Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Anyone using a Foretrex 601?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-08-18, 03:35 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts

Key features for me are ruggedness, 40+hrs autonomy, on AAA replaceable batteries, Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity with speed/cadence support. The screen is large enough to make a viable navigation device.

I understand that it doesn't support maps and that navigation follows a breadcrumbs trail.

The idea would be to design routes on a smartphone (or computer). and to upload to the foretrex for navigation.

If you use it, please share your experience
Old 05-27-22, 09:56 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Yes, I know this is a reply to a four year old post

I've had a Foretrex 601 for about 2 1/2 years now and use it extensively for both hiking and cycling. My use is unsophisticated. It's basically a logging device that lets me keep a record of where we've traveled and associated metrics. My cycling partner makes photo books of our tours and I turn the gpx files into maps that show our tour progress over time. Of course, any GPS unit can do that but the long battery life, use of either commonly available AAA batteries (either disposable or rechargeable), small size and light weight makes the Foretrex 601 well suited to my undemanding needs. I have a drawer full of GPS units and prior to the 601, used a Garmin Oregon 550. The larger touchscreen of the 550 had some advantages but it required handlebar mounting and it is not as convenient as the wrist mount of the 601.

As I have something of a love-hate relationship with all electronic devices while hiking and cycling (actually, all the time), the simplicity of the 601 is appealing though the dark side of fancier modern units like the Edge series is pulling me closer to pulling the trigger on a purchase. :-) Hope this belated information benefits someone.

Last edited by honcho; 05-27-22 at 10:10 AM. Reason: minor grammar correction.
Likes For honcho:
Old 03-11-24, 09:44 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Yes, I know this is another reply to a 6 year old post.

I recently augmented my GPS arsenal with a Fortrex 801, which is Garmin's replacement for the Foretrex 601. It is a bit larger than the 601, with improved battery life but still using two replaceable AAA cells. The screen is sharper and easier to read, along with quicker response from the unit. I'm still using it in a rudimentary way but it is an big improvement over the previous generation. Highly recommended.