Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter cycling shoes.

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter cycling shoes.

Old 01-27-23, 07:33 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
Winter cycling shoes.

I decided to buy a pair of winter cycling shoes. I've used winter shoe covers for all the years I've been riding outdoors and have always kept my feet warm. They are water resistant not waterproof and at times I do submerge my feet in frozen water. So, after talking to the local bike shop and having a pair of Shimano mtb shoes for normal weather I went with the Shimano winter cycling shoes. They are wider which is what I need so that worked out well. Today on half day Friday I took them out for their first test ride of 3+ hours in 32-degree weather. Plenty of bike and hike in the snow and three flooded out trail water crossing and still nice warm dry feet. Looking forward to seeing how they do once the February freeze moves in, but very happy with the first test.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 01-27-23, 07:41 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Those look like the 702's, I've the older model 701, I dont get them wet, but they do keep my feet warm down to 25F or so. They fit better than the Lakes I used.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-28-23, 07:35 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Those look like the 702's, I've the older model 701, I dont get them wet, but they do keep my feet warm down to 25F or so. They fit better than the Lakes I used.
They are the 702's and being that I don't shy away from water crossings I was very happy they kept my feet dry also.
Old 01-28-23, 08:29 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Winter shoes is "a bridge too far" for me, I have way too much specialized bike gear and I feel that will push me over the edge. I am now using double shoe covers, stretchy neoprene ones over heavy insulated ones, and on single digit days and am making out OK.

Of course that doesn't stop me from salivating over various winter shoe models, reading reviews, etc.. 😁
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 01-28-23, 09:32 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,811 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Winter shoes is "a bridge too far" for me, I have way too much specialized bike gear and I feel that will push me over the edge. I am now using double shoe covers, stretchy neoprene ones over heavy insulated ones, and on single digit days and am making out OK.

Of course that doesn't stop me from salivating over various winter shoe models, reading reviews, etc.. 😁
All the wear put on winter shoes, is wear that is avoided on the summer shoes.
So assuming the price is similar, in the long run, it does not cost anymore to have the winter shoes.

I tried the neoprene covers, but it was not worth the hassle.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 01-28-23, 10:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
All the wear put on winter shoes, is wear that is avoided on the summer shoes.
So assuming the price is similar, in the long run, it does not cost anymore to have the winter shoes.

I tried the neoprene covers, but it was not worth the hassle.
Agreed. My boots (Lake MKZ303) are over 10 years old now and still going strong. If anything they are too hot for much above 20°F. I have a pair of lighter boots for those days.

I used neoprene covers for 15 to 20 years before that and wouldn’t go back. For a start, I have average sized feet (US size 10/EU size 45) and I had trouble finding covers that would fit over those. I couldn’t imagine getting them on any shoe larger, much less over another cover. Boots are just easier.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-28-23, 10:14 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
I have the same shoes I think. Mine were marked mw7 and I've ridden down to zero and up to 55°F. They are extremely versatile! Totally worth the investment.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-28-23, 01:15 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Winter boots are indeed a luxury, but you hit a point of being tired of adding special socks, plus neoprene, plus shoe covers, etc.... all my riding in winter is mt. bike mostly and its often 15-20 F, so just got tired of cold feet. The $200 was ultimately worth it.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-02-23, 07:44 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
If you ride regularly in a area where there is a real winter, then winter shoes make a lot of sense. I've a few pairs of winter shoes and they are worth every penny. I've found over the years to buy a shoe that is a half, or even full, size larger than what I normally wear so that they can accommodate thicker socks, as well as on those mornings when it's -20C charcoal toe warmers. Having toe warmers on snug shoes does nothing as it chokes all the oxygen out.

The combination of two pairs of shoes, sizes 43 and 44, with thick/thin wool socks, neoprene shoe covers/toe warmers, and charcoal warmers will take me from 5*C down to about -25*C. Any colder than that, then I'll drive because Shimano hydraulic brakes do work so well.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 02-02-23, 08:22 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
If you ride regularly in a area where there is a real winter, then winter shoes make a lot of sense.
I don't have much winter, I should have put that above as one other reason for not buying winter shoes. I think tomorrow morning will be my coldest bike this year, it will be around 22F/-5C.
Old 02-03-23, 02:24 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I bought some Sidi winter boots several years ago and have used them some with good results. Lately I have been riding a bike with rat trap pedals and Birkenstock London shoes in temperatures as low as -8F. I have been surprised at how warm the Birkenstocks are, just because of their huge toe box. They also are real stable on the pedals, the tread interfaces well. They are quite inferior to the Sidi boots when I come out of the saddle and hammer, but they're nice for running to the store and back to pick something up quickly.

Last edited by randallr; 02-03-23 at 02:26 PM. Reason: add link
Likes For randallr:
Old 02-11-23, 08:45 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
I’m one of those who can’t really keep feet warm, or have to limit exposure time. Best solution I’ve found is Sorel felt lined boots, on flat pedals with grip studs. They work, and I prefer not to clip in for slippery conditions.
Likes For canalligators:
Old 02-18-23, 08:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I paid about $200 for Shimano winter shoes a year ago. I don't wear them often, but I'm happy I got them. I tried so many other ideas, and this is the first one that works.

I also inadvertently increased my feet's tolerance for cold over the last couple of years. I was living in the country for the first two years of Pandemic, and every morning, before getting dressed, I stepped outside and stood for only a few seconds. I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but it seems to have worked for me. And it's not a complete solution but it's worth something.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-18-23, 09:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I broke down and bought 45 North FasterKatts several years ago. I had several systems of produce bags and socks. at time shoe covers and other times neoprene booties but the FasterKatts are simpler, easier to put on and take off (for that agimg man's run to the rest room upon arrival), walk better at the farmers market and don't rub and wear out my cranks.

Yes, $200. And they are only rated 25F. (On this skinny, always cold guy, they are actually fine if not truly warm for 3-4 hours in 25F. (Portland, OR. That covers the vast majority of our winters.) Given the veracity of this rating, I fully believe their boot a step colder is good that that temp rating. You warm blooded types can probably take them down a lot colder.

Related to boots, winter shoes and this topic - I made "gaiters" after I bought the boots to keep water from running down my tights and into the boots. (I've got long legs. The cuffs never reach the boot/shoe tops, even standing.) Bought 300 weight stretch windblock outdoor fabric. Cut a band about 7" high that fits tight around my ankle under my tights or warmers and over my boot tops. Velcro strip in back to close.

I did this for water but very quickly found that keeping the wind off my ankles meant delivering warm blood to my feet! What a difference. I now wear them with my regular shoes on dry 40s days just because it feels better late in rides.
Old 02-24-23, 01:28 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
Today on half day Friday I took them out for their first test ride of 3+ hours in 32-degree weather
I trust you are out there right now. I'm inside w/ a head cold & nose bleed. tested negative for c, twice. itching to get out there. walked out back, perfect conditions right now, not deep, hard pack w/ some ice

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-25-23 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-24-23, 02:07 PM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
I bought the same Shimano winter boots a couple of years ago. Initially I hated them because on the first ride in 30 degree F. my toes still got cold.

I kept experimenting with layering (even used Neoprene booties over the winter shoes) and now I love them. They work better that very thick neoprene booties with summer shoes and wool or fleece socks with toe warmers. My toes were always cold in upstate NY winters, limiting my riding time to about 45 min to 1 hour the most, even with chemical warmers and two neoprene booties over the summer shoes.

The system that works for me now is the following: one thin wool or silk sock, thin chemical toe warmer and then fleece expedition sock or wool sock inside one size larger Shimano winter boots. The trick is to expose the chemical warmer to air for about 15-20 minutes before putting your foot into the boot . The system works for me in 20 deg. weather for 3 to 4 hours.

I always had cold toes and fingers during winter riding; now using Swany ski gloves and Shimano winter boots I can ride all day in 20-30 deg. weather