Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cervelo Wino (warranty in name only)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cervelo Wino (warranty in name only)

Old 01-29-22, 09:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I wonder if there is a difference in their view of the damage and yours. The phrases "good will gesture" and "legitimate warranty claim" seem to indicate some disconnect. Maybe post Cervelo's responses?
This.

It seems like the OP is looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 01-30-22, 08:21 AM
meditationride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey everyone, good discussion and opinions. it's good to reassess through the process.
regarding speculation that I'm looking for a freebie; it would not be of sound decision to attempt that while there is no stock of anything available. cycling is a part therapeutic activity for me and this is a hassle and waste of time. Best warranty is one that's not needed. It developed a raised vertical crack in the inside aspect of the fork within two seasons of riding. Point I was trying to make is that these companies need to operate at a higher standard and be accountable to their warranty policy vs skirting away with a non-equivalent replacement and attempting to justify their actions by positioning themselves as good will.
Take my experience as you will. This was purchase as a complete bike and was never taken apart. If I were to make a wild speculation, I would suspect the cause is the incorrect torquing of bolts where the disc brake calipers attach to the fork. The crack overlaps that area very neatly.
I've moved on with the help of some suggestions here, will get it replaced, sell second hand, and look for something with higher reliability.
Old 01-30-22, 08:23 AM
meditationride

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
Where did the fork crack? Up by the stem, or closer to the dropouts?
close to the dropouts but sort of lower 1/3 of the fork, on the inside surface. right where the bolts for disc brake calipers attachment screws into.
Old 01-30-22, 08:29 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by meditationride
close to the dropouts but sort of lower 1/3 of the fork, on the inside surface. right where the bolts for disc brake calipers attachment screws into.
I would accept the good faith offer and move on.
Old 01-30-22, 09:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3635 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
OP, if you feel you've made your point, use the red button and have a mod lock this for you. Adios.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-30-22, 10:44 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
If I were to make a wild speculation, I would suspect the cause is the incorrect torquing of bolts where the disc brake calipers attach to the fork. The crack overlaps that area very neatly.
What did Cervelo say about it?
Old 01-30-22, 01:28 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
In this whole story, what boggles my mind is that Cervelo would not keep a stock of at least a couple of forks around? Even if the frame has been discontinued, surely, you can keep a few spare forks and (in case it is proprietary) seatposts in stock for exactly this reason.

Perhaps what others have posited is true, and the fork is just the same as the other model C2 fork. Or interchangeable at least.

I will say as others have said: It sounds like Cervelo thinks this is damage due to misuse that would not be covered under warranty. I understand you'd be upset if it wasn't and treat your stuff carefully. But if I were you, take the free replacement fork and consider yourself fortunate you don't have to scrap the whole frame (or pay for a costly fork repair out of pocket). Lucky they have a compatible fork at least. Hopefully your bike is a neutral color and they can just give you a black or white fork or something. Good luck!
Old 01-30-22, 01:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
In this whole story, what boggles my mind is that Cervelo would not keep a stock of at least a couple of forks around? Even if the frame has been discontinued, surely, you can keep a few spare forks and (in case it is proprietary) seatposts in stock for exactly this reason.
That be a pretty big warehouse. And quite possibly, if they did keep two as you suggested, they probably used them long ago for some other claim.

Even just sitting in a warehouse that's a big cost for any part or component for every day it just sits there.
Old 01-31-22, 03:01 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
That be a pretty big warehouse. And quite possibly, if they did keep two as you suggested, they probably used them long ago for some other claim.

Even just sitting in a warehouse that's a big cost for any part or component for every day it just sits there.
Really?

Let's say they keep stock for 10 years after a bike has been sold. As reference, they currently have 4 types of road bike in their lineup: R5, S5, Caledonia-5 and Caledonia. Even if they keep 10 forks in stock for every model, for every model year over a 10 year period. Over 10 years that would be only 4 models * 10 forks * 10 years = 400 forks. A bike fork is not that big. I could keep 400 forks in my home basement easily. They could easily do this for every market where their bikes are sold, every country even.

Question is, is it in their interest to do this? Perhaps they'd rather sell you a new bike with some "crash replacement discount" rather than be able to replace a fork or seatpost for someone.
Old 01-31-22, 10:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Let's say they keep stock for 10 years after a bike has been sold. As reference, they currently have 4 types of road bike in their lineup: R5, S5, Caledonia-5 and Caledonia. Even if they keep 10 forks in stock for every model, for every model year over a 10 year period. Over 10 years that would be only 4 models * 10 forks * 10 years = 400 forks. A bike fork is not that big. I could keep 400 forks in my home basement easily. They could easily do this for every market where their bikes are sold, every country even.
You're conveniently overlooking gravel, CX, TT, and track models and all the different colors. Your 400 forks is actually thousands of forks.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-31-22, 11:06 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

If they did keep two, they could just breed a new one when needed.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 01-31-22, 02:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Late to the party, but am I the only one who thinks of a Cervelo that has a drinking problem when reading the title??
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-31-22, 07:09 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Late to the party, but am I the only one who thinks of a Cervelo that has a drinking problem when reading the title??
no, first thing I thought
Old 02-01-22, 06:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
hey everyone, good discussion and opinions. it's good to reassess through the process.
regarding speculation that I'm looking for a freebie; it would not be of sound decision to attempt that while there is no stock of anything available. cycling is a part therapeutic activity for me and this is a hassle and waste of time. Best warranty is one that's not needed. It developed a raised vertical crack in the inside aspect of the fork within two seasons of riding. Point I was trying to make is that these companies need to operate at a higher standard and be accountable to their warranty policy vs skirting away with a non-equivalent replacement and attempting to justify their actions by positioning themselves as good will.
Take my experience as you will. This was purchase as a complete bike and was never taken apart. If I were to make a wild speculation, I would suspect the cause is the incorrect torquing of bolts where the disc brake calipers attach to the fork. The crack overlaps that area very neatly.
I've moved on with the help of some suggestions here, will get it replaced, sell second hand, and look for something with higher reliability.

From what I have read here it sounds like they were quite accountable and offered you a replacement fork. If your fork is cracked and they offered a replacement that sounds like you got what you want! I know if that had happened to me I would have been happy. The reason they said good will rather than yeah it is a warranty is probably because the fork damage is not one of manufacturer error but user error and they were nice enough to say hey we are going to help you out. A lot of manufacturers are doing that because they actually care about their customers, they could have said not covered at all we can't send you anything, but they didn't and that is pretty nice of them. Regarding the difference in fork who knows and who cares, these days if you can get a working part you are lucky, who knows if it is an actual downgrade and without the info from Cervelo it is tough to tell. A different serial number means absolutely nothing other than it is a different serial number. If it were the same serial number I would be worried. If the part number had changed I wouldn't worry too much as they do change over time on some stuff and as long as it is similar enough and compatible it is a win win. They cannot stock every part for every bike forever to fulfill warranty but if they can get customers satisfied that is a good thing.

If the fork cracked after 2 seasons of riding and you believe it was improperly torqued bolts than I would not consider that warranty. If it cracked after a month of owning it then yeah maybe but who knows how you are riding and caring for the bike if at all. Bikes are not build it and your done, you still have to do upkeep and maintenance and especially with brake bolts but really any bolts you should check torque and regrease or anti seize or thread lock as needed.

In terms of those who are worried about this fork, I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure everything is properly installed with all the needed greases and compounds and torqued to spec and check it once and while. If you are a bigger rider or harder on equipment do it more often and if not at least do it once a year which you would want to do with any bike. It is a good thing to tune up a bike every year and replace any worn out parts and if you are a heavy sweater replace that bar tape even if it is black because it is not about looks but about safety the tape soaks the corrosive sweat and you cannot see the bars underneath but for sure the corrosive sweat isn't helping things.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-02-22, 07:19 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I'm going to have to agree that Cervelo met their warranty obligations with the offer of a replacement fork.

Yeah, it may be a lower spec replacement, but it's also a replacement on a discontinued product. And for forks, it's pretty common that a replacement will be the wrong color. Also, as noted by others, even if the fork is different, the difference is most likely in weight.
Likes For topflightpro: