Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

On-bike dynamo???

Old 01-19-22, 01:06 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
On-bike dynamo???

How well do on-bike dynamos work? I'll be doing more, longer bikepacking trips this year and am intrigued by the prospects of charging the batteries on my iPhone, Wahoo and lights while riding.
Old 01-19-22, 02:16 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The friends I have that use them like them a lot, especially those who splurged for the Sondelux hub. Note that most all dynamos require a converter to charge other devices.

Last edited by Rolla; 01-19-22 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-19-22, 05:06 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
They work quite well for commuting.

For charging other devices while bikepacking, I suspect they'd work well while going downhill. Note that most don't start putting out significant current below 6-10 miles per hour. How fast do you climb gnarly single-track?
Old 01-19-22, 05:59 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
When it comes to questions like this Alee is the source.

CyclingAboujt Dynamo Lights
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 01-19-22, 10:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I love my two dynamos they are super awesome. Having lights all the time powered by your movement is freakin cool and on my touring bike I do have a Sinewave Reactor but truth be told I haven't actually ridden that bike as much as I would like recently since I got the Sinewave working so I haven't used that as much but the lighting is awesome. If I had to spec again I would probably have gone with the Cinq Plug V with the integrated battery bank which makes more sense for modern devices but I could get the Sinewave at the time and it looks good and is well made for sure.

I would probably do a dynamo on most of my bikes if I didn't;t have so gosh darn many of them and some I don't really ride at night that often. Currently using a SON hub and a Shutter Precision (my first dynamo) and both are great but of course the SON is the top of the top so it is hard to beat.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-20-22, 12:05 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Don't expect too much. When you navigate with a phone, the dynamo stalls the drain of the phone's battery, but does not eliminate it. When the screen is off, yes, you charge it, but slowly. The dynamos are designed to provide 0.5A at 6V or 3W. With the 5V of USB this will transcribe onto 0.6A. A slow USB charger provides 0.5A and a fast one 2A. I.e., you have a slow charger with a single output at hand.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 01-20-22, 05:48 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
In the Touring subforum there is a write-up of the Pedalcell rim dynamo. As I have been looking for a better way to charge a device while riding this caught my eye. Seems the thing has very good output and very low drag. Certainly a lower cost option than building a wheel around a hub, plus higher output to boot. Something to consider.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 01-20-22, 06:47 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
https://pedalcell.com/collections/frontpage
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-21-22, 12:59 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
They work quite well for commuting.

For charging other devices while bikepacking, I suspect they'd work well while going downhill. Note that most don't start putting out significant current below 6-10 miles per hour. How fast do you climb gnarly single-track?
I'll make sure all my bikepacking trips are all downhill!