Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Sobering News for All of Us

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Sobering News for All of Us

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-23, 10:35 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Distracted driving needs to be treated like drunk driving. Fines, jail time, and suspended license. Killing someone on a repeated offense counts as murder. To me, the biggest problem in this country is that we don’t revoke privileges when people abuse them. Don’t complain to me that you now have to take a bus/cab/bike to work when your decisions made someone else never get to do anything ever again.
A suspended license means nothing nowadays, it seems. People continue to drive, and if caught, they get a ticket and fine. It's not like they are going to lose their license (and it wouldn't matter to them if they did, they would drive anyway.)
Ideally, if caught driving on a suspended license, the car that person was operating is impounded and crushed, unless reported as stolen, at which point the driver is now charged with felony auto theft. This would prevent family members or friends from letting them borrow their vehicle, and would certainly discourage anyone from driving while suspended. Hit them where it hurts - the wallet.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-29-23, 04:04 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
I posted a similar linked article to this one here in A&S about a month ago. Since it mentioned George Floyd as a reason the cops don't do their job enforcing traffic laws anymore (as does this linked article) my post got moved to P&R. I didn't protest but moving my post, or this one, away from A&S is throwing the baby out with the bath water. Stats show the roads are getting more dangerous for EVERYBODY due to many causes. This is the point. Not the partly political how and why, which is totally irrelevant to any crushed cyclist who didn't get the memo that the roads are becoming increasingly dangerous.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 04-29-23, 04:12 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by jolly_codger
...Please stay safe out there...
I (we) as individuals have very little control over all of the other nincompoops occupying our public roadways. But we DO have 100% control over what WE do to avoid those nincompoops. As the conditions worsened I took actions to protect myself so I don't die waiting for the government to take some (inadequate) action. I ride more circuitous, lonely back streets whenever possible and do my recreational riding on trails, not roads. Others will have a different approach.

My hope is that auto insurance companies all pull out of states that do not legislate and enforce public safety on roadways. Just like flood insurance companies deserted communities that are always flooding. This is our only hope for meaningful change IMO.
Old 04-29-23, 11:42 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I posted a similar linked article to this one here in A&S about a month ago. Since it mentioned George Floyd as a reason the cops don't do their job enforcing traffic laws anymore (as does this linked article) my post got moved to P&R. I didn't protest but moving my post, or this one, away from A&S is throwing the baby out with the bath water. Stats show the roads are getting more dangerous for EVERYBODY due to many causes. This is the point. Not the partly political how and why, which is totally irrelevant to any crushed cyclist who didn't get the memo that the roads are becoming increasingly dangerous.
For cops to enforce traffic laws to any effect you'd need a lot more cops. a LOT more cops. Like a million more in NYC. A good 100K more in my city, Portland, OR. We have less than 300. For the whole city. No, the enforcement has to be done at the judicial level. If there were more cops they WOULD just spend all their time over policing ethnic neighborhoods and the only drivers they would interact with are those they profile and not those actually breaking road rules. But when there has been a crash, and maybe loss of life, that's when the courts could do something substantive. Word would get around. People would fear jail more than a suspended license. They wouldn't do things that could get them imprisoned.
Old 04-30-23, 06:01 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So my question is why are we not worried about figuring out why the other 70% of the accidents are happening and doing something about that. .
A few members of this forum scold me when I try to drill down into the why.
Old 04-30-23, 06:06 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
For cops to enforce traffic laws to any effect you'd need a lot more cops. a LOT more cops. Like a million more in NYC. A good 100K more in my city, Portland, OR. We have less than 300. For the whole city. No, the enforcement has to be done at the judicial level. If there were more cops they WOULD just spend all their time over policing ethnic neighborhoods and the only drivers they would interact with are those they profile and not those actually breaking road rules. But when there has been a crash, and maybe loss of life, that's when the courts could do something substantive. Word would get around. People would fear jail more than a suspended license. They wouldn't do things that could get them imprisoned.
You don't have to answer this, but I'll ask in hopes of getting you to think about policing from a strategic standpoint. If you were in charge of deploying police forces, where would you deploy them and why? Most police managers deploy forces where there is the most serious crime and the most calls for service.

Most of the time police officers make stops, they don't know the race or gender of the driver. Darkness, window tint, glare and the distance at which the infraction is detected most often preclude it.
Old 04-30-23, 06:18 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I'd like to see unmarked distracted driving enforcement units established. In my limited commute, it's rare that I don't see multiple examples of violations of the law coupled with a cell phone distraction. As an example, I'll see someone drift out of their lane, then when I am in a position to see them, there's a cell phone in their face. Same with left lane lurkers on the interstate. With that and insurance companies treating it as seriously as DUI, it might make a difference. I'd also like to see some kind of implied consent law. When someone is involved in a crash, their cell phone data becomes available to investigators. If the phone shows hands on activity, it's a violation of the law.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-30-23, 07:53 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I wish the states were like the UK in the sense that you could submit video footage online, and then the registered owner gets a notice of intended prosecution.
Old 05-01-23, 12:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

That article was awful, based on the unsupported bloviating of a couple of cops and pretty much contradicted by everyone else the reporter talked to.
Old 05-01-23, 02:01 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_codger
This article is disheartening and scary as hell https://www.route-fifty.com/tech-dat...-shows/385648/

The US's narcissistic "**** everybody else, it's all about ME and screw everyone else's life, liberty & happiness" culture continues to grow unabated. Please stay safe out there and if anyone in your circles engages in this kind of behavior please tell them to wake the **** up before they end up killing someone.
John
Remember the 1960's ad slogan: "Watch out for the other guy!"
Old 05-02-23, 05:02 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
…My hope is that auto insurance companies all pull out of states that do not legislate and enforce public safety on roadways ….
How can we encourage that? For all practical purposes insurance purchase is state-mandated and premiums are adjusted to location. Floods are big single event hazards whereas road carnage is a steady trend. It is not in the lizard’s interest for crashes to eliminated.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You don't have to answer this, but I'll ask in hopes of getting you to think about policing from a strategic standpoint. If you were in charge of deploying police forces, where would you deploy them and why? ….
Police could focus on public safety instead of just tickets.. not where but how.

I was JRA when suddenly the voice of God boomed “That was an unsafe lane change.” Ends up we have a stealth Camaro patrol unit with a loudspeaker and I suspect a motorist cut him off. 5 second interaction versus at least 15 minutes for a ticket.

Why aren’t egregious speeders sentenced to community service in emergency medical units until they’ve helped at 5 fatalities?

I’m sure you can think of some better ideas for the Cars Police Courts Complex.

There is a big opportunity for changing enforcement to be effective at reducing injury and death on the roads.

But we have to want to change.
Old 05-02-23, 05:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by flangehead
How can we encourage that? For all practical purposes insurance purchase is state-mandated and premiums are adjusted to location. Floods are big single event hazards whereas road carnage is a steady trend. It is not in the lizard’s interest for crashes to eliminated.

Police could focus on public safety instead of just tickets.. not where but how.

I was JRA when suddenly the voice of God boomed “That was an unsafe lane change.” Ends up we have a stealth Camaro patrol unit with a loudspeaker and I suspect a motorist cut him off. 5 second interaction versus at least 15 minutes for a ticket.

Why aren’t egregious speeders sentenced to community service in emergency medical units until they’ve helped at 5 fatalities?

There is a big opportunity for changing enforcement to be effective at reducing injury and death on the roads.

I don't know about you, but if I'm in bad enough shape to require EMT rescue, I don't want anyone doing their community service on that call.
Old 05-02-23, 05:44 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead

I have known a couple of state troopers who developed PTSD from helping at road fatalities. Being forced to witness road fatality and potentially develop a life altering trauma injury yourself is probably the single worst idea I have read on this forum. Making someone do that 5 times is beyond idiotic.
Old 05-02-23, 09:48 AM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Road fatalities are not up in my county.

2016 - 4 fatal crashes
2017 - 8 fatal crashes
2018 - 3 fatal crashes
2019 - 9 fatal crashes
2020 - 6 fatal crashes

Distracted driving hardly factors anywhere near as much as alcohol and impairment, which were involved in at least 9 of the 30 fatal crashes here between 2016 and 2022. Distracted driving is reported in the data, but for none of the 30 fatalities.
I don't have complete data for more recent years, but I found 1 fatal crash in 2021 and 2 in 2022.
None involved bicycles and 3 involved pedestrians. One pedestrian was lying across the highway, one exited the vehicle on the highway and walked in the middle of the lane in the dark, and another was a hit and run on a side road in the dark.
Since 2016, the only bicycle-involved fatality in the 3 surrounding counties was a single incident where a bicyclist improperly crossed the road.

I am not a cell phone user. I do not own one. The main takeaway for me is that cell phone users are not nearly so dangerous as drunks, stoners, and tweekers. Bicycling is relatively safe compared to driving motor vehicles at far higher speeds and on dangerous roads. Many of the fatalities we've had are on high-speed roads with no center divider, and a tragic one last year involved a drunk (previously convicted of multiple DUI's) speeding the wrong way on the highway colliding head-on and killing a young woman.

Last edited by greatbasin; 05-02-23 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-02-23, 10:51 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by greatbasin
Road fatalities are not up in my county.

2016 - 4 fatal crashes
2017 - 8 fatal crashes
2018 - 3 fatal crashes
2019 - 9 fatal crashes
2020 - 6 fatal crashes

Distracted driving hardly factors anywhere near as much as alcohol and impairment, which were involved in at least 9 of the 30 fatal crashes here between 2016 and 2022. Distracted driving is reported in the data, but for none of the 30 fatalities.
I don't have complete data for more recent years, but I found 1 fatal crash in 2021 and 2 in 2022.
None involved bicycles and 3 involved pedestrians. One pedestrian was lying across the highway, one exited the vehicle on the highway and walked in the middle of the lane in the dark, and another was a hit and run on a side road in the dark.
Since 2016, the only bicycle-involved fatality in the 3 surrounding counties was a single incident where a bicyclist improperly crossed the road.

I am not a cell phone user. I do not own one. The main takeaway for me is that cell phone users are not nearly so dangerous as drunks, stoners, and tweekers. Bicycling is relatively safe compared to driving motor vehicles at far higher speeds and on dangerous roads. Many of the fatalities we've had are on high-speed roads with no center divider, and a tragic one last year involved a drunk (previously convicted of multiple DUI's) speeding the wrong way on the highway colliding head-on and killing a young woman.
I have a hunch that we don't capture nearly all of the distracted driver data. Are cell phone forensics pulled for every crash? There are many distractions other than cell phones. What we do have for data tells us that about 3,000 deaths per year result from cell phone distractions. Drunk driving deaths total about 11,000 per year. Drug driving deaths? I just did a really quick look for that data and couldn't find much. I suspect it's pretty high.

I am curious as to how you concluded that bicycling is relatively safe compared to motor vehicle operation.

How is safe defined in the context in which you used it?
What is the source of the exposure data for each group?
Is exposure tabulated on a per mile basis or a per hour basis?
Old 05-02-23, 01:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I am curious as to how you concluded that bicycling is relatively safe compared to motor vehicle operation.

Motor vehicles definitely create more external danger.

Here's a fun semantics/statistical issue--if a bicyclist is struck and killed by a SUV, is that a bicycling fatality or a motor vehicle fatality?
Old 05-03-23, 12:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I ride roads & bike commute less & ride more paved & unpaved trails + mountain bike. road riding on quiet Sundays can be nice
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-03-23, 02:57 PM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
I have a hunch that we don't capture nearly all of the distracted driver data. Are cell phone forensics pulled for every crash? There are many distractions other than cell phones. What we do have for data tells us that about 3,000 deaths per year result from cell phone distractions. Drunk driving deaths total about 11,000 per year. Drug driving deaths? I just did a really quick look for that data and couldn't find much. I suspect it's pretty high.

There is no practical way to do what you're asking. The risk exposure cannot be correlated. That is why I used the conditional term "relatively" and did not claim that bicycling is safe compared to motor vehicle operation. It's understood that such a claim would be unsubstantiated.
Old 05-04-23, 07:15 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 391 Posts
It's gotten to the point where I don't even want to drive my vehicle on the roads anymore - and its a full sized 2500 pick em up truck, let alone my bike.

Not just alcohol, intitled idiots or cell phones - but the smell of weed coming out of many many vehicles is amazing.

On my early Sunday morning rides, about the only time I will go out and ride on the farm country roads around me, wide open farm country... I have names for the roads. Fireball road, Tito's Court, Lite Beer lane - because empty bottles of these things are strewn everywhere along the side of the road. Fireball road is 8 miles, wide shoulders - awesome road. I counted 57 empty bottles of Fireball on that road in one ride. Small 2oz bottles, and empty pint bottles. Along with empty vodka bottles and beer cans all over the place.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 05-06-23, 04:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
From the article:
Safety advocates point to other factors that could be at play, including heavier and more powerful new vehicles, street designs that prioritize motorist speed over pedestrian protection, and the increased prevalence of tech tools integrated into vehicle dashboards that could distract motorists.
If you make streets (not roads) complex enough to make bike riders and pedestrians comfortable, they will be complex enough that drivers will drive slower and pay more attention. The hard part will be to rein in the vehicular arms race, as auto manufacturers are raking in the money on the gigantic single-occupancy vehicles.
Old 05-30-23, 04:02 PM
Wasted Tuition

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woah
Old 05-31-23, 04:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I had a pickup pull a foot and a half into the bike lane and miss me inches yesterday afternoon. There was a faster cyclist behind me. When he passed I asked it he thought that was intentional. He said yes; did the same thing to him. I wasn't thinking fast enough to catch his license numbed.
repeat offender who faces no consequences is might probably do it again, maybe even brag about it, to his expletive buddies, then they might try it, maybe w/ a bad outcome for a cyclist. report it, maybe get get a camera, next time see if it's the same truck & get the plate, stop the bike, text the plate # to yourself & make the call to report it right there & then. if the cops say they can't do anything about it, just say you are calling to report it & explain what happened again & repeat the description & plate #. the call is recorded. if it happens again w/ the same driver there will be a record. if this keeps going unreported, it doesn't help cyclists

happened to me right in my town, by a Prius driver. both hands on the wheels & his eyes made contact with mine in his rear view mirror. no question it was intentional. he got stopped in traffic shortly after, in front of out police/fire station. I pulled up to his open driver's window & gave him a tongue lashing. he started to say he didn't see me, I called BS & told him I saw him looking right at me while he was doing it. he didn't make contact but it was assault, no battery. I didn't call the cops but maybe I should have
Old 06-14-23, 10:47 AM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
My brother in christ I've been having these problems with drivers for over 20 years. In 2010 and 2011 each I was hit and nearly killed while cycling by drivers staring down at their phones who each decided to turn their moving vehicles into me while looking downward at their laps into a phone screen. (like, I could see them, because it was night both times and the glare of a phone screen a few inches from a face is unmistakable). Did either driver get cited for this? Of course not. No evidence except a tired cold shivering bicyclist with a broken collarbone sitting in torn hi-viz spandex by the side of the road, next to a pouty cute college student who repeatedly says "sorry officers I couldn't see him" (lit up like a Christmas tree... my emphasis).

Meanwhile we sit here debating the difference between a hybrid and a gravel bike. Never mind that the trend of going back towards 90s mtbs began around 2013 as a way to get the hell away from these licensed to kill distracted psychos without going full bro-brap.
Old 06-14-23, 08:30 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by cellery
...the trend of going back towards 90s mtbs began around 2013 as a way to get the hell away from these licensed to kill distracted psychos...
ME! It's true. Those psychos will have to traverse a lot of vegetation to get a good shot at me these days.
Old 06-15-23, 02:09 PM
jolly_codger

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
They'll get around to moving it to A&S eventually. Don't know why it's so hard for folks to figure out where to post.
My sincere apology for the error.
John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.