Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Old 10-13-22, 02:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,008 Times in 3,788 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
No, this thread is gaining in richness and depth of flavor .....
Much like a well-made sauce for linguine.
Old 10-13-22, 04:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,924 Times in 4,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
To VegasJen, should she ever bother revisiting this thread (or BikeForums as a whole):

There's a hidden women-only subforum in BikeForums to which you can gain access by moderator approval. Some of the responses you've read here suggest why that subforum was requested and approved years ago.
Originally Posted by Koyote
You seem to be suggesting that there was some mansplaining or perhaps outright misogyny in this thread, which I must've missed. Please cite examples.
Still waiting.

I'm going to take your non-response as evidence that the responses to Jen were not actually gendered...Which makes your claim kind of weird and offensive. Also silly, and not in an amusing way.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-13-22, 06:38 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
This thread is circling the drain.

I am shocked, shocked! to see this happen.

eye bee tee el
Old 10-14-22, 06:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
There was this female team at a Tough Mudder type event I did once who's team name was the Cunning Runts.
An employee of one of my employer's owners was named Becky Peed. Imagine how much she got teased as a child.
Old 10-14-22, 07:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
An employee of one of my employer's owners was named Becky Peed. Imagine how much she got teased as a child.
I'm sure she got really POed at times.
Old 10-14-22, 07:26 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Mike Hunt! Any mail for Mike Hunt???
Old 10-14-22, 07:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
True story: One of our school librarians was an older lady from Virginia with a bit of a southern drawl. One evening a student got on to the waiting list for a book on reserve. He used the name Mike Hunt and was later paged when a copy of the book became available. "Mike Hunt please come to the front desk." An uproar ensued. Afte that, you were required to leave your school ID to get on a reserve book waiting list.

Teenage boys will be teenage boys.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-14-22, 07:46 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
My Dad earned his post-graduate degree in Foreign Trade and so many of the classes were taught entirely in Spanish (because, presumably, in 1959 everyone thought the world's next economic powerhouse would be South America?). One of his professor's would always use the name "C. O. Jones" whenever speaking or writing about a hypothetical individual.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 10-14-22, 08:09 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by indyfabz
True story: One of our school librarians was an older lady from Virginia with a bit of a southern drawl. One evening a student got on to the waiting list for a book on reserve. He used the name Mike Hunt and was later paged when a copy of the book became available. "Mike Hunt please come to the front desk." An uproar ensued. Afte that, you were required to leave your school ID to get on a reserve book waiting list.

Teenage boys will be teenage boys.
I worked my way through school in a restaurant. Late one night, I overheard a waitress named Bobbie going from table to table, asking if anyone was named Mike Hunt -- there was a phone call for him. ("Are any of you Mike Hunt?") Over at the kitchen entrance, I saw three of the cooks peeking around the corner, laughing their heads off.

Yeah, I did intervene to spare Bobbie any more embarrassment.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-14-22, 08:14 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Just think how Fred Turd felt.
Old 11-28-22, 09:16 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
This I swear is true. There was a woman in my school named Wanda Dick. If you don't believe me: (none of these is her AFAIK:

wanda dick - Search (bing.com)

Then of course there is the Legendary Ima Hogg

Ima hogg - Search (bing.com)

Last edited by Camilo; 11-28-22 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-28-22, 09:17 PM
Camilo

I quit reading at the efficacy/efficiency, data/datum/data set, is/are points in the thread. But...

I think the main advantage (I said "main" not "only") of automatic aka clipless pedals for me is just keeping my foot on the pedal at an automatically set position fore and aft, angle, etc. And it doesn't slip or get bumped off. I guess that's efficacy, not efficiency.

My wife didn't like using automatic pedals so the last thing in the world I would do is make one single comment to her encouraging her to use them, because it is not worth even one fall to a mid-60s enthusiast. She'd fallen a couple of years before that and it put her off the bike for most of a season (cracked her elbow). Flat pedals, hybrid/city bike, poorly maintained rail road track - a good 1" proud of the pavement. (was corrected soon after that!)

I did get her some of the old Speedplay Frogs when we had a tandem. Secure attachment to the pedal is critical for the stoker on a tandem (in my admittedly limited experience). If the foot gets knocked off the pedal, it's very difficult to get it back on when the bike is being pedaled. She had a heck of a time getting clipped into Shimano SPD's but found getting into the Frogs much easier. But on the tandem, there was little or no chance of falling since as the "captain" and being larger and stronger than her, it was easy for me to hold the bike up when stopping. She only unclipped when we were actually getting off the bike.

So, I have no argument with people who say it's just not worth it getting automatic pedals. To me, if the efficacy of keeping the foot in place is not needed for a cyclist, don't bother. On my bike that I use for traveling around the country with our travel trailer, I use pedals with SPD on one side and flat on the other. I really don't find a heck of a lot of difference in my speed and efficiency when I'm riding with the flats. Definitely handier for just jumping on the bike to run a quick errand or cruise around the campground.
Old 11-29-22, 05:55 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Camilo
This I swear is true. There was a woman in my school named Wanda Dick. If you don't believe me: (none of these is her AFAIK:

wanda dick - Search (bing.com)

Then of course there is the Legendary Ima Hogg

Ima hogg - Search (bing.com)
I went to high school with a Crystal Waters and Bowen Darrow.
Old 11-29-22, 10:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Many people manage to mountain bike with clipless pedals where emergency exits are a regular occurrence. Though mtb pedals are generally bit easier to get in and out of than rod pedals. I know a lot of people who road bike with mtb clipless systems.

OTOH, I do think the benefits are a bit overstated. They make a real difference during high intensity bursts (so they are a no-brainer in competitive situations) which is really the only time most people are actually pulling up on the pedals, but outside of that, not so much outside of simply what feels more comfortable.

I will also say that if you haven’t tried modern, good flat pedals and shoes, you really don’t know what flats can deliver. Any time I hear someone talking about slipping off flat pedals on the road, I know they have not tried modern offerings.

Just use what you are comfortable with… and then be a d!(k about it.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-29-22, 10:56 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
So, I have no argument with people who say it's just not worth it getting automatic pedals.
I have no argument with those people either, but only because I have no idea what automatic pedals are.
Old 11-29-22, 02:00 PM
Camilo

Re "automatic pedals", I'm making a tiny, Quixotic effort to move the terminology from "clipless" to "automatic" (and did start my post by writing "automatic, AKA 'clipless'"). I read somewhere that the term is sometimes used (although web references are very sparse!). It just makes more sense to me and I'm sure many who aren't hip to cycling terms (like "saddle" vs "seat"). Clipless is just such a stupid description of the pedals, based on a waaaay outdated way of looking at pedals, old technology that I would say that any cyclist younger than 50, and most casual cyclists of any age would have no idea of. Most people I know who are less "serious" than most of us call them "clip-in", not "clipless". I think that maybe even Look originally marketed their pedals calling them "automatic" because that's what their step-in ski bindings were called back in the day when they were new to the market? Not claiming any of that is a fact though.

I did say Quixotic effort. I understand that it is. And very OT, sorry.
Old 11-29-22, 02:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
Re "automatic pedals", I'm making a tiny, Quixotic effort to move the terminology from "clipless" to "automatic" ...
Good luck with your QQ*

*Quixotic Quest
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-29-22, 02:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Re "automatic pedals", I'm making a tiny, Quixotic effort to move the terminology from "clipless" to "automatic" (and did start my post by writing "automatic, AKA 'clipless'"). I read somewhere that the term is sometimes used (although web references are very sparse!). It just makes more sense to me and I'm sure many who aren't hip to cycling terms (like "saddle" vs "seat"). Clipless is just such a stupid description of the pedals, based on a waaaay outdated way of looking at pedals, old technology that I would say that any cyclist younger than 50, and most casual cyclists of any age would have no idea of. Most people I know who are less "serious" than most of us call them "clip-in", not "clipless". I think that maybe even Look originally marketed their pedals calling them "automatic" because that's what their step-in ski bindings were called back in the day when they were new to the market? Not claiming any of that is a fact though.

I did say Quixotic effort. I understand that it is. And very OT, sorry.
"Automatic pedals" sounds like something from an e-bike. I'm not interested.
Old 11-29-22, 02:56 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
"Latch" pedals?
Old 11-29-22, 03:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,576 Times in 2,894 Posts
Acoustic pedals

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-29-22, 03:24 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Kapusta
OTOH, I do think the benefits are a bit overstated. They make a real difference during high intensity bursts (so they are a no-brainer in competitive situations) which is really the only time most people are actually pulling up on the pedals, but outside of that, not so much outside of simply what feels more comfortable.
I regularly ride my commuter bike, which has good flat pedals, and I disagree with this statement. Even when I'm not pulling up on the pedals, I find it much easier to have my feet attached at the right position.
Old 11-29-22, 03:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Part of the big issue with "clipless" is that it's based on the old "toe clip" term, which was already pretty poor. "Toe straps" evolving to "strapless" pedals would have make more sense, and still be clear terminology with modern pedals.
Old 11-29-22, 03:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Koyote
I regularly ride my commuter bike, which has good flat pedals, and I disagree with this statement. Even when I'm not pulling up on the pedals, I find it much easier to have my feet attached at the right position.
I'm with you. I don't have much experience with flat pedals, but a good pedal stroke is not just up/down, push/pull. It involves forces in multiple directions throughout the circle. Being attached is important for "round" power.

Toward the end of my racing era, I was working with a former Olympian. One of his focuses with me was developing a pedal stroke that recruited additional muscle groups to contribute to powering the bike. This paid off the most in keeping the big power muscles fresher for when big power was required. As my stroke improved, it was noticeable how much fresher my legs felt at the end of races. I miss that feeling.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-29-22 at 06:29 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 11-29-22, 04:09 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Apparently in German and possibly related languages, they're "click-pedals". That's much more sensible than "automatic", which sounds like they engage and disengage on their own. No.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 11-29-22, 04:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Apparently in German and possibly related languages, they're "click-pedals". That's much more sensible than "automatic", which sounds like they engage and disengage on their own. No.
Ejector pedals!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.