Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Reversal:Putting older 10-speed Campy Chorus cassette on new 12-speed CRecord freehub

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Reversal:Putting older 10-speed Campy Chorus cassette on new 12-speed CRecord freehub

Old 11-16-22, 04:25 PM
wilywood

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR500, 1985 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 Trek 630, 1992 Trek 950, 1992 Cannondale M800, 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1999 De Bernardi, 1987 Bianchi Randonneur, 1990's Van Tuyl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have scanned the threads on this question (i.e. putting a Campy 10sp cassette on a newer CRecord 12sp freehub), and am not yet certain on the whether I can use spacers instead of replacing the freehub body. The Q&A's are usually about putting more gears on an old hub.
Thanks for any advice or referral to another thread!

Context: I have most of the pieces and parts for a Campy Chorus 10-speed build on a Van Tuyl Columbus TSX frame of uncertain vintage (Italian-built?, Pasenti?). It's 130mm spacing and likely to be early to mid 90's due to the TSX tubing. Chorus 10 with the carbon bits and brifters seemed the right balance of price, year, and function, but I have a wheelset built on C.Record hubs with a 12sp cassette. I will be assembling and riding far away from an LBS or parcel service, and don't really want to buy another freehub body to take with if unnecessary ($).
Old 11-19-22, 08:55 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Why is this in the bike fit group? You might get more responses if you post it in the mechanics group.
Old 11-20-22, 12:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Yes, this sub-forum probably should be named "Fitting You to Your Bike" or "Fitting Your Bike to You" instead of just "Fitting Your Bike".

I can see why it gets mixed up by noobs occasionally.

OP.. Welcome to BF.

You might just push the red report post button in the lower left of your post and ask a mod to move this for you. Though it says for SPAM, harassment only, the mods have said before that they don't mind it being used for such other things.
Old 11-28-22, 10:35 AM
wilywood

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR500, 1985 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 Trek 630, 1992 Trek 950, 1992 Cannondale M800, 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1999 De Bernardi, 1987 Bianchi Randonneur, 1990's Van Tuyl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving message to another thread...Thanks.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Yes, this sub-forum probably should be named "Fitting You to Your Bike" or "Fitting Your Bike to You" instead of just "Fitting Your Bike".

I can see why it gets mixed up by noobs occasionally.

OP.. Welcome to BF.

You might just push the red report post button in the lower left of your post and ask a mod to move this for you. Though it says for SPAM, harassment only, the mods have said before that they don't mind it being used for such other things.

Thanks for the advice, and yes I was not paying close attention when I posted--i.e. even reading the description of the thread. I made the request a few days ago. I will come back here when once I have installed all the fittings, and the bike doesn't fit me .

W
Old 01-04-23, 09:28 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
If the 10speed cassette is Ultra Drive it should work. The older standard probably won't, or anything that doesn't start with an 11t cog.