Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Please Stop Being So Cheap!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Please Stop Being So Cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-22, 06:47 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
I consider very high and very low selling prices to be outliers, the selling/buying will almost always follow some sort of a bell curve and be in the middle. Sometimes when folks are offering an opinion on a bike one may make a statement "I just bought one for XYZ", either a high or low number.

IMO, it boils down to 3 things....how wide of an audience does the seller want to include in the sale (Local vs. E.B) whether or not they are willing to breakdown, pack and ship and what the buyer is willing to pay and how long they are willing to wait.

The only way to test the market and the value of the bike as others have said is to put the higher valuation on the bike and see if it sells. if it does great, if it doesn't, then hold it, and wait for the "right" buyer .....or lower the price untill it sells. The market value at a given point in time.

I hope that the OP will report back to us with the selling price on the bike.

BTW ,high valuations can do the same dis-service to a new/uniformed seller, setting an expectation that might not be realizable.

FWIW, JMHF(free)O, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 06-27-22, 06:49 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,455 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
We an all agree $1800 for a Portage is hogwash and the only person who would spend that is a drunk. Again, can we close this thread already?
What's the big deal with someone paying a ton for a bike that they want, drunk or not?

And what's the big deal with keeping this thread open?

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-27-22, 07:16 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
To be fair, I did consider going back and editing my comment on the Raleigh post to make it clearer that my opinion was simply that, an opinion based on what I see bikes in my area being offered for but didn't get around to it. And I will admit that after looking at it a bit closer I would probably be willing to pay more than I had stated if I was looking for a bike and I can see where someone wanting this particular make and model paying even more. But I also asked the OP of that thread which side of the fence he was on, buyer or seller and they never replied. A buyer's offer and a sellers ask are usually two different numbers. If I had to guess by the photos, the OP of the thread was a potential buyer as I would hope a seller would take better photos (but maybe not).

But Killroy, you would also probably agree that the bike in the other thread was not on par with the eBay sale you cited. Although the eBay sale I suppose would help a flipper decide if it was worth the investment.

Old 06-27-22, 07:38 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I wish there was a free medical advice forum on Biekforums. The co-pays are killing me at the doctor's office.
I'm happy to offer some, if you quit being a pain in the ass.
Old 06-27-22, 07:49 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

^
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-27-22, 07:50 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I'm happy to offer some, if you quit being a pain in the ass.
Old 06-27-22, 08:00 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
What's the big deal with someone paying a ton for a bike that they want, drunk or not?

And what's the big deal with keeping this thread open?

Weak attempt to stir the pot from OP. A fool knows better than to take a rabbit's advice. If people don't agree with free valuations on a free forum they need to free their mind from expectations.

E: Also, it's not a big deal to buy any bike. It's a big deal to cry about the bad advice you're giving on a free forum.
Old 06-27-22, 08:04 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
I don’t even know what a Raleigh Portage is.
I didn’t even know Raleigh had canoes.
But this thread is great.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 06-27-22, 08:07 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Once you buy a bike, the price gets less relevant.
Unless you used the money that was better spent on a kidney.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 06-27-22, 08:09 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

A fool knows better than to take a rabbit's advice.
Hold it. What?
Completely lost.
But, also drunk, which is making this the best 10 minutes of my day.
So thank you.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 06-27-22, 08:12 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
I don’t even know what a Raleigh Portage is.
I didn’t even know Raleigh had canoes.
But this thread is great.
Yeah, pretty great, certainly entertaining. Never heard of the bike either and I wouldn't give a plug nickel for one. But I understand that is not a valuation. Many here don't.
Likes For iab:
Old 06-27-22, 08:15 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
adults can argue civilly?
I think that was in the 90’s.
Old 06-27-22, 08:16 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by iab
Yeah, pretty great, certainly entertaining. Never heard of the bike either and I wouldn't give a plug nickel for one. But I understand that is not a valuation. Many here don't.
A plug nickel. Now we’re talking.
Old 06-27-22, 08:23 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
OP makes a compelling case.

As a service to this community, I will post grossly inflated and unrealistic internets estimates, thereby perfectly offsetting the low ballers and allowing Enquiring minds to know exactly how large their income will be.
Old 06-27-22, 08:25 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by MaxKatt
OP makes a compelling case.

As a service to this community, I will post grossly inflated and unrealistic internets estimates, thereby perfectly offsetting the low ballers and allowing Enquiring minds to know exactly how large their income will be.
The abject sacrifice of your integrity will be in songs forever.
Old 06-27-22, 08:34 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
If you ask the crowd for their opinions, you will get what you asked for.
Old 06-27-22, 08:35 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
Hold it. What?
Completely lost.
But, also drunk, which is making this the best 10 minutes of my day.
So thank you.
That would fit in right here...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-27-22, 08:40 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Appraisals from previous threads on Raleigh Portage. I thought this was a bit fun.

Originally Posted by coolkat
I'd say around 300.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by plonz
I’m not feeling as rich as $300 on this one. Maybe if rust free and a 54-58 cm frame but not with top tube rust and really tall size. Thinking more like two bills max in this case.
Originally Posted by zukahn1
I would say take a second look and be a bit relaxed om buying this one. with rust everything perfect it's a $150-175 at the end of the day it's RBCA bike..
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Probably worth somewhere between $100 - $200. Have fun. Be good.
Originally Posted by nesteel
Top of the line factory vintage 650b touring bike. I feel the value estimates are low. (SAID IN RESPONSE TO ABOVE APPRAISALS) Nothing unusual about the wheels either, appear to be factory spec. Deal with the rust properly, toss it on Ebay for $600. You'll wait, but a buyer will come along who knows what it really is.
Originally Posted by thumpism
I think that one's for sale in SW Virginia for about $350, originally posted for $385
Portages just like this, and often in the 25 inch size (which this obviously is) often sell for around $1,000 on Ebay.
I'd personally buy this bicycle for several hundred dollars without a second thought, were I in the market for something like it just now! And I'm sure someday I will be..
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...they are noted by many as excellent touring bicycles. Values on good quality touring bikes like this are all over the map, and the Portage is only well known among aficionado sorts. But even without photos, if the paint and decals are good, and the tyres, brake blocks, etc don't need replacement, probably $3-400 (American) each where I live in Northern California (but not a quick sale at much over $300).
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I believe it would be collectable because there are few of them around and 650b bikes have a big cultish following but I don't think that collectability transfers in to a huge dollar value.
Originally Posted by Doohickie
... if it is in really good condition, maybe $200 isn't too far out of bed. If it's the bike you want, and you can afford it, and the guy won't budge, go for it.
Originally Posted by Mercian Rider
Bought it for $180. Complete, frame straight with no dents or cracks. Wheels true and even tension on spokes. Deore rear was replaced with Suntour, and bars are Cinelli. New tires. Otherwise original.
Old 06-27-22, 09:40 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Couldn't you buy a new 650b bike with 1800 though?
Old 06-27-22, 09:43 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Appraisals from previous threads on Raleigh Portage. I thought this was a bit fun.
Yeah, I personally only comment on appraisal threads for bicycles I actually watch the market for. Hence my finally bringing this up. I have seen and continue to see (witness last week's auction) Raleigh Portages sell for $1,000+. Someone here literally said they sold theirs for $1,000.

Is the fact that I like to point out that there's potential for some decent money from a bicycle that has a proven track record of selling for decent money somehow abhorrent?

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 06-27-22, 10:19 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,957 Posts
Yeah, I personally only comment on appraisal threads for bicycles I actually watch the market for. Hence my finally bringing this up. I have seen and continue to see (witness last week's auction) Raleigh Portages sell for $1,000+. Someone here literally said they sold theirs for $1,000.

Is the fact that I like to point out that there's potential for some decent money from a bicycle that has a proven track record of selling for decent money somehow abhorrent?

-Gregory
But honestly, couldn’t you have simply disagreed with the opinions in the “valuation” thread, and given a different perspective based on the EBay comps?

I am thinking that each of those appraisal threads have different opinions about values as well, right?

The OP could have seen the different ways that a value was determined as a springboard to their own thoughts on what they should sell or buy it for.

Did the OP definitively say they were looking to sell the Portage?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 06-27-22, 10:28 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
But honestly, couldn’t you have simply disagreed with the opinions in the “valuation” thread, and given a different perspective based on the EBay comps?

...The OP could have seen the different ways that a value was determined as a springboard to their own thoughts on what they should sell or buy it for.
That goes back to the initial point of the thread - I was asking people to consider more angles than their local markets or guesswork that leads to often only a number of very low estimates being presented in that sub-forum. Do a quick eBay search, take some time to offer a more well-rounded opinion if you expect your appraisal to be objective, as the OP would certainly hope for. The guy offering the eBay high-end sale prices for consideration (such as myself) apparently isn't always around to provide that often useful bit of information. Way too many threads in there only have the low end cited, without thought given to the potential buyer or seller's circumstances and how the opportunity to make more via wider avenues might in fact be of interest to them.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 06-27-22, 10:28 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

If people don't agree with free valuations on a free forum they need to free their mind from expectations.
"You are asking about freedom. The very essence of all enterprise, especially free enterprise, and freedom could be considered, and is often considered, you know, to be just another word for being free. Therefore, there will be no train to freedom. The train has already left the station. How can the music be free when the people of White Lake are enchained? Huh? If one song is not free, then all songs are not free. That is why we are going to free all the songs in White Lake."

- Elliot Teichberg
Old 06-27-22, 10:45 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Xiaoman1/Ben, How do you build a valid bell curve out of 3 sales in a year? (My guess is that you know the answer to that question....).

I can understand loving a grail bike, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but my quick review of ebay a moment ago says a buyer could have gotten a better bike for less money. The better bike might not actually be better for someone who wanted a Portage.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-27-22, 10:53 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
People in collectors markets across the internet know well enough that everything on eBay sells for higher prices than you’ll get elsewhere. The best we can do in something like the C&V appraisals forum is assume those asking about their bikes at least know that much. We can’t do all the work for them.

We would also be doing a disservice to continue influencing people that bikes like a Raleigh Portage should sell for $1800. That’s a disservice to everyone interested in purchasing these bikes. Both sides of the coin are equally important for any collectors hobby. Do we want to shoot oursleves in the foot by continuing to influence eBay markups?

The appraisals forum does a good job, imo, of appraising something for the C&V sales forum, offerup, and Craigslist. eBay is an outlier and it’s own beast entirely. And eBay users can simply look up old auctions for a valuation if they care to go that route.

In my opinion, as hobbyists who really care about this thing and are not looking to just totally milk it for money, it’s our job to offer fair prices for the community to keep this hobby accessible.

Last edited by polymorphself; 06-27-22 at 10:58 PM.
Likes For polymorphself:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.