Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Yard sale find

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 09:52 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
Yard sale find

I guess I’m out of date, but I was surprised to find a disc break bike at a yard sale. The hanger was bent and the rear derailleur needs to be replaced as the bump that the stop hits busted off, but for $15 I figured it was worth a shot.

Old 09-03-22, 10:28 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
For $15 I'd definitely have snatched that up.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-03-22, 10:53 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Nice find

Old 09-03-22, 03:44 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
The bigger question is. does it fit you? I'm looking at how much of the seat tube is above the downtube. Is there enough remaining in the downtube to be safe? In the past I picked up a few bikes from the trash and at our local police auction. The most recent one was a Trek 850 Single Track MTB in rideable shape put out by a neighbor who was moving to Tennessee. It wasn't my size so I gave it to a friend who needed a decent bike. It sat there for at least a week and I grabbed it a day or so before the bulk pickup day.

Disc brakes are not a guarantee of a good bike. Lots of cheap bikes now have them. A more important test is what does the bike weigh? The Trek 850 would have had a decent weight had the original owner not replaced the handlebar stem with a steel suspension handlebar stem. The stem wasn't cheap trash, just awfully heavy.

A new hangar is going to be more than the $15 the bike cost you unless you know the exact number and can order it from overseas. The one on my trike is a number 45 and the dealer wants $32 plus shipping up from $20 a few years ago. I can find a replacement on AliExpress for under $2 plus $4 shipping. I bent one a couple of years ago when a daytime running light fell off and ended up in the chain. The spare ordered from China for ~$5 is identical to the one I ordered online here in the USA for $20.
Old 09-03-22, 04:59 PM
Lbxpdx

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
The bigger question is. does it fit you? I'm looking at how much of the seat tube is above the downtube. Is there enough remaining in the downtube to be safe? In the past I picked up a few bikes from the trash and at our local police auction. The most recent one was a Trek 850 Single Track MTB in rideable shape put out by a neighbor who was moving to Tennessee. It wasn't my size so I gave it to a friend who needed a decent bike. It sat there for at least a week and I grabbed it a day or so before the bulk pickup day.

Disc brakes are not a guarantee of a good bike. Lots of cheap bikes now have them. A more important test is what does the bike weigh? The Trek 850 would have had a decent weight had the original owner not replaced the handlebar stem with a steel suspension handlebar stem. The stem wasn't cheap trash, just awfully heavy.

A new hangar is going to be more than the $15 the bike cost you unless you know the exact number and can order it from overseas. The one on my trike is a number 45 and the dealer wants $32 plus shipping up from $20 a few years ago. I can find a replacement on AliExpress for under $2 plus $4 shipping. I bent one a couple of years ago when a daytime running light fell off and ended up in the chain. The spare ordered from China for ~$5 is identical to the one I ordered online here in the USA for $20.
i have the park hanger tool and bent it back in shape yesterday. Worked like a charm.

the bike does fit, the pic was how I bought it, but it doesn’t matter, as it will be up for sale probably tomorrow.

to me the bigger score was a $5 Yamaha digital piano that had a temperamental volume switch that wouldn’t allow it to work. I had to remove, disassemble, clean, adjust, and solder back onto the board. Works great.
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 09-03-22, 06:23 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
i have the park hanger tool and bent it back in shape yesterday. Worked like a charm.

…Yamaha digital piano… had to remove, disassemble, clean, adjust, and solder back onto the board. Works great.
Isn’t it great being able to fix things yourself?
Old 09-03-22, 06:32 PM
Lbxpdx

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Isn’t it great being able to fix things yourself?

yes it is.