Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help identifying a 1960s Italian road bike! Solve this mystery!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need help identifying a 1960s Italian road bike! Solve this mystery!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 05:47 PM
aceves 

Bikes: Lots, mostly Bianchi

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mrjav
Yeah, that's one of my favorite forums. If you're into Italian brands and read Italian, there are some treasures to be found there. I like where this conversation has led to. I was recently in Rimini and there were Vicini's EVERYWHERE. It's a huge brand in Emilia Romagna. One of the reasons I love the brand is that it was the first bike Marco Pantani had and at some point in the 80's they used my absolute favorite artist, Mario Martini, first to use a fade on a bike!

I'd also like to learn the meaning of the MB! Guess I have one more item to add to my search list now!
Thank you for that information, mrjav! It is great to find out the history of a marque and gain knowledge on specific bikes. I will enjoy restoring this bike with everything I have learned here on BF.

aceves
Old 09-06-18, 12:36 AM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by mrjav
Yeah, that's one of my favorite forums. If you're into Italian brands and read Italian, there are some treasures to be found there. I like where this conversation has led to. I was recently in Rimini and there were Vicini's EVERYWHERE. It's a huge brand in Emilia Romagna. One of the reasons I love the brand is that it was the first bike Marco Pantani had and at some point in the 80's they used my absolute favorite artist, Mario Martini, first to use a fade on a bike!

I'd also like to learn the meaning of the MB! Guess I have one more item to add to my search list now!

Thanks for that great info - I didn't know that Il Pirata started out on a Vicini.

Yet another reason to love BikeForums; learn something new every time I visit.
Old 09-11-18, 09:49 AM
mrjav
Girardenghista

Bikes: Tommasini SL, Ciöcc SL, Somec MS, Rossin Ghibli, many many more

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One from my archives... this from August 1987 La Bicicletta. It seems to me that the Martini painted frame above seems to have dotted the i's! Possible dating information there as we now have a few examples. I love trying to timeline these types of changes and love the experts on their chosen brand when they chip in about a very subtle change in a graphic or lug.

Old 04-30-19, 03:36 PM
aceves 

Quick update: So I have started the tear-down and restoration of my Vicini. It's going slow, but I'm enjoying the process. Here is a pic of the frame. I will start a build thread in a few days, so stay tuned. This is going to be a fun build!

aceves

Last edited by aceves; 04-30-19 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 06:09 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by aceves
Quick update: So I have started the tear-down and restoration of my Vicini. It's going slow, but I'm enjoying the process. Here is a pic of the frame. I will start a build thread in a few days, so stay tuned. This is going to be a fun build!

aceves

Is it possible to get an accurate weight of the bare frame and fork? That and the seat post diameter will be a good indicator of tubing quality.
Columbus would likely have a "dove" stamp on the steerer.
Old 05-02-19, 02:02 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 3,331 Times in 2,173 Posts

aceves

-----

Thanks very much for the update @aceves!

Shall look forward to following developments.

Minutiae question -

back in message nr. 2 member kroozer referred to the bottom bracket cable guides as Campagnolo.

find meself wondering if they may be Agrati. this firm did some which were nearly identical to the Campag and are unmarked. the Campag ones bear the Campag name.

one thing slightly odd about them is that the frame builder placed them a bit forward of where they are typically seen.

-----
Old 05-02-19, 02:58 PM
aceves 

Hi Hudson308,

I will try to weigh the frame and fork, although I don't have a proper scale (only our bathroom scale).

aceves
Old 05-02-19, 03:01 PM
aceves 

Hi juvela,

Thank you for the information! I will keep an eye out for the Campag name in the BB cable guides, although I suspect they might be Agrati, like you say. But the frame does have Campagnolo dropouts, front and rear.

aceves
Likes For aceves:
Old 05-02-19, 03:39 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
Minutiae question -

back in message nr. 2 member kroozer referred to the bottom bracket cable guides as Campagnolo.

find meself wondering if they may be Agrati. this firm did some which were nearly identical to the Campag and are unmarked. the Campag ones bear the Campag name.
We used unmarked cable guides interchangeably with Campagnolo guides at Trek. They were very similar to the Campagnolo ones, but stamped from slightly thinner steel:

Old 05-03-19, 04:16 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
UPDATE: I dated the bike to 1972!! Thanks to juvela and SJX426 for their information the locknuts. I went out this morning, took off the front wheel, removed the lock nut, and there it was: CAM. 72. One piece of the puzzle solved!

I don't think I saw where you show the rear derailleur to see if it has a date stamp, riveted pins versus tapered ones that are driven out. Also, a detail of the front derailleur - C-clips? If the hubs and the mechs point at 1972, you probably have original parts, and loads of beausage. Front derailleur looks like Record pre-CPSC. Are the shift levers Record or Grand Sport? Having the Gipiemme pedals, Nervar crank (even the non-swaged one), this bike is near-full monte, not full monte. Any ghosts of tubing stickers?

I would check the rear wheel age by looking at the locknut on the non-drive side. Locknuts can break from fatigue, and then they would probably be replaced by whatever is in the "box of locknuts." So 1972 is suggested, but now to check whether that is a unique indication or is it plausible based on the other dated items?

You have the frame stripped - are the BB and head tube joints pinned? How about the fork crown to steer tube?

I might also take this to Classic Rendezvous.
Old 05-03-19, 04:34 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
aceves, are you planning any refinishing, or to stabilize the finish? I have a similar decision to make on my 1952 Rudge.
Old 05-04-19, 01:46 PM
aceves 

Hi juvela,

Upon further research, the BB cable guides are indeed Campagnolo!! Take a look at the pics below, you can clearly see the Campag stamp on the front derailleur guide, and you can make out Brev Camp in the rusted portion of the rear derailleur guide. It is very exciting to find new details on my frame. Thank you all for your insightful guidance and support!!

aceves

Likes For aceves:
Old 05-04-19, 01:50 PM
aceves 

Hi Road Fan,

The plan is to strip the paint and refinish with a new color. I know originality is huge in C&V, but I plan to ride the heck out of this bike, and I want to look good doing it. And I don’t plan on selling it, so I’m doing it my way - somewhat period correct.

Also, no pins on the BB or the steerer tube. I’ll keep checking for the date stamps as you suggested. I’m still leaning to 1972 though. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Good luck with your build!!

aceves

Last edited by aceves; 05-07-19 at 12:21 PM.
Likes For aceves:
Old 05-04-19, 02:06 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 3,331 Times in 2,173 Posts
-----

Thanks so much for the response aceves!

Great job with the photos.

Me thinking was that since they employed an Agrati shell the cable guides might be Agrati as well. So much for speculation.

Do not forget to check steerer interior for rifling. Rifling equals A.L. Colombo, S.p.A.

---

What are your build plans; do you envision keeping the fittings period correct for the 1972 date?

Will look forward to following along.

-----
Old 05-07-19, 12:19 PM
aceves 

Hi juvela,

I will keep most of the components that came with the bike (all the Campagnolo bits, plus the Zeus RD), but I will update components where needed (brake levers, BB and crankset). Some parts were just too far gone to save, such as the broken brake levers and saddle. I will use components that I have on hand, to make this a fun, somewhat low-cost build. I'm not going for full 1972 originality, more like an updated 1970's build. I want to ride this bike in local races, so I also want it to be safe. I will post pics of the progress on the build thread.

aceves
Likes For aceves:
Old 05-12-19, 08:12 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
Glad to hear you're getting started on this project @aceves . I'll be following the process.

Btw, I forgot to update this thread with additional information I received since the last time I posted here.
I contacted Billato a while back asking about the "MB" bottom bracket stamp I mentioned earlier in this thread. Although the response was pretty short (no explanation of what the letters actually stand for), they confirmed that this was their factory punch for a while.
So, it looks like your frame was made by Billato after all!
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 09-19-19, 05:51 PM
aceves 

OK, so after a few months of R&R (actually, just life happening), I am back on full build mode for my Vicini. I will start a build thread and post pics as I go. Just wanted to post on this thread one last time to give you all an update before I transition to a dedicated build thread. Thank you all who helped me identify my bike! Truly appreciate all your advice and investigative findings. See you on the new thread!

aceves
Old 07-24-22, 06:34 AM
elboshow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello! I realize this is a very old discussion, but I just came upon it and am trying to identify a repainted Italian frame. It has the mysterious MB stamp and the number 51 and the same cutout pattern as the two blue bicycles MauriceMoss posted here. MauriceMoss, do you know what sort of frames those are? Hot on the trail! Thanks!