Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Old 11-16-22, 10:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
With all this talk, I remember my sister gave me half a Xanax once, and I was shocked by its properties. She was on a three a day regimen, which I found to be unbelievable.
That is exactly what I thought when, during a time of extreme stress, I took one. The swirling thoughts winked out one by one, and it was like a warm blanket settled over my mind. I thought, "This oblivion could be really addictive."

Later, I mean. I thought that later. On the Xanax, I was barely thinking at all.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-16-22, 10:49 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
It seems that you live in a wind tunnel. Fontana is like that, too.
By far the windiest place I have lived. This old house is making lots of strange noises this morning. The owner added a room at the rear which is where I am now and the double French doors are creaking with the gusts and I can see them moving inward.
Old 11-16-22, 10:55 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
By far the windiest place I have lived. This old house is making lots of strange noises this morning. The owner added a room at the rear which is where I am now and the double French doors are creaking with the gusts and I can see them moving inward.
Yikes! Stay safe, John.
Old 11-16-22, 11:02 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It strikes me as odd that in 1990 there seemed to be such concern about doling them out in a situation like mine. (It's not like I simply sprained my ankle.) Was a lessening of that type of concern what led to the opioid crisis?
It’s more that oxy was falsely marketed as a not abusable long term pain management medication and many physicians were actively pushed to prescribe it and large distribution companies and pharmacies didn’t want to get off the gravy train once they learned the truth
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 11-16-22, 11:23 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
They sent me home from my hernia surgery with some oxycodone. I didn't use it.
For my last hernia I used the Oxy for about 1 day and then ditched it for some Advil. How people can enjoy that Oxy high is beyond me.
Old 11-16-22, 11:24 AM
big john

Yesterday the first distribution of funds from multi-billion dollar opioid lawsuits was started.

Funding from national opioid settlement heading to Missoula County (kpax.com)
Old 11-16-22, 11:30 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by big john
. . . things are blowing around the yard, the gates have been ripped open, and the house has been shaking all night. Maybe no ride today.

Think it over, you wouldn't want to make a rash decision and miss a ride just to be safe or, you know, alive.
Old 11-16-22, 11:31 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by phrantic09
We got 2-3 inches of snow overnight, inside ride for me this morning.
We got 2 inches, followed by rain. No shoveling involved.
Old 11-16-22, 11:35 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It strikes me as odd that in 1990 there seemed to be such concern about doling them out in a situation like mine. (It's not like I simply sprained my ankle.) Was a lessening of that type of concern what led to the opioid crisis?
The opioid crisis had two main causes, in my opinion:

On the supply side, the pharmas developed a bunch of very potent synthetic opiates and, in order to sell them, promoted two bogus but plausible ideas: 1. that patients with real pain could take opiates without risk of addiction and 2. that time-release pain pills had greatly reduced addictive potential. They marshaled their scientific and sales apparatus and launched a huge campaign to make pain the "5th vital sign" and make every doc and nurse an advocate for its total eradication.

On the demand side, white, working class, America fell into a spiral of despair and social dissolution and embodied it as an epidemic of chronic pain. Of course, the massive influx of dope overflowed the pain population and became an epidemic simple abuse. The mechanisms linking social stress and the inability to suppress or tolerate pain are pretty well worked out at this point, but the concept is still beyond common understanding.

Then, of course, the crooked docs, pharmacies, and pill wholesalers stepped up to facilitate.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 11-16-22 at 11:39 AM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-16-22, 11:36 AM
big john

Originally Posted by BillyD

Think it over, you wouldn't want to make a rash decision and miss a ride just to be safe or, you know, alive.
With 55mph gusts I'm concerned about driving to the store.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-16-22, 11:49 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
The poppy is a gift from a merciful god, no doubt. The neck would actually have been perfectly survivable without narcs and I was off completely at 36 hours, but I've had a couple of things where I was glad to have them.
For my shoulder surgery I made the mistake of waiting too long to start the meds. I pray I never make that mistake again, you can't allow the nerve block to wear off before starting the narcotics.
Old 11-16-22, 12:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts

On the supply side, the pharmas developed a bunch of very potent synthetic opiates and, in order to sell them, promoted two bogus but plausible ideas: 1. that patients with real pain could take opiates without risk of addiction and 2. that time-release pain pills had greatly reduced addictive potential. They marshaled their scientific and sales apparatus and launched a huge campaign to make pain the "5th vital sign" and make every doc and nurse an advocate for its total eradication.

On the demand side, white, working class, America fell into a spiral of despair and social dissolution and embodied it as an epidemic of chronic pain. Of course, the massive influx of dope overflowed the pain population and became an epidemic simple abuse. The mechanisms linking social stress and the inability to suppress or tolerate pain are pretty well worked out at this point, but the concept is still beyond common understanding.

Then, of course, the crooked docs, pharmacies, and pill wholesalers stepped up to facilitate.

"The United States makes up 4.4% of the world’s population, and consumes over 80% of the world’s opioids. The US consumes approximately 99% percent of the world’s hydrocodone."

"Over the last 20 years, the narrative about pain has moved from something that we cope with or manage, to a condition that can be alleviated or even eliminated. "

https://www.health.state.mn.us/commu...20hydrocodone.
Old 11-16-22, 12:04 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13642 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts

If only we had listened to Westley...

Likes For rjones28:
Old 11-16-22, 12:14 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Good news: had a fantastic ride.

Bad news: the Saturn failed inspection. Apparently mucho rust underneath including exhaust system. I am waiting for an estimate from the mechanic but mrs datlas will likely veto any repairs north of $500-ish.

Stay tuned.
Old 11-16-22, 12:14 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Here's a question for the renowned Addiction think tank.

I know this family of three young sisters, and each one has a husband. One of those guys is my stepson, meaning he's my wife's natural son. Does that make the other 2 guys my brother-in-laws? Does that make the three girls my daughter-in-laws? I'm so confused. Should I start a thread?
Old 11-16-22, 12:49 PM
big john

Originally Posted by datlas

Bad news: the Saturn failed inspection. Apparently mucho rust underneath including exhaust system. I am waiting for an estimate from the mechanic but mrs datlas will likely veto any repairs north of $500-ish.

Stay tuned.
$500 is a lot cheaper than a new car. If it can be made safe and serviceable for a couple grand and would then go another couple years=win.

If the structure is compromised by rust, fuhgeddaboudit.
Old 11-16-22, 12:51 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Stay tuned.
The end is near.
Old 11-16-22, 12:52 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

It’s a bit more complicated, but pretty much as above.
Old 11-16-22, 12:54 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by rjones28
The end is near.
Prolly.

What car should I get? The Cooper Mini electric is SO CUTE but I don’t think my bike will fit in the back, even with the seats down.
Old 11-16-22, 01:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Prolly.

What car should I get? The Cooper Mini electric is SO CUTE but I don’t think my bike will fit in the back, even with the seats down.
I spent a couple hours looking into electric cars, it kind of reinforced my thinking, which is that if you only ever drive locally, and can charge at home, especially during off-peak hours, they seem great. Road trips, however, can be fraught with range anxiety and charging anxiety. The last part is FAR less true for Teslas, because of their supercharger network, which may be the real genius of Tesla - building out a network of chargers ahead of need, and having them just work reliably. I'm not looking to replace the Dodge for at least 2 years, maybe longer, but most likely what I'll replace it with will be electric, and I'm hoping that charging infrastructure will be out of its 'growing pains' years.

Regarding not holding a bike, I carried my bikes on a roof rack for years when I had a Subaru Outback, which was convenient, BUT if I brought a bike to work for riding afterwards, I had to take it off the rack, bring it inside, then put it back on the rack when I left to drive to where I rode from. Sure, you can lock your fork mount. And a determined thief could steal everything but the fork with a 5mm allen key.
EDIT: Since I got the Dodge, I just chuck the bike in the back with the seats down, and it is both secure and largely out of sight..

Old 11-16-22, 01:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

BTW, I used Google to check out electric cars and charging so I'm now an expert!

Old 11-16-22, 01:19 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by genejockey
BTW, I used Google to check out electric cars and charging so I'm now an expert!
But did you stay at the Holiday Inn?
Old 11-16-22, 01:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Here's a question for the renowned Addiction think tank.

I know this family of three young sisters, and each one has a husband. One of those guys is my stepson, meaning he's my wife's natural son. Does that make the other 2 guys my brother-in-laws? Does that make the three girls my daughter-in-laws? I'm so confused. Should I start a thread?
I think his wife is your step-daughter-in-law, and her sisters and their husbands are not really anything to you.

My wife's father remarried after they split up, to a woman who already had two daughters. He adopted them, but Mrs. GJ's Mom had custody of her, so they aren't really step sisters, and they aren't really half-sisters, so they call themselves "Half Step Sisters". I asked whether, if one of them went into rehab, would she be a 12-Step Sister?

Old 11-16-22, 01:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

But did you stay at the Holiday Inn?
Not since 2020, and I really don't want to go through what I went through then again. Suffice to say, it was not a fun time in our lives.

Old 11-16-22, 02:05 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Prolly.

My dad puts his bike in the back of his Vette. I'll bet you can get one in a Mini.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.