Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pivot Les Fat set up for long distance back roads touring

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 11-20-22, 09:31 AM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts

The Les Fat can take tires between 29+ to 5 inches. It can be anything from a snow bike to a long distance touring machine. It has mounts for a rear rack and I use Cleveland Mountaineering front fork mounts and mounted 2 Salsa cages and 2 standard water bolt cages to carry additional water plus a Jet Boil stove, spare parts, etc (things I don't need to access often). For power, I use a SON front hub generator and carry a solar panel as well. I've never run out of power. The Sinewave USB allows me to use a pass thru brick battery and charge the battery first, then my iPhone, iPad mini, lights and so on.

I really like Arkle's small soft sided panniers along with a 20 liter dry bag on the rear rack. I use a Salsa handlebar 'rack' to carry a sleeping back and tent poles. The most water I've had to haul was 22 liters in eastern Utah (so 22 pounds) and the bike performed flawlessly up and down the steep grades of Utah and western Colorado where I live. Its strong and stable and all things considered, not that heavy for a beefy carbon bike. I use it is a stripped down mode for mountain bike on single tack trails.

Here are a couple multi-day trips with pics to show the Les Fat in beast mode...

1. https://www.flickr.com/photos/64293959@N00/albums/72157717464544947

2. https://www.flickr.com/photos/64293959@N00/albums/72177720298070345
Likes For M1T:
Old 12-07-22, 11:34 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Sounds nice, what does the bike weigh? BTW 22 liters of water is more like 48 lb.
Old 12-10-22, 06:15 AM
frogshawn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Great pictures. Looks like a good time.
Old 12-10-22, 09:48 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Impressive bike and gorgeous pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-11-22, 06:53 PM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Sounds nice, what does the bike weigh? BTW 22 liters of water is more like 48 lb.
You're 100% correct... Yes, 11 liters, not 22. I've never put the bike on a scale, but Pivot says 27 pounds with 4 inch tires. The bike came with a set of Chinese carbon wheels and my guess is they shave off maybe 1/2 to 1 pound off the factory weight. The 29+ wheel set (with SON front hub) actually weighs a little less than the wider but shorter carbon wheels. With 4 or 3 inch tires, I can ride pretty much any mountain bike trail... so I sold my full suspension Salsa and I ride this one on trails, longer tours, and as a winter bike. My steel SOMA Sage DC road touring bike weighs 36 pounds 'dry' for comparison. Both are capable, long distance bikes. Forestry Forest (Simon Lambert) and Iohan G both inspired me to get into fat bike touring. Rest in Peace Iohan...