddles" and click the first result that is clearly the company website, I can get through, including to that contact page.
Old 11-22-22, 01:07 PM
himespau 

I did google them as well, and, as you suggested, just emailed them. Hopefully, they will have a new distibutor.
Old 11-22-22, 01:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Copy the link, paste it in your browser, and remove the "s" from the "https."

Check both eBay and the Spa Cycles website for their own rebranded Gyes saddles. If you buy one from Spa, you might want to also look at their collection of well priced bags to help offset shipping.
Likes For SurferRosa: