Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Old 02-23-05, 08:39 PM
gregw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Cannonclydsdale somewhere in Eastern Colorado, being attacked by a tumbleweed.
www.loa2004.crazyguyonabike.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dale.jpg (49.7 KB, 2220 views)

Last edited by gregw; 12-14-05 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-27-05, 02:31 PM
OnYoLeft
2 wheels R better than 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some great looking rides on this post. I have a photo of my loaded single but I like this photo better. Here is a photo of our Road Runner (2000 Vision VR85) just before leaving for a long weekender.
Old 02-28-05, 10:26 AM
Leon

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520 w/Arkel panniers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stef and me in Japser/Banff...
Old 02-28-05, 02:43 PM
Gtscottie
Ride em all

Bikes: Tandem,2 road bikes, 2 mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is our tandem tour last summer.
Old 03-04-05, 01:04 PM
edtrek
RPM: 85. MPH: varies.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a picture of my loaded rig,
details on it's web page at: https://www.thirdwave-websites.com/bike/trek830.cfm

Old 03-05-05, 03:36 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Here's my not yet loaded bike. It's an early ninties Jamis Dakota I modified into a tourer. I don't have all the panniers and other stuff but that's coming. I was just excited about completing the build and it rides like a dream with the new Brooks Conquest saddle and 26 x 1.25 tires.
Old 03-05-05, 05:47 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Me and my bike finishing my XC tour at Sea Bright, NJ, and my bike on the road between Te Anau and Milford Sound, NZ.

Last edited by valygrl; 03-07-05 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 08:10 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by edtrek
Here's a picture of my loaded rig,
details on it's web page at: https://www.thirdwave-websites.com/bike/trek830.cfm
edtrek, did you find it difficult to get used to a saddle without "nose"? I have only briefly tried riding one and to me it felt fairly awkward. It seemed make steering and handling more difficult.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 03-07-05, 06:18 PM
.Z.
Keep on spinning!

Bikes: 2005 Kona Jake the snake cyclocross. Gary Fisher Prometheus MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Gary Fisher Prometheus -91. A very Rare Titanium MTB. 20" frame that suits me excelent för touring.
Old 03-07-05, 08:10 PM
edtrek
RPM: 85. MPH: varies.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good question about my Easy Seat, it does take a bit of getting used to. It moves as you pedal and you're not mounted on the bike as much as you're dancing with it-- that was my early impression, but after 10+ years on it I'll never ride anything else. But you can't take you hands off the handlebar.

This seat was recommended by my doctor after I encountered an injury due to a slightly nose-up conventional saddle. This is probably TMI, but if you want to read about it I have a page dedicated to this seat at: https://www.thirdwave-websites.com/bike/easy-seat.cfm

I'm a bit of an evangalist for this seat- I think all the people with bikes unused in the garage because the seats weren't fun should try one of these. They cost around $25. I put 2000 miles a year on mine.

Cheers, Ed
Old 03-14-05, 10:55 AM
Bigmikepowell
Mike Powell

Bikes: Giant TCR, Klein Quantum Pro, Crosshair Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Gunnar Crosshairs loaded for Mexico to Peru trip.

Fully loaded with tent and stuff for 6 months

Neat bar bag i found to put my maps and GPS in so I could see it all while cycling

How the bike is now, battered but still going strong. I have changed the rack to one that take a kiddy seat for my daughter.
Old 03-14-05, 12:23 PM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2002 San Remo, outfitted here for grocery shopping, not touring (I just got my camera), and soon to be replaced by a more appropriate heavy tourer--a Mercian King of Mercia custom.

Last edited by Alekhine; 04-07-05 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-15-05, 02:07 AM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Hello, Love your Atlantis, that's my dream bike. Your setup is comparable to what I want. What is your height? I am 5'6" tall and will need a custom sized frame with 26" wheels.
Old 03-15-05, 09:43 AM
lugged
i got nuthin

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Cannondale Crit bike, Bianchi Incline, and soon, a Kona Kula Deluxe. Oh, and a Lemond Buenos Aires frame, and a Bridgestone MB3 frame, both awaiting some sort of build-up.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
Hello, Love your Atlantis, that's my dream bike. Your setup is comparable to what I want. What is your height? I am 5'6" tall and will need a custom sized frame with 26" wheels.
Thanks.
I am 5'10" and the Atlantis is a 54.5. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a custom-sized Atlantis frame. They are production bikes, not custom Rivendells. The wait on a custom Rivendell is something like 18 months now. However, at 5'6" you should have no trouble fitting on one of the production Atlanti. And at your height (and mine) you'll be getting one with 26" wheels. Only the larger sizes (above 56 I believe) have 700cc wheels.

More info, including how to size yourself for an Atlantis, here:
https://www.rivendellbicycles.com/htm...tisframes.html

Good luck.
Old 03-19-05, 08:55 PM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are two shots of my rides. The Bianchi is loaded for an dry run to a local state park. I busted the seat stays, and had to abandon the trip is was planning. the Trek is semi loaded, a day trip into Paris, a stop at the Eiffel Tower just to say I was there. What a cool trip.
Old 03-20-05, 01:08 AM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by naisme
...I busted the seat stays, and had to abandon the trip is was planning...
Bummer! Aluminum?

-And yeah, riding into Paris would be pretty darned cool!
Old 03-21-05, 03:05 PM
way124
Still Newbie

Bikes: A 1992 Norco road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine... working on a low budget. This will be the setup for a trip this spring. The long thing on the rear rack is a camera tripod. I'm still debating on whether to carry the gray camera mount with me. It's made of wood, not weatherproof, weighs about 1kg, and obstructs my hands. But the view is uncapturable anyhow else.
Old 03-21-05, 05:11 PM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camel
Bummer! Aluminum?

-And yeah, riding into Paris would be pretty darned cool!
No the bike was steel. I learned after I'd gotten rid of the bike that I could have had it welded by the factory. Huh, the things we learn. I used the heck out of that bike. I commuted everyday for a year on that bike, through snow and rain, and began training for a tour on it. It is the bike that I started riding on and thought it would actually be possible to tour on a bike.
there is one more bike that I have toured on that was a Gary Fisher Sphinx, that was just a bit small for me. I sold it to a friend who'd had her commuter stolen out of her mother's car. I'll try to find a pic of it loaded.
Old 03-21-05, 08:30 PM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naisme
No the bike was steel. I learned after I'd gotten rid of the bike that I could have had it welded by the factory. Huh, the things we learn. I used the heck out of that bike. I commuted everyday for a year on that bike, through snow and rain, and began training for a tour on it. It is the bike that I started riding on and thought it would actually be possible to tour on a bike.
there is one more bike that I have toured on that was a Gary Fisher Sphinx, that was just a bit small for me. I sold it to a friend who'd had her commuter stolen out of her mother's car. I'll try to find a pic of it loaded.
Well according to many in this forum, your could have gotten it welded by any bumpkin in Nepal or any other BFE place. But wait, the frame is steel, how could it break? Oh, not lugged, that's why
Just a few digs for the steel frame advocates, all in fun, lighten-up.
Old 03-21-05, 08:34 PM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by way124
Here's mine... working on a low budget. This will be the setup for a trip this spring. The long thing on the rear rack is a camera tripod. I'm still debating on whether to carry the gray camera mount with me. It's made of wood, not weatherproof, weighs about 1kg, and obstructs my hands. But the view is uncapturable anyhow else.
Maybe you could get one of those helmet cameras, the small digital types. I like your bike, I think you may have more accessories than mine!
Old 03-21-05, 09:03 PM
way124
Still Newbie

Bikes: A 1992 Norco road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks I've gone through all the camera mounting decision making process, and decided to use what I made and nothing else Although I bought a Clamperpod and I may use that instead. Not for a long duration of time though.
Old 03-22-05, 08:29 AM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love Way's bike. It's pure function, but it also has that postapocalyptic "Mad Max" element to it.
Old 03-22-05, 03:20 PM
limonaia
desert rat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My moots ybb in loaded touring dress last winter in Mexico/Guatemala/Belize: S&S couplings (great for packing up and avoiding sketchy areas - old inner tube sections keep the crud & sand out), Rohloff Speedhub & chain (troublefree), Brooks B17, old Marz Z1 fork, Ortlieb Front/Back Rollers, Old Man Mountain Cold Springs F/R racks, Schwalbe Marathon XR (no flats but _very_ heavy and slow), Outdoor Research 6-pack cooler (muy importante!), Cane Creek bar-ends, BMW Shinburger pedals with nice big platform for tropical riding w/flip-flops. Who's in a rush to get to the next sandy beach, right? Not as fast or as comfy riding position as a traditional touring bike, but suspension and big tires open up a lot of options for taking the back roads or trails to avoid buses and crazy drivers on narrow mountain roads. Also nice for unloaded leisure rides when staying in old colonial towns paved entirely with rough, gut-shaking cobblestones...

cheers,

richard

<br><br>
Old 03-23-05, 01:31 AM
Dougmt

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a nice looking rig Richard. That's one thing I like about MTB conversions... they have the look......
My stumpjumper conversion will be finished this Thursday, except for the racks which are causing me some grief.... but I'll get some pics of her up on Thursday in the "almost ready to tour" form...
D
Old 03-23-05, 08:54 AM
weeroona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was my first overnight ride and we went from Pittsburgh to DC over 3 nights (June 2002). Mine is the one in the front. My panniers were sewn together about 7 hours before we left. They were a mess but I got through it. My main problem was going on the C&O trail with thin tires. 4 flats within an hour on our hundred mile day. One tire on the verge of a sidewall blowout. The bike ended up getting stolen out of my basement while in a shipping box after it was sent back home. Now I have finally been able to piece bits and together to go out again this summer and I'm excited!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.