Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trying to ride my old bike again - confusing rim + tire sizes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 04:43 PM
TheLastOfUs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New poster here...

So I have my College Bike from back in the day...and I never really used it since college. Now I want to start using it again for leisure rides.

I'm having quite a time figuring this out. I managed to fill my rear tire with air using one of these mini bike pumps...despite the Schrader fitting constantly recessing as I pushed this bike pump into the valve...had to practically hold the Schrader valve and push the pump in to fill it with air (this is correct right?) Or should my valve not be flailing in and out of the rim hole?

In any case I tried filling the front tire's air tube..and it would not work no matter what. Long story short I think I may have ripped the schrader valve from the tube

I now need a new "tube".

Rim says this: Weinmann 700c x 28/35c

My Actual TIRE on the other hand says 700 x 38c....

The tube inside says 700 x 35/43c.

I know the first number means diameter of the tire and the 2nd set means width/fatness of tire (I might be wrong).

If my rim only supports up to 35c...why on earth is my tire 700x38c. Isn't that bad?

Anyways super confused what to do.....I can simply get a tube like the one I ripped out but yeah...very lost here guys. Please help
Old 05-07-17, 04:53 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Not a problem running 38mm wide tires.

John
Old 05-07-17, 04:59 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Tubes will come in a range of sizes and your appears to be right in the middle.
That's a good place.
If I was looking for a replacement, that's the size I would look for. Small enough to insert easily and large enough to not get stretched too much.
Old 05-07-17, 05:07 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLastOfUs
I managed to fill my rear tire with air using one of these mini bike pumps...despite the Schrader fitting constantly recessing as I pushed this bike pump into the valve...had to practically hold the Schrader valve and push the pump in to fill it with air (this is correct right?) Or should my valve not be flailing in and out of the rim hole?
Does the pump have a lock, a lever that 'grasps' the valve? If not, you have to keep on pushing on the pump head to keep it on the valve. I had one like this once. I discarded it.

I think I may have ripped the schrader valve from the tube
How can you be unsure?

Rim says this: Weinmann 700c x 28x35

A rim has 1 width; where on it did you find this?

My Actual TIRE on the other hand says 700 x 38c....

The tube inside says 700 x 35/43c.

Check out sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html to find out what tires your rim can accommodate - after you figure out exactly how wide the rim is.

I know the first number means diameter of the tire and the 2nd set means width/fatness of tire (I might be wrong).
But, this time, you are right.

If my rim only supports up to 35c...why on earth is my tire 700x38c. Isn't that bad?

Not necessarily
Old 05-07-17, 07:48 PM
TheLastOfUs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picture Time!

RIM:

TIRE:

As for filling my 700x38C tires with the 700x35/43C inner tube - The pump (airforce 2 specialized pump) does have a locking lever - but I have to push down on the bike tire to make a connection..as I push down - the Schrader tube also pushes down BELOW the frame of the rim. It doesn't stay still. I only filled up the back tire by holding the Schrader tube...then pushing the air pump in and finally locking it with the lever. Not sure if this is normal...
Old 05-07-17, 08:26 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The label on your rim gives lots of good info that'll help us answer your questions:
  • "700Cx28C/35C" means that you can run 700c tires, and Weinmann recommends tire widths between 28 and 35 mm.
  • ETRTO 622x20 is the rim size in ISO/ETRTO notation. It means your rim has a bead seat diameter of 622 mm -- the standard diameter for 700c tires. Your rim's width is 20 mm. According to the ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organization), a 20 mm rim will ideally be paired with tires whose width is between 28 and 44 mm wide. According to the ETRTO, Weinmann's 28-35 recommendation is very conservative.

With that knowledge, the 38 mm width of your 700c x 38 tires is fine. And the 35-43 mm width range of your tube is the correct size for the tire.
Old 05-07-17, 08:46 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
As to having to hold the valve stem, if the tube has no pressure there will be nothing keeping it from getting pushed down into the rim, this is normal. So it will need to be held in order to press on a chuck, unless you get a tube which has a threaded stem with a nut to hold it; Continental has such tubes. I how have a chuck which screws on but in the past I have used a needle-nosed pliers to hold the stem.
Old 05-07-17, 09:34 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
How about a pic of the pump head. There should be a lever to turn to lock the chuck on.
I've never heard of one that doesn't screw on on something.
Old 05-07-17, 09:46 PM
Arthur Peabody

As for filling my 700x38C tires with the 700x35/43C inner tube - The pump (airforce 2 specialized pump) does have a locking lever - but I have to push down on the bike tire to make a connection..as I push down - the Schrader tube also pushes down BELOW the frame of the rim. It doesn't stay still. I only filled up the back tire by holding the Schrader tube...then pushing the air pump in and finally locking it with the lever. Not sure if this is normal
This is normal. I push the valve up with the other hand then lock the pump. After that, I can use both hands on the pump.

The rim both tells you its width: 20, and recommends tire sizes. You can consult tire-sizing.html for its recommendations for a 20. It has only odd numbers; interpolating between the recommendations for 19 & 21 rims, they would be 32-47. SkyDog75 is probably right.
Old 05-07-17, 11:03 PM
TheLastOfUs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all
Old 05-08-17, 12:38 AM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by SkyDog75
According to the ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organization), a 20 mm rim will ideally be paired with tires whose width is between 28 and 44 mm wide.
I looked on ETRTO's web site and couldn't find this info. Schwalbe publishes a chart that it claims comes from ETRTO but they must have made a mistake.
Old 05-08-17, 07:48 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
I looked on ETRTO's web site and couldn't find this info. Schwalbe publishes a chart that it claims comes from ETRTO but they must have made a mistake.
It's published in the ETRTO's Standards Manual, which can be found in PDF form, but may not be publicly available on the ETRTO web site. Schwalbe, Sheldon Brown, and others have excerpted the chart from the manual and published it on their sites. It looks like Schwalbe's updated their web site and possibly their chart. They may be referring to a newer version of the ETRTO Standards Manual than the 2007 chart that's floating around in general circulation.

And even with that aside, the OP's 38 mm tires just barely exceed Weinmann's 35 mm recommendation. They'll be fine.
Old 05-08-17, 08:00 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Did someone with a college education really just come to a bike forum to ask how to pump up a tire?

On a bike they have owned for years?

Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet this morning.
Old 05-08-17, 08:14 AM
skoda2

Bikes: 74 Romic, 83 Basso, Lotto, 88 Condor, Prestige MTB, 12 Soma, Groove

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Did someone with a college education really just come to a bike forum to ask how to pump up a tire?

On a bike they have owned for years?

Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet this morning.
Millennial's, 84% of them have no clue how to check oil, or even open the hood of their cars. I suspect, however, they ALL know how to program their cell phones!

Last edited by skoda2; 05-08-17 at 08:23 AM.