Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Western US cyclist: are you riding in the smoke?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Western US cyclist: are you riding in the smoke?

Old 09-11-20, 08:37 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
If it’s a green or yellow air day (<100) I’m fine with it. If it rises to orange or red I’ll skip any recreational riding. Purple and I’m staying inside with the doors and windows shut.

Airnow.gov
Old 09-11-20, 08:44 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
LOL, if you live in the west and you want to ride you have to ride with the smoke. There really is no option unless we can ever get back to responsible fire management and stop all these huge crazy fires we see now days. Yet another mess created by overzealous environmentalist with too much political clout. We've really tipped over to the stupidity side of the scale as of late with our ability to manage these fire problems.
Old 09-11-20, 10:32 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, if you live in the west and you want to ride you have to ride with the smoke. There really is no option unless we can ever get back to responsible fire management and stop all these huge crazy fires we see now days. Yet another mess created by overzealous environmentalist with too much political clout. We've really tipped over to the stupidity side of the scale as of late with our ability to manage these fire problems.

It has nothing to do with environmentalists. Fire has always been part of the West, that coupled with a megadrought cycle is what is causing fires. There were much bigger fires out west in the 19th century, when we didn't have pesky environmentalists. In the 1800's it is estimated that each year some 145 million acres burned annually during fire season, about 10 times more than recent bad fire seasons.

If you mean responsible fire management is starting more proscribed burns, I would agree. But a policy of aggressive fire suppression is a fools errand that will cost huge amounts of money and kill firefighters for nothing.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 09-11-20, 10:37 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
It has nothing to do with environmentalists. Fire has always been part of the West, that coupled with a megadrought cycle is what is causing fires. There were much bigger fires out west in the 19th century, when we didn't have pesky environmentalists. In the 1800's it is estimated that each year some 145 million acres burned annually during fire season, about 10 times more than recent bad fire seasons.

If you mean responsible fire management is starting more proscribed burns, I would agree. But a policy of aggressive fire suppression is a fools errand that will cost huge amounts of money and kill firefighters for nothing.
Prescribed burns is exactly what I'm talking about. It is at the heart of the problems we keep encountering now days. Effective preventative programs have been squashed and have us in the position we are in now.
Old 09-11-20, 11:02 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
I'm in the SW USA, and we had some kind of haze earlier this week (Mon/Tues I think) that I think was from the SoCal fires. It all cleared up by Wednesday and yesterday was very clear. I rode my usual 35 km after-work route yesterday but I took my touring bike out to test some new bits. The air quality was actually great and the temperature was considerably cooler than the last time I went out (92F vs 109F OR 33.3C vs 42.7C) The worst part about the ride was that apparently my rear brake was rubbing in one spot. So tonight I get to futz around with my rear wheel and try to re-adjust the brake, and I get to finish upgrading my wife's road bike from 7 speed to 9 speed (just have to mount the front derailleur and tune it up).

Today, the sky looks hazy again, like it did on Monday/Tuesday, but the air quality is being reported as not that bad. It's in the "unhealthy for sensitive groups" range. Idk if that's from the fires or just the usual late-summer crud here, since I've only been here for about 4 months.
Old 09-11-20, 11:17 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Socal was at 53 on Wednesday so wife and I embarked on a 15 mile (round trip), 2000' ascent. Stopped and returned about halfway since our eyes were affected. Learned later that the national forest where we rode was closed. Yesterday was at 70 or so and the same today. Eschewed outdoor exercise yesterday, but may try today.
Old 09-11-20, 11:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It's pretty awful today. I was hoping to ride outside, but I will be on Zwift again tonight.
Old 09-11-20, 11:24 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Our AQI was 456 this morning, and we are on Level 1 evacuation notice, so we are not going far from the house for awhile. However, we have two of bikes ready to go on the bike rack if we do have to leave
Old 09-11-20, 11:29 AM
Doug64

Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
I totally disagree, and that is coming from a retired forester with 47 years experience. I echo billridesbikes' post.
Do a search for "fire return interval" and it will give you an idea of how 75 years of stomping out every small fire has actually increased the size and intensity of many fires today.

In Ponderosa pine timber type, which is common in eastern Oregon, the fire return interval was about 10-15 years in much of the area. This would reduce the amount of young undergrowth trees, ladder fuels, which made future low intensity fires in the area the norm, while leaving most of the larger trees unharmed.

For timber types west of the cascades the fire return interval was about 200 years. Most of the fires in this type were large and intense because of the tremendous fuel accumulations during that relative long period. Look at the Tillamook Burn history for a good example.

This is just a thumbnail sketch; you can find reams of papers written about this subject.

Contrary to popular opinion, Smokey the Bear was not as much a friend of the forests as he was made out to be. Yes, there are many times when it is necessary to suppress wildfires as quickly as possible. There are other times when thinning and controlled prescribed burns can reduce fuels and get the forests back into a more natural composition. California fires are another matter due to the fuel types.

And yes, Global warming is real!

Last edited by Doug64; 09-11-20 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 11:58 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Right now, the AQI here (Grants Pass, OR) stands at 532. No way am I spending anymore time outdoors than absolutely necessary. Even indoor, my eyes are watering and I'm sneezing frequently. We've got 2 uncontained fires within 30 miles, both being driven our way by windy conditions. If I go outdoors today, it'll most likely be to evacuated.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 09-11-20, 01:24 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/11/c...gtype=Homepage

Hope you can access this.
Old 09-11-20, 01:30 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
AQI is 144, higher than I've ever seen it here in Tacoma where it rarely surpasses 60 and is usually in the teens.

I just got back from Home Depot where I purchased two box fans and some air filters. Tape the air filter to the back of the fan and run it inside the house, hoping to clean up the air inside a bit. No AC here because it never gets that hot.

One of the two fans inoperable (faulty switch maybe?). Tried to blame it on China but it says "Proudly Built in the USA!" on the side fo the box. Oh well, at least I kept the receipt.
Old 09-11-20, 01:41 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Contrary to popular opinion, Smokey the Bear was not as much a friend of the forests as he was made out to be. Yes, there are many times when it is necessary to suppress wildfires as quickly as possible. There are other times when thinning and controlled prescribed burns can reduce fuels and get the forests back into a more natural composition. California fires are another matter due to the fuel types.

Wasn't "squash all fires immediately" originally about the timber companies not wanting to see their profits go up in smoke?
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-11-20, 01:43 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
AQI is 245 here, and sitting inside with all the windows and doors shut I still have a headache and my throat is burning. No riding for awhile.
Old 09-11-20, 01:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
When the wind is right, some days here in Nebr, we have a very red sun in the morning, and you can actually smell the smoke.
My house has been closed up since Monday morning. Smells and feels like a fireplace fire with the damper closed but it is still enough better than outside that we are just dealing with it. (I saw an AQI of 250, I have no reason to question it.) I took the furnace filter out (new last winter, should be in very good shape) and it was deep in dust the same color as the air outside.
Old 09-11-20, 02:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Worst I've seen smoke in Seattle since moving up here nearly twenty years ago. Rode to the store, that's it.
Old 09-11-20, 04:48 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Doug64
I totally disagree, and that is coming from a retired forester with 47 years experience. I echo billridesbikes' post.
Do a search for "fire return interval" and it will give you an idea of how 75 years of stomping out every small fire has actually increased the size and intensity of many fires today.

In Ponderosa pine timber type, which is common in eastern Oregon, the fire return interval was about 10-15 years in much of the area. This would reduce the amount of young undergrowth trees, ladder fuels, which made future low intensity fires in the area the norm, while leaving most of the larger trees unharmed.

For timber types west of the cascades the fire return interval was about 200 years. Most of the fires in this type were large and intense because of the tremendous fuel accumulations during that relative long period. Look at the Tillamook Burn history for a good example.

This is just a thumbnail sketch; you can find reams of papers written about this subject.

LOL, I think my post was not very clear. I'm talking fire prevention methodology not quickly putting out a fire.
Old 09-11-20, 04:57 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Played pickleball this morning in Tacoma before it got bright enough to see how bad it is. My throat still feels swollen, although toking 1-1.5g/day will also do that to you.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 09-11-20, 05:23 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Prescribed burns is exactly what I'm talking about. It is at the heart of the problems we keep encountering now days. Effective preventative programs have been squashed and have us in the position we are in now.
The problem there isn't environmentalists. I would argue quite the opposite. The problem is that, due to a lack of sufficient regulation, people have been permitted to build way too many houses and towns in high fire danger areas. As a result, almost any fire is a huge problem. It makes it much more difficult to allow controlled burns in many areas. There should have been more land use regulation, not less.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 09-11-20, 07:49 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I rode about 20 miles last night, probably unwise but after a stressful day of work it was needed. I don't know the AQI but visibility was less than a mile. On the bright side, the MUP was empty. Mask worn, for what that was worth.

I'll probably skip the weekend ride though.
Old 09-11-20, 09:33 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
AQI near Cle Elum (central Washington, eastern slope of the Cascades) early this morning was in the yellow zone so I went out of a 40 miler. Felt great and no after effects that I can detect. Air quality is deteriorating as I type, not planning to ride tomorrow (Saturday).
Old 09-11-20, 10:40 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
get all the rednecks outta Cali. Most fires are start by these woody rednecks.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 09-12-20, 03:20 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
too many greasy palms in regards to land use regulation in the west. the southern tejon ranch area north of la on the east side of the
5 freeway along the "grapevine" is being developed for a massive amount of homes. there will eventually be a catastrophic wildfire event(s)
in an area not designed for the population density that is about to come into existence. it could be arson. it could be a downed power line.
it could be a spark from a motorcycle or a tossed cigarettte. doesn't really matter. loss of property, life and livelihood is always tragic but what is
it when it is calculated into the equation? am i/are we still supposed to feel sorry for you when you court disaster and discount it and then lose at the gambling table?

it's a combination of nimbys mixed with people actively selecting homes that deal with some amount of firescape/burn interface.
in san diego county (where i live), i would conservatively estimate that approx 15-20% of the entire country's population lives in a "fire zone."
when you realize that, under the right (or wrong) conditions, a wind-blown ember from an existing fire can travel over a half-mile to ignite another
blaze, it make you humble to the power of nature. there are many places we never should build or never should have built. in san diego
county alone, i'd point out most of both sides of the north/south 15 freeway corridor from the 8 freeway north to the border checkpoint south of temecula.
don't get me started on the santa monica mountains/hollywood hills in la. when winds are 50+ mph in a multiple times yearly santa ana condition, is it the fire depts
fault when they can't protect your home because you live in an indefensible area? you could have plenty of brush clearance space but if your eaves (or roof) are susceptible
(and many are), you could have six trucks and forty firefighters at your house attempting to solely save it and still fail under regularly experienced climactic conditions here in socal.

the nimbys complain that prescribed burns devalue their properties but then want (and get) taxpayer funds to rebuild after their houses go up in flames because
there's too much fuel nearby. repeat as necessary. is that fair? people actively live where they shouldn't and then get taxpayer bailout? similar to beachfront
home owners miffy about flooding/surge/wave damage but that's another topic (altho related). why are we paying for people to live in areas that they shouldn't?
the southern california scrub/chaparral community is meant to burn. it actively seeks it. a little like the ring looking to return to its' master in the lord of the rings trilogy.
not exactly the brightest idea to cozy up next to said community and expect it to behave when it only wants to party. and then the winter/spring mudslides when it does burn.
sorry not sorry if your poodle, labradoodle or housecat gets snarfed by a mountain lion or coyote. it's a sign and be glad it's not your 4 year old kiddo-because it could be.

really haven't ridden much the last two weeks because of the aq. hopefully soon tho.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-12-20 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-12-20, 07:56 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
AQI 240 this morning. Has gone up 40+ points in 24 hours. I am going for a power walk with a N95 industrial mask and see if I can manage not to fog up my glasses or have eye irritation. A bike ride does not sound like a good idea for awhile until a front blows the smoke out to the Inland Empire where riders are more hearty.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-12-20, 10:07 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Yet another mess created by overzealous environmentalist.
That's why the mega-fires in Oregon are interesting. The climate used to be cool, damp and rainy, which helped to contain wildfires. It provides a good control with respect to climate change vs "overzealous environmentalists" being at fault, especially with all of the clear-cutting.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 09-12-20 at 10:16 AM.
Likes For Cyclist0108:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.