Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Is 60mm rear travel enough to save your back? Trek e-caliber

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-23, 08:55 PM
ChillDilettante

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Lemond Croix de Fer, Trek Domane 5.2, Ibis Ripley AF, Raleigh Sport 3 speed, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I was in the shop to pick up my road bike and a Trek E-caliber at a major discount caught my eye. I don't think I'm ready for an ebike yet (still want to earn it), but can see some advantages. The cool thing about this bike is that the battery/motor can be removed and then it can be ridden like an xc bike (like 27.5 lbs).

I currently have an Ibis Ripley AF and love what a back saver it is, but don't love the weight.

So, would the super minor 60mm of rear travel on this one bring back my hardtail lower back pain? I'm riding some sort of flowy, but also rocky Tahoe area trails. Any other advice on ebikes or this model appreciated.
Old 05-03-23, 09:07 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
If the Supercaliber (which this is based upon) is any guide, it is a little bit more forgiving than a hard-tail, but much less so that a dual-pivot full suspension. (The seat stays flex instead of having the pivot.) The motor/battery is similar to what they use in their Domane e-bike, which really puts it into the realm of pedal assist rather than one of those 60 lb Specialized motorcyle-like monsters. I view that as an asset, but many do not.

If I got to choose an e-bike for free today, the e-Caliber is probably what I would select. You could always put a high-quality conventional suspension seat post on it (Redshift or Kinetix something along those lines) if the suspension were to prove inadequate. Wide supple tires can also help a lot.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-03-23, 10:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
If the Supercaliber (which this is based upon) is any guide, it is a little bit more forgiving than a hard-tail, but much less so that a dual-pivot full suspension. (The seat stays flex instead of having the pivot.) The motor/battery is similar to what they use in their Domane e-bike, which really puts it into the realm of pedal assist rather than one of those 60 lb Specialized motorcyle-like monsters. I view that as an asset, but many do not.

If I got to choose an e-bike for free today, the e-Caliber is probably what I would select. You could always put a high-quality conventional suspension seat post on it (Redshift or Kinetix something along those lines) if the suspension were to prove inadequate. Wide supple tires can also help a lot.
I don't get your comparison? You are comparing a lightweight bike to a heavy bike from a manufacturer who also makes lightweight bikes and your weight is a bit off as well unless maybe talking the lower end full suspension Kenevo but that is a full suspension E-enduro bike with 180mm suspension and a full size motor and larger battery. The only bike that Specialized sells that is Motorcycle like is the Globe line of cargo e-mopeds but those are designed to compete with rad crap and other similar stuff and is less on the bicycle end as it is throttled.

If you were comparing to say a Specialized SL model you would have an apt comparison and then you could say "Well the Trek is better because X" but comparing two very different e-bikes is silly when you could have a more apples to apples comparison.

That said yes a Kinekt would be a fine choice if you didn't find the suspension as helpful. 60mm isn't much probably some old school folks would have killed for that back in the day but these days it isn't a lot but could take some edge off and if the kinematics are good it should ride nicely.

I haven't had any time on Fazua yet but from talking with some folks in the know who have also ridden the Mahle created Specialized SL motor, the SL is a bit better. On paper the new Fazua is great but I don't think it translated as well in actual feel which is key. However I would still love to try it but weights are pretty similar between the two systems and both Mahle and Fazua are German like Bosch and Brose two other major e-bike motor manufacturers so they are of good quality. In the end you have to ride both and get a sense.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-03-23, 10:48 PM
ChillDilettante

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Lemond Croix de Fer, Trek Domane 5.2, Ibis Ripley AF, Raleigh Sport 3 speed, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

It's set up tubeless and has carbon wheels. Probably pretty forgiving for a not-really full suspension. I'm bummed that they'll only let me test ride close by (flat, city), so no way to really tell how it'd be on trails. I guess I could bomb a lot of curbs! A redshift seatpost probably wouldn't work with a dropper?
Old 05-04-23, 05:10 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Do you have pre-existing back problems?
Old 05-04-23, 08:24 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I don't get your comparison?.
Trek makes an e-bike version of their full-suspension XC bike (called the Supercaliber). It is the same bike with a lightweight motor and battery that can be removed.

If you mean comparing it to a Turbo Levo, you are right, and that was actually my point.
Old 05-04-23, 08:25 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by ChillDilettante
It's set up tubeless and has carbon wheels. Probably pretty forgiving for a not-really full suspension. I'm bummed that they'll only let me test ride close by (flat, city), so no way to really tell how it'd be on trails. I guess I could bomb a lot of curbs! A redshift seatpost probably wouldn't work with a dropper?
PNW Components makes a dropper/suspension post that has been favorably reviewed:

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/produc...-post-external

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 05-04-23 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-04-23, 10:40 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I agree with the consensus above. The bike alone will not suffice for you, but probably would be acceptable with a good (Cane Creek etc) suspension post. My back isn't the greatest (probably from riding rigid too long, but gets along with a Thudbuster or Kinekt), although usually I ride a FS Superlite (18 y/o, 35K miles off road).
Likes For 2old:
Old 05-04-23, 03:29 PM
ChillDilettante

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
Do you have pre-existing back problems?
Yes, though hasn't been a problem lately. l've been faithfully doing exercises recommended by my physical therapist and switched to a 130/140 full suspension. My back hasn't been an issue since, but really bothered me when I was riding a hardtail.
Old 05-05-23, 09:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Trek makes an e-bike version of their full-suspension XC bike (called the Supercaliber). It is the same bike with a lightweight motor and battery that can be removed.

If you mean comparing it to a Turbo Levo, you are right, and that was actually my point.
Yes knew that first part. XC bikes getting weird or maybe not weird I don't know anymore.

I am unsure of the point then because nobody mentioned the full power Levo previous to you talking about it. I am just not sure what your point is on that even if agreeing with me I am still a bit confused.
Old 05-05-23, 10:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The point is a lot of mountain e-bikes are extremely heavy and off-putting to some. They tend to be based on enduro frames, components, travel, etc.

The e-Caliber is based on a comparatively lightweight sort-of full suspension XC bike, has a minimal battery and motor, and thus maintains the feel of a lighter, more agile XC bike.

Many people prefer the former. I don't have one, but if I were to get an e-mountain bike, I would seriously consider the e-caliber for this reason, which seems to be similar to what the OP is interested in. They are reduced about $2K right now, which makes it tempting.

Some people have complained that the default tuning is sub-optimal, and the battery swells, making it difficult to remove (which you have to do for charging). Maybe that is why they reduced it more than the usual TREK nominal $500 discount.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-06-23, 10:48 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Polaris OBark ahh I got you now! Agreed some of that stuff can be quite big and heavy.
Old 05-07-23, 05:40 PM
ChillDilettante

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I test rode it briefly. The assist is crazy...I've never ridden an ebike. I can see how it'd make you feel like a superhero.

I took it over some curbs and such, and yeah, it was a rougher ride than I want these days. The squishy dropper post might help, but I think I'm too full suspension spoiled now.

Thanks all for the input.
Likes For ChillDilettante: