Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

sanity check on BB standards?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-17-22, 01:42 PM
queenmildew

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hi all -- working on a build for a surly cross check. I have a pair of 110/74 bcd Sugino GT cranks that were born as a triple but I'm hoping to convert to a lower-geared double, something like a 40t x 24t. Sugino made a double version of the GT but it can only accommodate 110bcd chainrings, limiting the low end to 34t. I commute on a triple right now (different bike) and enjoy the range but have little use for the high end, & could use a slightly spinnier ratio than my current 1:1 30tx30t for some of the steeper grades & hillier trails in my city.

The CC frame has a standard 68mm width shell & the cranks require a JIS square taper BB. According to velobase, the triple model of this crank wants 3U spacing, but the purpose-made double is listed as 124.5mm. I've seen 122mm recommended to another user doing a similar conversion on the same crankset. Given that I will be removing a chainring, I imagine the latter figure would be more relevant, but just wanted to check and make sure I'm not missing anything.

I'm usually good with numbers but there are just too many standards to keep track of here and so many weird equivalencies that even the Sheldon database is not helping! I found a Shimano cartridge BB that is English threaded, JIS spindle, and 68mm x 122.5mm spaced. would this model work well for my purposes? and/or have any experience doing similar conversions? thanks all!
Old 11-17-22, 02:53 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Sanity check on BB standards? That's like sanity check on the insane asylum.

Subject to correction by more knowledgeable folk, I think the axle length depends more on the crank. What have you got on now, and what exact model are you planning to put in there?
Old 11-17-22, 02:59 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
The only way to know for sure, unless you have the crank manufacturer's data sheet, is to put the rear wheel with cassette on the bike, install the bottom bracket and crank, and determine that the centerline from between the two chainrings to the center of the cassette aligns with the centerline of the bike, plus or minus a millimeter or two.And if the spindle falls a little short on the drive side, it can be made up with a 1- or 1.85 mm Shimano/SRAM freehub spacer. With the information you're giving us, the 122.5 mm spindle should work.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 11-17-22, 05:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
There are dimension charts for these spindles.

Start by checking chainline, decide how much you want to move your crank inward, then look up the current spindle and find the nears match with the right side shorter by the right amount.

The underappreciated beauty of classic BBs is that you could change chain line easily because there were so many options.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-17-22, 09:58 PM
queenmildew

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
The only way to know for sure, unless you have the crank manufacturer's data sheet, is to put the rear wheel with cassette on the bike, install the bottom bracket and crank, and determine that the centerline from between the two chainrings to the center of the cassette aligns with the centerline of the bike, plus or minus a millimeter or two.And if the spindle falls a little short on the drive side, it can be made up with a 1- or 1.85 mm Shimano/SRAM freehub spacer. With the information you're giving us, the 122.5 mm spindle should work.
perfect ,thank you! I wish i had a spare one sitting around to test it this way but the sealed shimano ones are only $20 anyways so I'll take a chance on the 122.5 :-)
Old 11-18-22, 01:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by queenmildew
hi all -- working on a build for a surly cross check. I have a pair of 110/74 bcd Sugino GT cranks that were born as a triple but I'm hoping to convert to a lower-geared double, something like a 40t x 24t.
Why not just reuse this crank with two chain rings: the larger one mounted in the middle position, and the smaller one in the inner position? That way you can use the same BB and same spindle length.

Originally Posted by queenmildew
I'm usually good with numbers but there are just too many standards to keep track of here and so many weird equivalencies that even the Sheldon database is not helping! I found a Shimano cartridge BB that is English threaded, JIS spindle, and 68mm x 122.5mm spaced. would this model work well for my purposes? and/or have any experience doing similar conversions?
What I have learned, from doing a 3X to 1X conversion, is that while you can measure and calculate the new spindle length, the simpler way is to (1) just install the new crank onto the existing spindle, (2) see how far off the chain line is with respect to the cassette, (3) buy a new BB with the appropriate spindle length based on #2.

Lastly, for $5 to $10 more, you can buy a much better BB:

Tange LN-3922 Square Taper Bottom Bracket – The Bikesmiths

Tange LN-3922 Bottom Bracket | (benscycle.com)
Old 11-18-22, 01:30 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
OP: in case you were wondering about pdlamb's comment, this goes a long way towards explaining it. BikeForums automatically converts URLs here to HTTPS (secure HTTP), and this URL is nonsecure. Simply cut and paste what follows into your browser's URL window and then replace (slash) with the character "/" and (colon) with the character ":".

http(colon)(slash)(slash)pardo.net(slash)bike(slash)pic(slash)mobi(slash)b.bottom-bracket-standards.html
Old 11-18-22, 02:44 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I run a TA double with a 110mm bottom bracket on my Cross Check