Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 08:53 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Wasn't one of those listed in the sale section?

FOUND IT
Well, it's more "spot one in the wild" than actually own one right now, I don't need another bike.
Plus, the price is a little too rich for my tastes.
Double plus, it's too big.
Triple plus: The post is from two years ago.
Old 04-20-21, 10:38 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
Triple plus: The post is from two years ago.
He did post recently and still has 2 for sale though, but, yea, too big is a deal breaker no matter what.
Old 04-21-21, 12:20 AM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I've been meaning to share this here. I'd be happy to learn more about the hub. Obviously neglected at some point, but the wheels look rideable from here.
$100 1967 Raleigh Sprite 3+2

Indicator left

Indicator right

3+2 speed Hub?
There was one just like this, only in much nicer condition on CL here all last summer for $40 with no takers. I finally emailed the guy and got it for $20. It was 6 miles away from my house.
Its been converted to twin trigger shifters but came with the original SA levers like on this bike as well.
I only bought it for the rims, figuring I could use a minty set of Raleigh rims on something else, but never got around to it. I've actually started to use it on occasion because mine came with folding rear saddle baskets and a small basket in the front. For some reason it fits me better than my Sports, its a 21" frame but it sits taller and I get better leg extension somehow.
Mine came with a Brooks saddle, which I promptly sold online. Its got a Messinger cruiser saddle on it now but I have a period correct padded Brooks to put on it.
I've been meaning to dig it out and go through it real well but never have. I've just been using it as found for the last 15 or so years. I'm sure the BB and hubs could use some fresh grease by now. Its likely just going to become my loaner bike if I ever get around to going over it properly. I think its even still got its original tires on it.
Old 04-21-21, 07:44 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagebicycle
There was one just like this, only in much nicer condition on CL here all last summer for $40 with no takers. I finally emailed the guy and got it for $20. It was 6 miles away from my house.
Its been converted to twin trigger shifters but came with the original SA levers like on this bike as well.
I've found that ladies' pre-27", IGH S5 Sprites - especially in rough shape - do not pull a premium over a similar ladies' Sports.

In fact, they may run cheaper because of the likeliness of the plastic S5 shifters (if not replaced with the metal versions) to crack and the lack of documentation and name recognition vs. the 3-speeds.

I'm not sure if this also applies to the men's models. They're basically identical to a later 1970's 5-speed Superbe, but again - without the name recognition.

Originally Posted by gster
That is a gorgeous burgundy Raleigh Sprite. Got a picture of that whole beauty?

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-21-21 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-21-21, 09:59 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I see a 23" Humber and a Raleigh Sports ladies'.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...30763403976067

That's about one hour away from me. If I bought them, my wife would shoot me and be justified for doing so.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 04-21-21, 10:04 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
That's about one hour away from me. If I bought them, my wife would shoot me and be justified for doing so.
Pick 'em and bring 'em to me. I won't tell my wife and everyone will be happy.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 04-21-21, 10:24 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I've found that ladies' pre-27", IGH S5 Sprites - especially in rough shape - do not pull a premium over a similar ladies' Sports.

In fact, they may run cheaper because of the likeliness of the plastic S5 shifters (if not replaced with the metal versions) to crack and the lack of documentation and name recognition vs. the 3-speeds.

I'm not sure if this also applies to the men's models. They're basically identical to a later 1970's 5-speed Superbe, but again - without the name recognition.

That is a gorgeous burgundy Raleigh Sprite. Got a picture of that whole beauty?

-Kurt
This bike originally had the plastic shifters that I replaced.

Likes For gster:
Old 04-21-21, 10:39 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

This bike originally had the plastic shifters that I replaced.
I figured it was a plastic-shifter substitute - I wouldn't be surprised if most steel-shifter early Sprites out there didn't start out as such.

She's an absolute beaut. Kudos for keeping her up so nicely. I'm a sucker for Rudge Maroon on a Raleigh.

-Kurt

Old 04-21-21, 02:20 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

I figured it was a plastic-shifter substitute - I wouldn't be surprised if most steel-shifter early Sprites out there didn't start out as such.

She's an absolute beaut. Kudos for keeping her up so nicely. I'm a sucker for Rudge Maroon on a Raleigh.

-Kurt
Thanks
It doesn't get out that much..
It's a "show" bike...
Likes For gster:
Old 04-22-21, 07:43 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Fifty-buck Raleigh Sports and Sprites in New Hampshire:

https://nh.craigslist.org/bik/d/tilt...308529370.html

-Kurt

Old 04-22-21, 07:58 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Well, after years and years of not finding an old school Guv'nor with rod brakes and all I finally broke down several months ago and bought a new one. Totally not C&V but still based on the original 1930's design. Surprised when it showed up without a round tube crowned fork and wondered if Pashley made a mistake. Emailed an inquiry and they said that they've updated to fork but with all the COVID mess hadn't updated the specs on the webpage. Seriously relaxed angles. I have the Brooks pushed all the way forward on the seatpost and it's still farther back off the BB then any of my bikes. The wheelbase is more than 5" longer than the one on the 56cm De Rosa I just took in.

Beautiful bike and the first 9 mile shakedown was a joy. Hopefully it's ok to share it here as I spend most of my time on the C&V forum.

Saddle has been moved forward since this picture was taken.

Pretty place to lay your hands.

Pinstriping on the rims, cool!
Old 04-22-21, 08:03 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Surprised when it showed up without a round tube crowned fork
Can't tell from the picture, but it's different from this crown? Would love to see a pic.

-Kurt

Old 04-22-21, 08:04 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@jamesdak, so cool. It may not be vintage, but I'd call that a classic. And with those drum brakes you don't have to worry about marring up those nice pinstriped rims.

These slack old roadsters have style and comfort for miles. Enjoy that beauty.
Old 04-22-21, 08:40 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Can't tell from the picture, but it's different from this crown? Would love to see a pic.

-Kurt
Yep, here's what it came with. Looking at their site it looks like the fork they are using on the more expensive Morgan 3. I guess this will be the new norm for the Guv'nor. Sorry for the crappy cellphone shots, these are what i grabbed las night to send to Pashley when I was asking them about this. They were quick to respond as the reply was waiting when I woke up this morning.

Totally blown out exposure but it shows the difference.

Oop, looks like missed some wax there when I buffed it out, LOL!

Last edited by jamesdak; 04-22-21 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-22-21, 08:42 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Yep, here's what it came with. Looking at their site it looks like the fork they are using on the more expensive Morgan 3. I guess this will be the new norm for the Guv'nor. Sorry for the crappy cellphone shots, these are what i grabbed las night to send to Pashley when I was asking them about this. They were quick to respond as the reply was waiting when I woke up this morning.

Totally blown out exposure but it shows the difference.

Oop, looks like missed some way there when I buffed it out, LOL!
I like it - it looks like a proper crown from an early turn-of-the-century machine and not another Raleigh ripoff.

-Kurt

Old 04-22-21, 08:51 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by BFisher
@jamesdak, so cool. It may not be vintage, but I'd call that a classic. And with those drum brakes you don't have to worry about marring up those nice pinstriped rims.

These slack old roadsters have style and comfort for miles. Enjoy that beauty.
Yep,I got this for those days I just want to meander along and enjoy the ride vs working out on one of my road bikes.

Some more pics to show the details.

Bolted on seat stays

S/A 3 speed

I think it's a pretty crank

Drum Brakes

Surprised how light the titanium B17 felt compared to all my normal Brooks.

Now that's a Name!

Beefy lugs

Simple but I do like the looks. May play with the angle of the bars to get optimum comfort

Gotta have the bell.

Guess I am "stepping back" a bit with this and my other new purchase. I've sold off close to 20 of the road bikes and on top of this I have a sweet Azor step through Dutch bike on order to be my utility type ride. Big departure from all my steel racers but I've been missing what my old AMF Hercules gave me in terms of carrying capacity in an upright position. The Azor will fill that need and more.
Old 04-22-21, 09:15 AM
jamesdak 

I like it - it looks like a proper crown from an early turn-of-the-century machine and not another Raleigh ripoff.

-Kurt
i do too. In fact I was digging the fork the first day as I put the bike together and it didn't dawn on me until last night that it wasn't what the bike was advertised as coming with. This crown is drilled so that gives some fender/rack capability and looks like it's setup for and internal wire from a dyno hub to a light.
Old 04-22-21, 01:21 PM
vintagebicycle

The Raleigh Nottingham England 5 Speed

This popped up a little while ago, about a half hour from Philly.
Looks like a small, 20.5" frame
Old 04-22-21, 06:02 PM
gster

Yep,I got this for those days I just want to meander along and enjoy the ride vs working out on one of my road bikes.

Some more pics to show the details.

Bolted on seat stays

S/A 3 speed

I think it's a pretty crank

Drum Brakes

Surprised how light the titanium B17 felt compared to all my normal Brooks.

Now that's a Name!

Beefy lugs

Simple but I do like the looks. May play with the angle of the bars to get optimum comfort

Gotta have the bell.

Guess I am "stepping back" a bit with this and my other new purchase. I've sold off close to 20 of the road bikes and on top of this I have a sweet Azor step through Dutch bike on order to be my utility type ride. Big departure from all my steel racers but I've been missing what my old AMF Hercules gave me in terms of carrying capacity in an upright position. The Azor will fill that need and more.
I always wanted a Guv'nor but could never justify the cost...
I'm a bit jealous...
just sayin'
Old 04-22-21, 07:13 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Dunelt Roadster in NJ: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

Likes For BFisher:
Old 04-22-21, 08:14 PM
jamesdak 

I always wanted a Guv'nor but could never justify the cost...
I'm a bit jealous...
just sayin'
I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't freed up so much cash selling off a bunch of bikes. And of course, a year of Covid keeping me more at home sure helped the bank account. Just had it back out after making some fit adjustments and it's even better now.
Old 04-23-21, 12:39 AM
vintagebicycle

Another one in NJ:

Raleigh Sports - 3 speed - 23" frame

23" frame and pretty clean looking going by the one pic.
Looks like later 70's model.
Old 04-23-21, 07:51 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Well, after years and years of not finding an old school Guv'nor with rod brakes and all I finally broke down several months ago and bought a new one. Totally not C&V but still based on the original 1930's design. Surprised when it showed up without a round tube crowned fork and wondered if Pashley made a mistake. Emailed an inquiry and they said that they've updated to fork but with all the COVID mess hadn't updated the specs on the webpage. Seriously relaxed angles. I have the Brooks pushed all the way forward on the seatpost and it's still farther back off the BB then any of my bikes. The wheelbase is more than 5" longer than the one on the 56cm De Rosa I just took in.

Beautiful bike and the first 9 mile shakedown was a joy. Hopefully it's ok to share it here as I spend most of my time on the C&V forum.

Saddle has been moved forward since this picture was taken.

Pretty place to lay your hands.

Pinstriping on the rims, cool!
Curious, where did you find this in the U.S.? Link would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-21, 07:53 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Curious, where did you find this in the U.S.? Link would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ordered it from Loring at

https://www.britishbicycle.com/

Pashley is quoting a longer time for delivery on their site than mine actually took. It was like 3 1/2 months from when I ordered to when the bike was delivered.
Old 04-23-21, 08:21 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Ordered it from Loring at

https://www.britishbicycle.com/

Pashley is quoting a longer time for delivery on their site than mine actually took. It was like 3 1/2 months from when I ordered to when the bike was delivered.
Thanks for the rapid response. WOW! They aren't cheap are they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.