Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Investment opportunity on eBay mega collection

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Investment opportunity on eBay mega collection

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-22, 04:56 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Joking aside those are fine set of a gentleman's stable.
Not bad. Keep glossing on some nice enameled flattery and I just might give you the honor of buying them for $43k.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-19-22, 06:35 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
I suggest we do a go fund me for 50.00in order to send a member that is near the seller. We can then get a full report..... If we all gave a .01 then we could even manage to send several members and get a number of "biased" reports on the value of the lot.
JM2C's, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 04-19-22, 06:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Will the person we send have full access to pull every single bike down off the rack, photograph it, and take an inventory of all the components?

It should be able to be done in less than 10 hours. Might as well get some benefit for that $50.
Old 04-19-22, 07:01 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Will the person we send have full access to pull every single bike down off the rack, photograph it, and take an inventory of all the components?

It should be able to be done in less than 10 hours. Might as well get some benefit for that $50.
that if read correctly will cost $500.

from the advert-

To this end, I will allow individuals (two at a time maximum) to schedule an hour on my premises for the non refundable fee of $50.
Old 04-19-22, 07:06 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Grant Petersen?
Old 04-19-22, 09:52 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Originally Posted by repechage
that if read correctly will cost $500.

from the advert-

To this end, I will allow individuals (two at a time maximum) to schedule an hour on my premises for the non refundable fee of $50.
Ok, the fund should pay for food and lodging......(2) McDonalds kids meals for lunch and dinner and an (1) egg Mc Muffin and coffee for breakfast as well as and (1) night at the local "Y"...that should do it.
Fund fully recoverable, if no "drive" side pics are posted.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 04-19-22 at 09:55 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 04-20-22, 12:44 PM
repechage

That separate $50 viewing offer within a listing is an eBay rule violation no doubt. There would be no percentage for them, they are into maximizing profit.
Old 04-20-22, 12:47 PM
repechage

For the true entrepreneur

honda parts warehouse lot

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32515450485...3ABFBM7oPdhIlg
Old 04-20-22, 03:14 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
Collection preliminary inventory

The seller has posted an inventory of the collection as an update to the eBay listing.

Likes For cyclophilia:
Old 04-20-22, 04:36 PM
repechage

Going to be tough getting 50k.
if an entity like the Pro's Closet offered 30, take it.
there is a lot of work before profit would be realized.
eclectic focus, which is quite ok, but some brands like Serotta, good machines but too many in near same size. Think demand over time.
Old 04-20-22, 07:23 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Got to wonder if that break down above means most of the list is just frames. Some entries show component group. No group could mean just a frame.

The larger the pile and the faster he wants it moved, the bigger the discount. He would be wise to break it into ten bike lots instead. Otherwise, the pile if it does sell will go for about what the five or ten best are worth. To properly value such a large group, its going to take more like 20 hours or more. The way I overcome having to put so much time into it, I just look for a bigger discount instead.
Old 04-20-22, 09:59 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101

Got to wonder if that break down above means most of the list is just frames. Some entries show component group. No group could mean just a frame.
If the seller is truly serious about selling, they need to **** or get off the pot. Provide details prospective buyers can actually work with; wouldn't even take that long if they have access daily to the bikes. Heck, it only took me an hour to peruse the photos, take some notes, then publish an inventory of approximately 70 of the purported 100 bikes and frames here. How tough could it be to completely fill in the "blanks" on that list? It's almost as if the seller is being intentionally vague; anybody else getting that vibe?

For the money asked (that $50k is the opening bid) you'd think the effort would've been put in before the auction was ever uploaded. Heck, for a collection that size, you'd think they might already have an inventory of sorts!

Ah, but what do I know?

EDIT: Just noticed sizes are given haphazardly in either Imperial or metric measurements. Strange lack of consistency there.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 04-20-22 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Added additional observation
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 04-20-22, 10:13 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Ah, but what do I know?
How to spell Cinelli correctly?
​​​
Likes For P!N20:
Old 04-20-22, 10:57 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Way too many way too smallish for 50K
Old 04-20-22, 11:41 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
EDIT: Just noticed sizes are given haphazardly in either Imperial or metric measurements. Strange lack of consistency there. DD
Describing an English frame size in inches - the way they were actually measured when they were made - is what makes the most sense to me. Converting a 23" frame to centimeters gives an odd number 58.43. That makes me have to translate an odd number back to inches so I can understand what size it was actually made. And besides English frames typically measure center to top and that is different than some more modern frames measured center to center.

I see in this collection some of the best English names like Ephgrave and Hurlow and that makes me think this is a collector that went after the better builders. Many of the best models of English builders after WWII had fancy cut lugs. So it can make quite a difference which model of frame he bought from each builder. Some Condor frames were built by Bill Hurlow and would be much more interesting to me than a standard model. Another example is H.R. Morris that was known for cutting lugs so maybe his frame has fancy lugs and maybe not. That would have an influence on a buyer.

I see there is a Columbine in the collection. The brothers charged some of the highest prices for their more elaborate work so I would expect it to go for more money. I might also mention that his frames made in Europe after WWII until the 80's would have averaged him around $100 each. I paid $75 for my Hetchins in 1969 and $150 for a Hurlow in 1974. And Bill charged 10£ more than average.

Another example of wanting to know more would be the Carltons. If they were made before they were bought out by Raleigh, I'd want them a lot more.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 04-20-22 at 11:45 PM.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-21-22, 12:30 AM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclophilia
The seller has posted an inventory of the collection as an update to the eBay listing.
"This list is preliminary and is subject to revision. Furthermore, the list will be enhanced to include original/repaint information as well as any applicable provenance information."

I would certainly hope so. This "inventory" isn't even half-baked in its current form.
Likes For ctak:
Old 04-21-22, 01:12 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic

Describing an English frame size in inches - the way they were actually measured when they were made - is what makes the most sense to me. Converting a 23" frame to centimeters gives an odd number 58.43. That makes me have to translate an odd number back to inches so I can understand what size it was actually made. And besides English frames typically measure center to top and that is different than some more modern frames measured center to center.
I'd considered that might be the reason - I now recognize the pattern - but then again, for a seller not providing a whole lot of detail (or, should I say, letting details seep out slowly over the course of time), I found this particular detail kinda funny. I mean, the seller wants to sell the whole thing lock, stock, and barrel. If he converted everything to metric, it wouldn't really matter. After all, there's a variation in sizes across the board here. Save the prospective buyer from having to make extra effort; to me, it's the seller's job to make the sale, and that would make things clearer to a prospective buyer. Dunno, just my opinion.

As far as your notations about higher-end English frames, I did spend a couple years in the mid-90s over there, and in fact picked up the vintage bike disease while in the UK; even had Condor build me a custom frame. I agree with your assessments, which makes it all the more strange the seller hasn't provided any representative photos of those particular frames and/or bikes.

Admittedly I have no interest in acquiring this collection, but I recognize that if the seller wants big money they gotta show what they've got to those whom may be willing to take a punt. Tho I'll admit I'd like to see some pics of the other bikes he's listed which didn't show up in the photos, and as a result also didn't wind up on my "inventory" post.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 04-21-22 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-21-22, 02:23 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Buying The Whole Shebang!

I retired at the end of 2018 at 75. I received a settlement that would more than cover the listing plus all expenses involved.

At that time I would have seriously considered buying the collection as an investment IF:

It it were located much closer to the left coast - shipping and transportation costs, if I had a reasonable amount of time to inspect the collection to evaluate everything and there was a reasonable amount of time to remove everything.

A friend designs and sets up websites for commercial enterprises. He could have set up a site like the Pros Closet or other online classic bike sellers in a day or two. I think that I could have at least recouped my outlay in 2-3 years, maybe less especially if the bikes would have cost me ~$500 each.

That was 3 1/2 years ago. I have neither the desire or energy to take on such a project today. Somebody else may have the time and energy but the seller needs to be more user friendly towards potential buyers.

I mentioned above that an old friend passed away in January and his former girl friend is executor for his estate. He had quite an extensive bike collection of which 1/3 were antiques from the late 1800's to the early 1900's that only a special collector would be interested in. He had some rare high quality C&V bikes plus a lot of junk too.

I spoke with her on several occasions. She needed to liquidate everything: 2 properties, 5 vehicles, the bikes plus 2 other collections. I put her in touch with a SoCal collector/seller who is in a position to fly over to where the bikes are, lay a bunch of Uncle Bens on the table, rent a truck and cart everything off. I twice suggested that if someone offered her $15-$20k to take care of everything she should take the money and run... The collection cost her NOTHING and it would all be cash in her pocket.

The SoCal collector just contacted me and said that she wanted $75k based on what my friend had valued everything! His response to her was a polite crickets... She needs to get rid of the bikes so that she can sell the main property and return home to the Midwest. Her problem, not mine. GREED IS GLORIOUS

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 04-21-22 at 02:37 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 04-21-22, 06:56 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Another example of wanting to know more would be the Carltons. If they were made before they were bought out by Raleigh, I'd want them a lot more.
Both of the Internationals are described as path racers, which means they're almost certainly earlier frames from the 1950s with the fancy "International" lugs designed by Bill Hurlow. 'Tis actually my favorite frame but I have yet to get the opportunity to purchase one in a larger size like I need. At whatever size the frames can sell for between $500-1,500 depending on condition. A 1966 Flyer would be akin to the model sold in the US (or is the same) after the Raleigh purchase, and a few members around here have them and they're nice frames with the Hayden lugs, but not too special.

I'd love to see what lug patterns are on the Bill Hurlows as well - if they're Condor-esque fancy lugs of any kind the frames alone are worth a thousand apiece at least on today's market.

A 1953 Hetchins Vade Mecum with mostly non-original parts but in working order just sold for $995 on US eBay, but some frames/bikes can be much more expensive, so more details are necessary there to even begin estimating values...

The 1947 F.H. Grubb Perfection should be a real gem, and probably worth a couple thousand dollars if it's a full bike with original components in even decent condition.

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 04-21-22 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-21-22, 10:00 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
This update sheds a little light on the collection , unfortunately much more is needed to make someone seriously consider purchasing the entire lot and that will take some time. I'm not sure how this is going to play out , but I wish this person the best. I can tell by the list he is passionate about classic bikes and whatever situation put him in the position he is in is serious. One thing that this has done for me ( I'm pretty sure I'm not alone) is make me evaluate my own situation and keeping things simple for those who would be left with my humble collection of bikes. I have about a dozen or so , and nothing too high end so , as Chas said , take whatever $$ and have a good time. To me , it would be nice to know who ever got my bikes would enjoy them as much as I do ....and have long legs!!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-21-22, 11:31 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
"This list is preliminary and is subject to revision. Furthermore, the list will be enhanced to include original/repaint information as well as any applicable provenance information."

I would certainly hope so. This "inventory" isn't even half-baked in its current form.
Right?! How about indicating what is a frame versus what is a complete? Sheesh. That said, I need to stop bagging on this auction since there are obviously some difficulties causing the sale.
Old 04-21-22, 11:31 AM
repechage

@Kabuki12-
that's the issue, so so many are at the near same size. When you flood the market like this, the lot will sell at a big discount.
the time required for the market to absorb the vast majority will be quite long.

My view -tall guys are cheap, and short guys have no money.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-21-22, 12:19 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
@Kabuki12-
that's the issue, so so many are at the near same size. When you flood the market like this, the lot will sell at a big discount.
the time required for the market to absorb the vast majority will be quite long.
That is the truth. I think the sweet spot for C&V bikes is around 55-59cm. Those 50-52cm bikes will be very, very hard to unload. I'm 5'8" and I've had bikes from 49cm to 55cm. From my own buying and selling I notice that the smaller bikes are very slow to sell. There was a $650 52cm Serotta on our local market that failed to sell for a whole year. Maybe things would be different if more women get into C&V bikes.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-04-22, 07:28 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Well the listing has ended so I'm just waiting the market to be flooded with vintage bikes and components.
Old 05-05-22, 03:05 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
Does anyone know who purchased the bicycles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.